The Kook List

Topazslider

OTF status
Jan 9, 2018
What makes you and others kooks? Who are the biggest kooks?

I am over 50, so I am instantly qualified as a kook.

"surf couples" on Instagram who take pictures of themselves in the van conversions pretending they "camped" somewhere where is there is no camping with the back of their van open overlooking the beach.

any past, current, or future president of the WSL

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
actually, you don't instantly become a kook at 50....more like a long slow deteriorating arc of performance as your 50's unwind.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Being situationally unaware is the main thing that makes a person a kook. In and out of the water. Imo

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
Anyone that spends 10 minutes on the beach doing yoga or yoga like stretching prior to paddling out. This is OK if you're female though.

Second, bringing an avocado half to use as a bowl for your Bitchin' Sauce and pita bread. For fcuks sake, eat it out of the container it came in nancy-boy. And pita bread? Really? It's Dorito's, or if you're feeling frou-frou, get some chips at El Indio, if you're feeling like a man, scoop into your mouth with your hands.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Topeslide said:

"surf couples" on Instagram who take pictures of themselves in the van conversions pretending they "camped" somewhere where is there is no camping with the back of their van open overlooking the beach.

Age is not a factor. I have a bunch of friends over 50 who nobody in their right mind would ever call a kook.

Kooks are people with low surf cred. They have never earned themselves a place at the food trough. New faces in an old, established lineup. Kooks don't know the basic rules.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Topeslide said:

Showing up to a localized spot with a drone and a choreographer.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Peter Cole was asked how it is that he still charges big Sunset when everyone else his age has quit. His answer was (I'm paraphrasing)- "At a certain point you are going to become more and more of a kook. Some people can't deal with that decline. I have no problem being a kook."

I have no problem being a kook.

That doesn't mean I'm charging big Sunset.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
patrolman said:
Peter Cole was asked how it is that he still charges big Sunset when everyone else his age has quit. His answer was (I'm paraphrasing)- "At a certain point you are going to become more and more of a kook. Some people can't deal with that decline. I have no problem being a kook."

I have no problem being a kook.

That doesn't mean I'm charging big Sunset.
But his kookiness is a result of some slight degeneration.

It's not coming out of the starting gate as a kook and never progressing.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I look at my Moss buddies. Johnny F for starters. Went to High School with him. He is still the local enforcer. Work with a girl whose newby boyfriend surfs Moss. Asked her if they had met Johnny. "He is a little rough around the edges". :roflmao: :dancing:

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Personally, I think the best surfing advice ever handed out on the internets was from Scott Bass.

"Be Good, and You Are Good".

The Golden Rule.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
guys who look awkward the whole wave.

guys who ride a board that nobody will expect em to do a maneuver on,because they cant do one, while pretending its stylish to do nothing

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
000 said:
guys who look awkward the whole wave.

guys who ride a board that nobody will expect em to do a maneuver on,because they cant do one, while pretending its stylish to do nothing
Guys/chicks who blow two good set waves in a row.