*** The Official What Movies Are You Streaming Thread ***

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Coherence, on Kanopy. Kind of a sci-fi/horror (non-gory). I fucking love low-budget sci-fi. Apparently there was no script, actors were give notes daily on the story arc, but they made up the dialog as they went along. Totally worth seeing.

if you don't have Kanopy, I recommend you get it. All you need is a library card, and you get appx 13 movies a month free.

Reactions: Aruka and Woke AF

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Ferrari. Here's a movie that did not need to be made.

Criminal Record, AppleTV+. Excellent English cop show.

Tokyo Vice season two is available. It's just solid good.

True Detective. Watched seasons one and four, both good.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Asteroid City - As far as a Wes Anderson film goes it is probably one of the weaker ones. Kind of a shame given the insanely stacked cast. The acting was good and there were some funny moments but it felt like kind of a missed opportunity. Despite the subject matter (nuclear bombs, aliens, the meaning of life, death and abandonment) it never really felt like the stakes were very high. It felt like a lot of clever little ideas and scenes crammed together but without a strong enough plot or a satisfying enough ending to render it a success.

All that said it was still worth a watch because even a weak Wes Anderson film is better than most. Oh, and it is free on Prime.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Paradise on Netflix is decent. Kind of PKD-ish story, but a little more corny in its execution. German film about a future in which time a technology has been created allowing one to sell years of one's life to someone else, and time is the most valuable asset anyone has (for the poor, it's all they have). So if the average life expectancy is 80 years and you sell 20 years to someone, you basically age 20 years right after the procedure, and will only live to 60 (though your body will be effectively 80). Critique of late capitalism and the privatization of everything for sure.

Reactions: Woke AF

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
WARRIOR on Netflix. i just started it this week. It's full of action, sex and surprises. The story's about Chinese gangs in San Francisco during the late 1890's. There's gratuitus Kung Fu fighting for you martial arts fans because 'Hey, who doesn't love a good Kung Fu story?'

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
The Golden Hour, Netflix. A Dutch film, good closed captions or English subs. On the edge of your seat by the 2d or 3d episode.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Resurrection featuring Rebecca Hall and Tim Roth. Really good.

Hypnotic, with Ben Affleck, by Robert Rodriguez. So fucking stupid. LOLZ, so dumb.

Like Sheep Among Wolves, Italian crime thriller/drama, was OK.

Intolerable Cruelty, Clooney and Zeta-Jones, a Coen brothers thing. Very funny. Surprised I had not seen it til now. Being a Coen involved film, probably requires a second or third viewing to catch every little hilarious detail.

Some other Italian film about a woman who befriends her neighbor, talking about lemon trees they have on their terraces. The older neighbor ends up with Alzheimer's. It's rather sad. Appropriately, I can't recall or even find the name on-line, something about lemon.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Rented Marmalade on Friday night. Cool jailbreak flick with parallels to Shawshank Redemption but with a few big twists throughout that catch you by surprise. 5/7 would bang again :beer:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Streaming the 5th season of Fargo on Hulu. I didnt realize they started this show up again. Only on the 3rd episode but its good so far.

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I just started watching the first season. Man what star studded cast. I can't believe that I haven't watched it until now. :socrazy:
Each season is a different story/cast. Kind of like True Detective. Some seasons are better than others but I think they are all pretty solid.

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Streaming the 5th season of Fargo on Hulu. I didnt realize they started this show up again. Only on the 3rd episode but its good so far.
I just started watching the first season. Man what star studded cast. I can't believe that I haven't watched it until now. :socrazy:
I had the same pleasant realization a few months back.
I think I said it somewhere already, but Fargo is one of the best series ever made.
In its entirety, it's up there with all the greats.

Season 5 was a tough start for me.
I couldn't separate Juno Temple from her role in Ted Lasso for the first few episodes, but I got past it.
Jennifer Jason Leigh was tough to look at and her speech pattern was distracting, but I got past it.
Joe Keery, the kid from Stranger Things, was phenomenal.
John Hamm was disturbingly good in several episodes.