The Melanoma, Skin Cancer & Mole Thread...

Oct 2, 2019
Yes for legs and arms that's fine, a recurrence isn't the end of the world. My toughest days (and far worse for patients) are treating recurrent bcc after scrape and burn around the nose and ears. Mohs isn't allowed for bcc or scc on the trunk or extremities unless large or recurrent cancers. Bcc in the alar grove is a different beast than on the back. You couldn't pay me enough to let someone scrape and burn a bcc on my mothers nose

Reactions: john4surf
Oct 15, 2015
Again, when appropriate (small low risk type on low risk site), the cure rate with scrape/burn can be over 90%. As a mohs surgeon, you don't get to see the ones that don't recur. And if its me, and its a BCC around the nose or the ear, you better believe I'm getting Mohs!

Yes for legs and arms that's fine, a recurrence isn't the end of the world. My toughest days (and far worse for patients) are treating recurrent bcc after scrape and burn around the nose and ears. Mohs isn't allowed for bcc or scc on the trunk or extremities unless large or recurrent cancers. Bcc in the alar grove is a different beast than on the back. You couldn't pay me enough to let someone scrape and burn a bcc on my mothers nose

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
Just diagnosed with a second BCC on my nose. I'm 35. Tiny, tiny little thing that bled a couple times. I had actually been through a few exams where it went unnoticed (I had actually forgotten about it). It bled again and I asked to have it biopsied.

Getting Mohs. I'm pissed because it's a really annoying thing to have to do. Long recovery and it looks gross until it's healed.

See your derms and keep an eye on your skin.

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
I'm all done - I caught it early and it took 1 pass and the hole was .4x.4 cm. The hardest part of the whole thing was the novocaine into my nose for the Mohs. That and being scared of anesthesia for the plastic surgeon closing it up and not eating all day. But now you can't even see the damn thing. My nostril is a bit misshapen now but it should improve over time.

Oct 28, 2020
Toronto
Being a full time work out freak I never thought I could get a bcc but here we go. I have to admit I took some steroids in my youth as well as spent lots of time under the sun trying to maintain a good tan. What is the next step in these situations? I'm visiting my doctor next week for another evaluation, but I'm super scared to be honest. Only positive thing in this story is that I luckily started taking this preventive supplement which has proven to be extremely helpful in boosting my immune system and my overall reaction to this situation in various ways. I would advise anyone with skin issues to give it a try as it's superiority and efficacy seems incomparable to anything out there.

Last edited:

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
no reason to be. this caucasian surfer/lifeguard-type has been through
the ringer w/that crap. it heals in a day or two. also take heart that the doc
prolly knows his job well.

hgsouth

OTF status
Apr 15, 2006
Being a full time work out freak I never thought I could get a bcc but here we go. I have to admit I took some steroids in my youth as well as spent lots of time under the sun trying to maintain a good tan. What is the next step in these situations? I'm visiting my doctor next week for another evaluation, but I'm super scared to be honest. Only positive thing in this story is that I luckily started taking this preventive supplement which has proven to be extremely helpful in boosting my immune system and my overall reaction to this situation in various ways. I would advise anyone with skin issues to give it a try as it's superiority and efficacy seems incomparable to anything out there.
First time I had one I was terrified and had anxiety for a year after. Second time I was like, well this is annoying. It ain't gonna kill ya. It's just a surgery. They're so good at this stuff now. Get Mohs and get it off - do NOT have them burn it off. It WILL come back.

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
Just got back from HNL to have Moh's done on four BCC sites. Live on the Big Island. Two on the left shoulder, one on the right shoulder and one to the right from the top of my head. The shoulders went great,. All bad cells removed on the first pass. The scalp. Took four passes till it was all good. BCC dug into the hair follicles. 27 staples to close the circle wound. Wife was like wow when she took off the bandage this morning.

2Surf. Hope you feeling better and healing quickly. Best wishes.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Thanks SurfDoc

One of the things that bothers me about about MOHS is the size of the incision vs the size of the problem. In my case,

What do you think of going after small basal cell considering the chance of metastasis is extremely unlikely?
First photo taken 1 year ago. Next is after Mohs surgery, the next is the sarcoma removal to the bone with skin grafting. That’s the easy part, healing is the challenge.

5C19B1EB-17B0-450F-82E7-A3F9681E48F2.jpeg98E5E391-C583-4B16-ABBA-2087080D30D9.jpeg7DC90BD0-4F52-4C41-94DE-CF177C6C93ED.jpeg7DC90BD0-4F52-4C41-94DE-CF177C6C93ED.jpeg5F5225D6-D431-4426-AEE1-CD5AA4053678.jpeg

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
How’s the recovery coming along 2Surf? I just completed 2 weeks of home IVs and am now on two different antibiotics. Such a pain in the arse.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
How’s the recovery coming along 2Surf? I just completed 2 weeks of home IVs and am now on two different antibiotics. Such a pain in the arse.
john4surf, I just got the second operation Friday night. Two types of skin grafts, staples and a noisy wound vac pumping all day and night. Also on two antibiotic, not taking painkillers. I can visit clients if it’s local but standing is painful. I got a leg Condom off Amazon that allows me to shower.