"The Official Knee Replacement Thread"

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Hurts like hell! when it acts up. VA say's anytime i wish. Scared AF and need advice.
BTW MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!
Had my left knee replaced around my 65th birthday. It only gets better when you follow your therapists directions. I do several leg exercises at the fit ness center daily. The problems/pain before surgery are gone. My insurance allows me to use Scripps (I only use VA for hearing aids) but I imagine that since TKRs are so common now you’ll be fine. Try to get a surgeon who has done hundreds of procedures if you can. G’luck John

Reactions: underdog

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
3 yrs ago allensarlo had his.knee replaced....he was surfing maibu 2.months later....2 yrs ago after talking to him.about it i replaced mine was surfing.malibu 2 month later...4 months for 90% recovery includes surf,kitesurf ,foilsurf, skateboard down the street...6 months went bak to jiu jitsu and skate the bowls.at venice skatepark...99%recovery of my 25yrs old self...im.49 now...3 yrs laterstil 99% srill cant do jumping jacks or play basketball or sprint across the street...can.jog 3 blocks.bak to.the car when i forgot.to.lock the door before.going surfing ut not sprint...didnt want to do that anytime soon anyway

gotta do stretching excercises every 2-3days or it starts tighter up on me

take your medicine...take your medication...take you medication....dont try to.tough it out...tried and was a.stoooopod.mistake...that sh!t HURTS and itll.slow.your recovery...but dont get hooked on the meds...i coul.feel.myself.slowly biulding the.craving for the opioids and got.scarred and quit...pain got really bad ans couldnt do.my rehab movements...

replcing it was the best thing ever!

underdog

Michael Peterson status
Jan 7, 2005
MAINEAGEBITCHES!
Had my left knee replaced around my 65th birthday. It only gets better when you follow your therapists directions. I do several leg exercises at the fit ness center daily. The problems/pain before surgery are gone. My insurance allows me to use Scripps (I only use VA for hearing aids) but I imagine that since TKRs are so common now you’ll be fine. Try to get a surgeon who has done hundreds of procedures if you can. G’luck John
THANK YOU !!!!
request... can I get your av to help me though rehabilitation? with your bedside humor??

Thanks and Happiest of New Year Doug

Reactions: john4surf

underdog

Michael Peterson status
Jan 7, 2005
MAINEAGEBITCHES!
3 yrs ago allensarlo had his.knee replaced....he was surfing maibu 2.months later....2 yrs ago after talking to him.about it i replaced mine was surfing.malibu 2 month later...4 months for 90% recovery includes surf,kitesurf ,foilsurf, skateboard down the street...6 months went bak to jiu jitsu and skate the bowls.at venice skatepark...99%recovery of my 25yrs old self...im.49 now...3 yrs laterstil 99% srill cant do jumping jacks or play basketball or sprint across the street...can.jog 3 blocks.bak to.the car when i forgot.to.lock the door before.going surfing ut not sprint...didnt want to do that anytime soon anyway

gotta do stretching excercises every 2-3days or it starts tighter up on me

take your medicine...take your medication...take you medication....dont try to.tough it out...tried and was a.stoooopod.mistake...that sh!t HURTS and itll.slow.your recovery...but dont get hooked on the meds...i coul.feel.myself.slowly biulding the.craving for the opioids and got.scarred and quit...pain got really bad ans couldnt do.my rehab movements...

replcing it was the best thing ever!
im not not 5 foot nothing...6-4 260.
Sarlo's and old school hero. but he doesn't have arthritis like I have (Ihope) and im not even 55!
Venice Florida bitches...home of No Fraud and white arthritic peeps.such as my current self.

Reactions: john4surf

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Friend #1 got one knee replaced last year (had ACL repair in 20s, then again in 30s, then in 40s had surgery to remove some gortex used in first surgery). Now in 50s.

Cut the head off the femur completely and replaced it.

Resurfaced tibia and stuck a new surface on it of same material as on femur.

Standing within 24 hrs. Walking by 48 hrs (about 10 feet of distance with help on either side).

Three months later, way less pain than before.

Six months, wondered by he waited.

YMMV.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
2 months? Damn that sounds like the recovery time for a scope. Most people with major knee surgery I've known couldn't do their activity for at least 6 months.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
2 months? Damn that sounds like the recovery time for a scope. Most people with major knee surgery I've known couldn't do their activity for at least 6 months.
I think it was about 2 weeks after surgery that I was to start physical therapy. A lady with a large brief case (like the kind commercial pilots used to carry) came to my house to conduct the initial interview and exam. My home is a 3 story attached in Cardiff. After intros, etc., I told her to let me carry her bag and follow me up to the 2d floor and proceeded to go up the 20 or so stairs with no problem. When we were walking into the living room, she asked me how I was doing. Told her no issues, she said P.T. May be boring and inconsequential. Went to 4-5 PT sessions and blew it off. Later, maybe 6-8 months my left knee was still and I worked it out at the fitness center leg machines. Not suggesting anyone do the same re TKR therapy but the surgery was a piece of cake.

• Haha