The Numbers Don't Match (ProPublica podcast)

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

If only there was a name for under-reporting income in some instances and over-reporting income in others.

Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, is serving prison time for understating his income to the IRS, and for overstating his income to banks. Trump's former executive vice president and special counsel, Michael Cohen, is also serving prison time, for, among other things, making false statements to a bank.

And Donald Trump? A lot of people want to see his taxes: At least two congressional committees. The Manhattan District Attorney. Trump doesn’t want ANYONE to see them. He’s gone to court three times to make sure they stay secret. The court fight is ongoing. Trump's tax documents remain walled off.

Heather Vogell of ProPublica found some anyway. She compared them to financial documents Trump filed with his lender — and discovered that certain key numbers don't match.

Heather spoke with over a dozen experts in accounting, law, and real estate. Not a single one of them could explain the discrepancies away.

Reactions: Waterlogged05

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
The Trumps are multi generational tax cheat crooks, in fact thats how they got a large part of their supposed wealth.
The podcast details some interesting examples of blatant fraud on the part of the Trumby businesses. They were able to obtain financial statements using FOIA.

A win for transparency.

lagunaboy

Michael Peterson status
Apr 24, 2017
The Trumps are multi generational tax cheat crooks, in fact thats how they got a large part of their supposed wealth.
GOP = TCC (tax cheat crooks)

(But be sure to give me my social security)

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
So dumb. New York and the Federal Government both have entire agencies devoted to going after tax issues. Beyond that individuals and corps like Trumbies have accounting firms on retainer to assure they pay as little tax as possible without getting hit with a fine. If you think getting Trumbies tax records for partisan purposes is going to go anywhere beyond partisan tabloid headlines you're a complete idiot.

PS: Can we agree to a moratorium on Twitter links from both sides?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
So dumb. New York and the Federal Government both have entire agencies devoted to going after tax issues. Beyond that individuals and corps like Trumbies have accounting firms on retainer to assure they pay as little tax as possible without getting hit with a fine. If you think getting Trumbies tax records for partisan purposes is going to go anywhere beyond partisan tabloid headlines you're a complete idiot.

First stop crying about Twitter, and face facts your cult leader is a crook.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
retarded youtube videos and facebook memes are totally cool though, guys

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca

Except if true, this is a felony in all states.

He could easily "own the media elites" by releasing his taxes that prove they're hysterical over a nothingberder.

Maybe he's just stringing them along for some big gotcha, right? 3D chess master that he is.

re Twitter, Trumby first.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
EVRIE BUDY CHEETS ON TUX

If you don’t cheat on taxes you’re basically stupid.

ifailalot OUT

I get it, I incorporated and work as a loan out to save money on taxes. It's legal and it works, probably saves me 10-15k per year. The biggest thing I learned from doing it is that anyone who cries about corporations being overtaxed is either full of sh!t or hasn't a fcking clue. Its the average working man thats getting fcked. Not the wealthy and not the corporations. But it'll all trickle down they say...