The Middleman

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Very cool build. How thick is the veneer? How are you adhering it to the blank? Vacuum bag?
Standard veneer, so I believe 1/42". Vac bagged on with epoxy. This is Greg Leohr's "Timberflex" build minus the dual density, perimeter stringered blank- 4/veneer/4 on deck, veneer 4 on bottom, over 1.7lb eps (US blanks "super fused").

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Do you vacuum bag the veneer and glass at the same time or is the veneer its own step? I've made a lot of boards but have never tried vacuum bagging. Its intrigued me though ever since reading some of Bert Burger's posts many years ago on Sways.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Do you vacuum bag the veneer and glass at the same time or is the veneer its own step? I've made a lot of boards but have never tried vacuum bagging. Its intrigued me though ever since reading some of Bert Burger's posts many years ago on Sways.
Bert's post was the thread that launched a thousand vacuum bags. Pretty historic actually. I bag the veneer in a separate step. It's nice to have RR slow epoxy for that step so you can work without panic attacks. You have to leave it in the bag for 5-6 hours though. This winter it was taking 8. My shaping room is not heated.

I bagged a lam once. It came out really good. The board had e-wings and channels and everything just sucked down perfectly. But it takes two people and requires a lot more consumables- peel ply and breather cloth.

If you ever decided to vac bag get a Gast hospital pump (designed to run 24/7) with vacuum/pressure gauges.