The Melanoma, Skin Cancer & Mole Thread...

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
john4surf, I just got the second operation Friday night. Two types of skin grafts, staples and a noisy wound vac pumping all day and night. Also on two antibiotic, not taking painkillers. I can visit clients if it’s local but standing is painful. I got a leg Condom off Amazon that allows me to shower.
One week later and I still feel like I was in a train wreck.Damn, If my wife wasn’t a registered nurse I would have to go into a skilled nursing facility. She says I’m getting too skinny! Well welcome to cancerville where hope and prayers are all you have to look forward to. All bitching aside, I’m gonna beat this.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
did my first ever full body check (late 30s) and they pulled a biopsy bc one mole was deemed abnormal.

few days later biopsy checked out clear and Derm says no follow up needed for 2yrs.

no idea why I never went to the dermatologist sooner. completely effortless on my part except showing up and staying out of the ocean a few days after while the biopsy site healed.

only posting as a nudge to folks to get checked, even if only bc you haven’t in a while!

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I keep trying to get my buddy's to go get checked. They seem to be fine with the fact that they think they have no issues.

Pulling for ya 2Surf. Can't imagine what you're going through but you got this.

Reactions: Havoc

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Every surfer needs to go the term annually once they reach 40 or so. I go every year, always come home with a few liquid nitrogen shots. Nothing worse, so far...

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
As we say in the business, "Melanoma gives cancer a bad name"
So I read an extensive study that credits daily doses of low dose asprin for lowering cancer risk. ASPRIN the wonder drug.

On a second note I thought I should share an over-the-counter drug that has had a major role and healing up those hard to heal wounds from Moes surgery. It came highly recommended by my plastic surgeon and it really works. I’m pretty sure it might work for skateboarder road rash and nasty coral cut too but anyway this shampoo worked for me, healing drink, coaster size holes in my leg.IMG_9395.jpeg

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Mid February I start fluorouracil on my face.
My Dermatologist recommended mixing Fluorouracil and Vectical 50/50 to enhance the treatment. It softens up the precancers, and then they peel off with a layer or so of healthy skin. Do not let direct sunlight touch your skin while in treatment.IMG_9456.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Doof

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
One week later and I still feel like I was in a train wreck.Damn, If my wife wasn’t a registered nurse I would have to go into a skilled nursing facility. She says I’m getting too skinny! Well welcome to cancerville where hope and prayers are all you have to look forward to. All bitching aside, I’m gonna beat this.
Been a couple of years…. How’re you doing now? Any recurrence? John

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Been a couple of years…. How’re you doing now? Any recurrence? John
No reoccurance (relapse) from the marrow transplant. I have fully transitioned (blood type and dna) to my 35 year old donor. My eyesight, hearing and mental sharpness have improved just like my doctors had predicted. And as predicted I'm physically exausted all the time. Also predicted was skin cancers if I continue to expose myself to direct sunlight. It's day by day with that issue.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
2surf--> Thanks for charting the journey you've been on and thanks for fighting the good fight.

By the way, long time ago, sent a copy of this link to one of my mean older sisters who had stage 2 basal cell carcinoma on the nose. She said the info in the thread was helpful in humanizing it (aka "I'm not alone") but mainly the "don't give up" spirit was most helpful. Treatment went well, no reoccurrence in 18 months.

Reactions: john4surf