The New Channel Islands Upright Fin

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
as boars changed for me so did my fins. Used to only run 2.1's but they didn't work on different shapers boards and they were really too small for me anyway. transitioned to a neutral fin and pretty much only ride accelerators or mayhem. AM's always feel too directional for me.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
as boars changed for me so did my fins. Used to only run 2.1's but they didn't work on different shapers boards and they were really too small for me anyway. transitioned to a neutral fin and pretty much only ride accelerators or mayhem. AM's always feel too directional for me.
I got my kid a set of FCS II AM large and Mayhem large for his Driver. Mayhems were money and he hated the AMs. Comparing the two template, they are almost identical except the tip.

Reactions: jkb

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I'm not a raked CI fan. I like MF's for a raked fin and Performers for upright. I didn't get on with the Reactors, so I probably won't give these a go.

side note: the last set of MF mediums I bought for my Ghost (maybe 3 weeks ago) had the exact same issue as the large set I bought two years ago, where the top of the front tab was about a 3/32nd's proud of the plug and I had to file it down.

Reactions: ReForest and jkb

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Never been an AM fan either. I've run K2.1s or the equivalent Futures WCT template in a lot of boards. The one exception has been Losts where it seems like the only fins that really work are GMBs.

Reactions: jkb

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Bout fvcking time CI made a different fin.

Their raked fin is garbage.

That's right, I said it.

Come at me bros :trout:
I cant... I just cant agree. :shameonyou:

The AM fins are the gold standard for me. I know you're told me to try the reactors, but i just cant get them to work for me.

These fins might be a good blend of the AM fins and reactors? :unsure:

I got some NVS AM Large for the new futures board. They are cheaper than the AM2 Techflex and seem to be a better construction with the G10. Hopefully they go good.

Reactions: Mr J

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I cant... I just cant agree. :shameonyou:

The AM fins are the gold standard for me. I know you're told me to try the reactors, but i just cant get them to work for me.

These fins might be a good blend of the AM fins and reactors? :unsure:

I got some NVS AM Large for the new futures board. They are cheaper than the AM2 Techflex and seem to be a better construction with the G10. Hopefully they go good.
I'm just being purposely disagreeable because I know how many people love AM fins.

If you don't like reactors, you probably won't like these either. They're even more upright.

Stick with a rakier fin if that's what works best for you. Ever tried the Fanning fin?

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka and ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
No... I always wanted to but havent. The template looks really good.
Do you recommend the medium or large?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Medium......and I play around with smaller center fins.
I usually ride mediums in all fins templates, but have been wanting to experiment with the larges.
Do you ever ride a large template fin, or is it always medium?

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I don't see any point in trying an FCS or Future fin that doesn't have the AM template. I have wasted a lot of money over the years buying different templates. If the board doesn't work well with AMs then its a bad board. Some of the other fins go alright, but the boards always feel better with AM. Griffin fin template is fantastic and the best, it is a sort of souped up version of AM, I guess designed before the AM fin. Only available in FCS 1 style twin tab, a FCS II base would theoretically give a more natural flex.
You chronically overthink this sh!t!
It's all just playing around in the ocean.
;)

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I usually ride mediums in all fins templates, but have been wanting to experiment with the larges.
Do you ever ride a large template fin, or is it always medium?
IMO, at your size, I think the Larges would be overkill. I'm 180 and ride both med and large fins. In some boards (with narrower tails), larges feel too big for me.
and I agree with jkb, if you don't like the Reactors (which I love and are the most upright fin I own) and these CI are even more upright, then they probably aren't for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReForest and jkb

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
I'm not a raked CI fan. I like MF's for a raked fin and Performers for upright. I didn't get on with the Reactors, so I probably won't give these a go.

side note: the last set of MF mediums I bought for my Ghost (maybe 3 weeks ago) had the exact same issue as the large set I bought two years ago, where the top of the front tab was about a 3/32nd's proud of the plug and I had to file it down.
Could be that the plug was set slightly prouder than usual and oversanded to make the hole shallower? Not the fin base bigger?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The new CI Upright came from a need to balance the CI fin offering. Where the original, highly raked CI fin is more suited to classic down-the-line thrust and drawn out turns, the reality is, most surfers are riding smaller waves and beach breaks that require quicker turns, and a fin that allows for more pivot.

Where the original CI fin is suited to bigger, better open face waves, the CI Upright has a high rate of return and responsiveness, which means it’s ideal for beach breaks and little waves where need to generate speed quickly.

View attachment 104982

FCS II only at this point.