***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I bought this Christenson 7'2" tracker yesterday for about the price of a six pack and a carton of ciggies.
Going to take it for a paddle soon. Hope it goes better than the 8' tracker 2.0 I bought new a few years back.
That has the dubious distinction of being the worst midlength I've ever ridden. IMG_2361.jpgIMG_2360.jpg

Edit: Well the 7'2" was a dog as well...off to sale you go!

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Bit sad. But let’s be honest, will probably become a top-seller for FW
I'd lay money on the reason they have introduced it is to fill the gap that was left by the Harley Ingleby Mid6 being taken out of their board lineup by the loss of the Thunderbolt boards. It has more foam than the Mid6's in comparable sizes and is touted to have a better low end range, be more user friendly, so the demographic is nailed.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
7'10 Thick Lizzy w/ the runners in.

Still can't say enough good stuff about mine, only riding it as a single so far. Haven't tried it with the Bonzer runners yet but keep hearing good things.

Real fun stuff on the channel behind the video "Blue" from Japan for guys who swing this way.
I can't tell if you joke, but the 8'0 v.Bowls I got from Lovelace is super fun time in small clean waves. Really improved my hip wiggling when I'm trimming in the middle of it, but can also let me step back and turn. Before I got it, I heard so much about how it's so specific, yada, yada, yada, but it grovels good for me and is super fun.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
whats wrong with that Tracker Pete
It's a so so paddler around the flats which is normal for boards with significant belly in the front but doesn't glide into waves with anything special either. Once up and riding it just has a single gear feel. It's going as fast as it goes, resisting anything i could do to get it to giddy up. That's super frustrating to me.
Since I had the 8' tracker I've owned an 8' Outlier which has a similar planshape and belly up front which is an easy to ride board with speed to burn. Stand forward and steer it with ankle movement. Step back and engage the rail for a carve. The 7'2" was just more of the thoroughly retro low performance feel of the 8'er. It sold within a few hours. No sellers remorse.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
It's a so so paddler around the flats which is normal for boards with significant belly in the front but doesn't glide into waves with anything special either. Once up and riding it just has a single gear feel. It's going as fast as it goes, resisting anything i could do to get it to giddy up. That's super frustrating to me.
Since I had the 8' tracker I've owned an 8' Outlier which has a similar planshape and belly up front which is an easy to ride board with speed to burn. Stand forward and steer it with ankle movement. Step back and engage the rail for a carve. The 7'2" was just more of the thoroughly retro low performance feel of the 8'er. It sold within a few hours. No sellers remorse.
tracker hate. i dont kno. could be the leash string which is truly embrassing or it could be the fin which is too big and too far back in the box.

thought you all love ursrlves some bob mctee. in my ops the fundamental design is simple and solid. cant speak to that cc in particular but hard to fuvk up and old single design that works average in average waves

i have one. a rincon tracker. not a cc. that i like to take out when i think i need a reset. slow the brain down. put the board in trim. do a few simple turns. a cover or two. high line a few and race some sections. keep it simple and leave it at that

Reactions: urchined

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
tracker hate. i dont kno. could be the leash string which is truly embrassing or it could be the fin which is too big and too far back in the box.

thought you all love ursrlves some bob mctee. in my ops the fundamental design is simple and solid. cant speak to that cc in particular but hard to fuvk up and old single design that works average in average waves

i have one. a rincon tracker. not a cc. that i like to take out when i think i need a reset. slow the brain down. put the board in trim. do a few simple turns. a cover or two. high line a few and race some sections. keep it simple and leave it at that
The leash string is a through the board from the fin box one so is what is. The least of this dogs problems is how a leash attaches to it.
I moved the fin forward before riding it. Not too much fin. Bit of an optical illusion with the pic angle.

Last edited:

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Recently grabbed a 7’8 Beamish channel bottom twin. Board is absolutely a boat but got a few on a head high barreling day a bit south of me. How do you all size these boards? Or is that irrelevant for this design?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I bought this Christenson 7'2" tracker yesterday for about the price of a six pack and a carton of ciggies.
Going to take it for a paddle soon. Hope it goes better than the 8' tracker 2.0 I bought new a few years back.
That has the dubious distinction of being the worst midlength I've ever ridden. View attachment 178278View attachment 178279

Edit: Well the 7'2" was a dog as well...off to sale you go!
How much you want for it?

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I think sizing is personal preference- I like mids between 6'10-7'4".

I want some glide and trim and I want to turn it.

I don't want a shortboard feel, at all.
How much does width/thickness matter?

(don’t make a penis joke, don’t make a penis joke, don’t make a penis joke, don’t make a penis joke)

May 18, 2016
I liked it better when they called those funboards. I dunno what the classifications are on calling something a midlength, but im pretty sure it isn't in the mid 6' range with rocker and 3-4 fins

Reactions: sdsrfr and Havoc