*** The Official Loggin' Thread ***

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
yeah, for me riding a longboard is more mellow and relaxed and probably not shortboardable. more like this

not sure you could have much fun on a shortboard on a day like this and for those who get better surf regularly and refuse to surf this stuff, more power to you, if I got good waves, I might not surf this either.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
the key for me to enjoy longboarding is to pretend that it's not surfing. or rather that it's seperate from my normal surfing experience. i don't know how else to explain it but basically if I can approach it as something completely different and not have any of my normal surfing expectations it is a lot of fun. like, if I compare it to shortboarding it kind of ruins it but if i just try to enjoy it objectively, as it's own thing, it can be super enjoyable. compared to riding a rippy little board longboarding is kind of dull but compared to sitting on the couch watching netflix or just about anything else, it's pretty rad. this sort of applies to midlength riding or bodyboarding as well. the less i try to impose my shortboarding experience and expectations onto these other things, the worse I surf and the less fun I have.

what is the saying, "comparison is the thief of joy"?

enjoy the thing for what it is.
just don't fcking paddle around me :cursing:

:roflmao:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Quinny is nuts.

I like riding a longboard. It's fun.
I was decent at it for a while.

Currently, I just have a kinda weird 2+1 a friend made. It's a touch too thin and the foil up the front gets real wafery. It does nice long cutties, but it's tough to get a good noseride. I keep it in Oceanside at my moms so there is something to ride if it's small when I visit.

I'd love to get something a bit more refined for my house now, but can't stomach what I would have to spend.

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
It’s been years since I rode my LB. The last time I did, it was the wrong board to
paddle out, but I still made the best of it, caught waves and kinda had a fun time.
I spent my formative years of learning on a LB so it’s still a good time when the conditions
are appropriate, like when it’s the only board that will catch waves.

That being said I have a blast riding logs as they were meant to be ridden… cross stepping, nose riding, drop knee turns, trimming…it‘s managing a chunk of moving real estate in a mellow market with nimble footwork and a deft touch.

I’ve had the same two boards for 20+ years now - 9’4” Tyler 305 model and a 9’ Takayama ITP.

Last edited:
Reactions: MathDebater