The ***Official*** Mental Health Thread

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I thought you retired early to get away from all that
No, I retired early to surf decent waves in warm water 300 days a year. With no income other than what I had when I retired. That’s 22 years. I got mine, you started the thread.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Try adding more salt in your diet and drinking more water.

Ice baths too.

Magnesisum

Saunas.

Ice baths are my #1.

You get a drug like high.

And you start craviing super cold.

I just did 15 minutes the sauna.

I feel GREAT!

You could get the same results from a good NorCal surf session...

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I gym, I surf, I play Call of Duty and smash kids less half my age. I play with my kids, annoy my wife and don't stress about things I simply can't control. I look at pretty young things in the office and ride a bike. I shout at the TV when my team is playing , drink good whiskey. I listen to people way smarter than me on podcasts and hear what they have to say and read a fantasy book as much as I can.

Those are the things that make me happy, so i try to do all of the above as much as I can and keeps my mental health, healthy. .

Reactions: jamesgang

Topazslider

OTF status
Jan 9, 2018
I definitely need some kind of mental health therapy since as I have been aging, I have been raging a lot. Like when I am the only guy out and some guy paddles out and sits next to me, I get so pissed I can't surf anymore.

Reactions: Aruka

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Whenever I'm down, I look at my kid and think... "if I had done anything just a taddy bit different that little guy might not be here", so I'm glad for anything I did so far, even the fuckups.

I'll admit, I wish my salary met my skills and overall potential, it doesn't even come close and that pisses me off a bit. in the end it's my own damn fault for being so damn accomodated. I'm not really into taking risks and that's to my own detriment most of the time. Kid is growing up and I'll need more moneyz, that will have to change. My main source of stress right now is directly related to money, not being able to do the trips that I want and not being 100% secure about my kids future.

I'm so superficial.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
This time of year (November to April) really messes with me. Love my wife and kids, don't get me wrong but my life feels like the worst sort of purgatory and I hate it. Drop kids off at at school, sit in office all day (which bores the absolute **** out of me), go home, fighting traffic both ways, get home for dinner which is absolute hell, watch a little TV with the wife, rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat, occasional spin.

I've always been very active and this phase of my life is extraordinarily sedentary and repetitive. Even though I have a lot going for me in my life, the stagnancy gets depressing and I always have the feeling that I'm trapped. Even more so when it's dark most of the time and surfing is a maybe one day a month if I get lucky. My available surf time seems to rarely combine with when it's actually quality surf too. Feels great to get in the water when I do but it's a slight scratch that barely eases a really deep-seated itch. And I always feel like the clock is hanging over my head when I do surf so it's never really a free, relaxing surf - there's always pressure. And that can make what should make a fun session stressful. And with such little surf time, I feel like I am trying to just get back to 10% of where I was before instead of progressing with each session.

I really need that alone time where I can away from everything with no constraints or pressure and I can count on one hand how often I get that a year. My root canal last year was one of those times. Actually, I found that extremely relaxing.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
This time of year (November to April) really messes with me. Love my wife and kids, don't get me wrong but my life feels like the worst sort of purgatory and I hate it. Drop kids off at at school, sit in office all day (which bores the absolute **** out of me), go home, fighting traffic both ways, get home for dinner which is absolute hell, watch a little TV with the wife, rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat, occasional spin.

I've always been very active and this phase of my life is extraordinarily sedentary and repetitive. Even though I have a lot going for me in my life, the stagnancy gets depressing and I always have the feeling that I'm trapped. Even more so when it's dark most of the time and surfing is a maybe one day a month if I get lucky. My available surf time seems to rarely combine with when it's actually quality surf too. Feels great to get in the water when I do but it's a slight scratch that barely eases a really deep-seated itch. And I always feel like the clock is hanging over my head when I do surf so it's never really a free, relaxing surf - there's always pressure. And that can make what should make a fun session stressful. And with such little surf time, I feel like I am trying to just get back to 10% of where I was before instead of progressing with each session.

I really need that alone time where I can away from everything with no constraints or pressure and I can count on one hand how often I get that a year.
When you feel down remember you could have married that crazy chick from before your new life. How would your mental health be if that had happened?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
When you feel down remember you could have married that crazy chick from before your new life. How would your mental health be if that had happened?
Fair point. A root canal would also have been more relaxing than being with her long-term.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Kent, if you really want it its light at 6 AM. Make Saturday and Sunday early your time.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Kent, if you really want it its light at 6 AM. Make Saturday and Sunday early your time.
During the week is a no-go since I take the kids to school in the morning.

This last weekend was out. Possibly this one? Hopefully there's something out there. Even waist-high and onshore at 20 is fine.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Even waist-high and onshore at 20 is fine.
That's my philosophy. But living 1000 miles away from mother ocean will do that to you. Couple months ago I was getting my semi annual surf session in knee high LJ shores and was every bit as stoked as I was surfing head high Tongan reef back in 2000 when I was fortunate enough to be surfing daily.

Its all relative.

Back in 2000 I would have been depressed if my weekend didn't include some sort of major entertainment - sailing, dirt-biking in the dez, etc... Now after 18 years of family life and racing rats, I'm stoked just to mow the lawn and drink a beer.

But it hasn't gotten so bad that I'm looking forward to a root canal ;-)

Reactions: VaB

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I dread Winter. Really relate to a lot of what he who races rats said. Can also relate to he who said in 20 years or so I will cease to exist.
Need to exercise, that really helps(especially surfing)but there's a highs vs. lows balance that won't be ignored and it's often a day to day struggle for me.
There's often no reason for a funk but there it is.
I waited over a week for the waves that came today. Today was the day to surf, but it turned out waist high and I didn't go.
I should have.
It's snowing here today.
It's gonna be a long Winter.
I should have gone.
There will be more waves soon.
There it is.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
the NPAC forecast for the Islands for the next few weeks gives me mental health

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I'm basically white-knuckling mental health right now.

Without exercise, surfing and weed I don't know what I'd do.
Not really drinking though, and I think that cuts down on dangerous behaviors.

Reactions: Kento