*** The Official Celebrity Sightings Thread***

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Back in the 60's, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans went to Kauai for a vacation and wanted to cruise the island in a convertible. I guess my dad was the only one on Kauai who had a convertible Cadillac. Anyway, they borrowed our car for the week and they came to our house a few times for dinner. They were regular folks, not pretentious. I'll bet most of the people don't know who they are.

I was a waiter for many years in Hawaii and San Diego. Met many famous people. The biggest tip I ever got was for a party of about 75 people on a private lanai in the restaurant I worked in Hawaii for the cast and crew of Conan the Barbarian. Of course Arnold and Gerry were there. There was soo much blow going down at that party. It was fun. Arnold and Gerry were cool.
Then you met surffuerte's wife because he said she was in the movie :)

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Served Maggie and Jake Gyllenhall, and Peter Sarsgaard last night. Really nice people, to servers anyway. But generally, IME, people who are nice to servers are nice people.

Oh, and I sat next to Vince Staples a couple weeks ago while waiting for a burger at Burger She Wrote. The burgers there are fucking great.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Jeff Bridges and his wife were in for dinner last night. Nobody recognized him but me, not even any of the tourists or working staff. I told one the waitresses and she said “Jeff who”. I dropped water at their table and just said, ” if I may be bold, I really liked you in the Big Lebowski, but True Grit, was your forte”. His wife laughed and said, “ I told you someone would recognize you” and they both chuckled.
Both were very accommodating and nice and said goodbye as they left. He had a full salt and pepper beard, baggy green pants, sandals and a baggy shirt. Nobody recognized him.
Perhaps a difference in time and era, He was also nominated for an Oscar in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Starman, True Grit, The Fabulous Baker Boys and more.
He won Best Actor in Crazy Heart.,

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Served Maggie and Jake Gyllenhall, and Peter Sarsgaard last night. Really nice people, to servers anyway. But generally, IME, people who are nice to servers are nice people.

Oh, and I sat next to Vince Staples a couple weeks ago while waiting for a burger at Burger She Wrote. The burgers there are fucking great.
You can tell someone's character by how they treat people they don't need to be nice to.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Saw Adrien Brody at the Jack n' Jill's in Santa Monica eons ago. Also saw Johnny Galecki walking on the SM boardwalk... Made me feel tall. Also remember seeing Courtney Cox but don't really remember where. Also saw some sub-celebrities but don't remember their names... one of them was Eric Mapa (had to google "famous gay asian" to find his name) filming something at the Promenade.

Walking around LA is almost like walking around in Rio de Janeiro... lots of brazzo celebrities wandering about.

Jun 29, 2017
1. A guy who plotted Mars orbits to ground landing vehicles.
2. A guy who helped the Space Shuttle have safe airspace en route to Edwards AFB.
3. A gal who was bassist for a few NW grunge bands back in the day.
4. Some rockstars that regular people might actually know the band or the name of the rockstars.

Anyway, as someone who once was on a local kid's TV show (they played cartoons with occasional guest like someone who would bring in zoo animals) and won a "smile contest' on said TV show, can I claim myself as a celebrity?

No? Ah, thought as much.

PS

This was the show:

Akids show called Ramblin ROD?…What were your parents thinking?.LOLOL

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Living in LA it's pretty typical to see celebs in random places. I'm actually pretty good at not noticing them or being able to ID them. Lots of "Why does that person look so familiar?" But then some people you just can't miss. Local restaurant by my old place in Los Feliz was a frequent spot to see celebs. Especially during odd hours during the day when everyone else is working. Off the top of my head I've run into the following celebs there...Nas, Zack De La Rocha, Natalie Portman, Drew Berrymore, Jon Hamm, Kristen Wig, John C Reilly, Ryan Gosling, Danny Devito & Ria Perlman, John Perlman & Heather Graham.

• Wow
Reactions: tenover

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
In the early 80's we sat next to Richard Simmons on a flight home from Miami.
Years ago when I was working on Tim Burton's "Big Fish" we had a cutting room setup on the Culver Studios lot in a great little bungalow between two soundstages. One of these soundstages was used for short term productions so it had a revolving door of cast and crew members that would cycle through. Sometimes 2-3 a week. It was mostly boring commercial shoots. But at one point Richard Simmons was there shooting something, not sure if it was a sweating to the oldies video or a commercial but for 2 or 3 days Richard was there in his red dolphin shorts and his tank top powerwalking laps around our bungalow sometimes for hours on end. This is back when we were still working with film so I'd be sitting at my film bench conforming work prints and I'd look up and see Richard bouncing by at a good stride every minute or two. We called it the Richard 500. From what I recall he was quite friendly in passing. Later on the stage was rented as a rehearsal space for Janes Addiction for one of their reunions. For a solid week or so I'd have Perry Ferrel or Dave Navarro hanging outside my window talking on the phone at any given time. I've also seen Perry Ferrel in the lineup at Leo Carrillo on more than one occasion, same with Chad Lowe if he counts as a celeb.

Makule

Michael Peterson status
Aug 31, 2004
Somewhere between heaven and hell
Beau Bridges and Mackey Feary at Longi's and George Benson at the Blue Max (80's). Pat Benetar at Spats. Jason Bateman on a United flight back to LAX (80's) . Samuel L. Jackson and Trent Reznor in 1st class on the way back to LAX from OGG. Keith Hernandez in a Chicago airport bar. Jamie Foxx and his entourage at OGG. Dean Deleo from STP at LAX.

• Love
Reactions: PPK96754

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
On a side note these aren't sightings so much as professional interactions but for all the negative sh!t that gets spewed about celebs in gossip columns and beyond that not enough is said about the good. Two of the nicest, kindest and most genuine celebrity encounters I've ever had were with Michael Clarke Duncan & Wallace Shaun.

Michael-Clarke-Duncan-green-mile.jpeg

shawn_wallace_the_princess_bride_45118l.jpeg

Michael Clarke Duncan was the epitome of gentle giant. The kinda guy that made everyone in the room smile. And he engaged everyone as an equal whether you were an Executive Producer or Production Assistant. I remember the day he came in the cutting room to ask me to sign his poster and picked me up in a big bear hug as if we were old friends. You could tell that he was the kinda guy who was grateful for where he ended up every waking second. I wouldn't say I knew him well, but I was truly saddened when he died. He was truly one of the good guys and I'm fairly certain that everyone who ever interacted with him would say the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: john4surf

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
On a side note these aren't sightings so much as professional interactions but for all the negative sh!t that gets spewed about celebs in gossip columns and beyond that not enough is said about the good. Two of the nicest, kindest and most genuine celebrity encounters I've ever had were with Michael Clarke Duncan & Wallace Shaun.

View attachment 148350

View attachment 148351

Michael Clarke Duncan was the epitome of gentle giant. The kinda guy that made everyone in the room smile. And he engaged everyone as an equal whether you were an Executive Producer or Production Assistant. I remember the day he came in the cutting room to ask me to sign his poster and picked me up in a big bear hug as if we were old friends. You could tell that he was the kinda guy who was grateful for where he ended up every waking second. I wouldn't say I knew him well, but I was truly saddened when he died. He was truly one of the good guys and I'm fairly certain that everyone who ever interacted would say the same.
Inconceivable! ;)

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
Russell Crowe and Meg Ryan (when they were dating) in a mid town Italian restaurant at closing time.
We had a crew of ten and were one of the last to leave. As we were putting on our coats we noticed a
couple sitting quietly at a window table and we gave them a nod and a wave and they did same. That's
when we realized who they were.

Gus Van Sant noshing on a pastry and drinking a coffee at PDX.

Bob Costas at the psycho Safeway (aka UnSafeway) in downtown Portland. Not sure who steered him to that location but I could see he looked like he couldn't get out of there fast enough.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
while working at an odd "surf shop" one summer....saw a certain supposedley recovering lifetime pro/legend with his kids. asked how i was.....told him i sure as shat could use a beer...dude looked into my soul and eye-hugged me in the deepest understanding any human has ever had...

• Love
Reactions: Pico