The Jordan Peterson Thread

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
like this one? - "You worry about what may one day happen. Do you worry equally about what IS happening? The Neo-Marxist/postmodernist consensus in university humanities departments is spawning a generation of people who believe in a whole range of things, from identity politics, to ‘white privilege’ to anti-capitalism. These ideas all correlate strongly with past movements and modes of thinking which concluded in the totalitarianism and genocidal violence of communism."
All of that is correct.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
So I've watched a lot of JP's lectures and learned some interesting concepts from him.

My favorite one is the notion of a "Pathological Oversimplification". I'll attempt to summarize....

We go through life under the illusion that our brains are busy perceiving the world around us. Not true. Mostly it is filtering things out. Because it has to. If we were simultaneously aware of all the stuff around us - even in a fairly simple, safe environment like a classroom, it would be maddening. So the brain's biggest job is to filter most of the world out so that we're left with a constructed reality that we can manage.

Who cares about each of the insects on all the leaves. There is a TIGER. All else disappears so we can deal with that which is most important.

This is a super useful cognitive mechanism. So incredibly useful that humans are super susceptible to taking it a bit too far and *OVER*simplifying things. Hence religious fanatics, political ideologues, etc. People constantly fall prey to false dilemmas in their thinking. On and on it goes. And when your oversimplification becomes dangerous to you in how you live your life, it becomes a "Pathological Oversimplification".

Becoming aware of this concept has helped me be more effective in life. Happier too.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
So I've watched a lot of JP's lectures and learned some interesting concepts from him.

My favorite one is the notion of a "Pathological Oversimplification". I'll attempt to summarize....

We go through life under the illusion that our brains are busy perceiving the world around us. Not true. Mostly it is filtering things out. Because it has to. If we were simultaneously aware of all the stuff around us - even in a fairly simple, safe environment like a classroom, it would be maddening. So the brain's biggest job is to filter most of the world out so that we're left with a constructed reality that we can manage.

Who cares about each of the insects on all the leaves. There is a TIGER. All else disappears so we can deal with that which is most important.

This is a super useful cognitive mechanism. So incredibly useful that humans are super susceptible to taking it a bit too far and *OVER*simplifying things. Hence religious fanatics, political ideologues, etc. People constantly fall prey to false dilemmas in their thinking. On and on it goes. And when your oversimplification becomes dangerous to you in how you live your life, it becomes a "Pathological Oversimplification".

Becoming aware of this concept has helped me be more effective in life. Happier too.
that’s a good one

one of my kids has severe autism and a lot of sensory processing issues

sounds and visual stimuli can easily overwhelm him

I’ve read that for kids with his profile, reality is like full on tripping most of the time because they don’t have the same filter that most brains have

so I often think about how subjective the perception of reality is and how hard it is to identify what is real/objective

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Another cool thing I picked up (or maybe was reminded of?) in one of JP's lectures.

Homunculus Man - basically a model that illustrates how much of the brain's sensory and motor cortex are allocated to the various parts of the body.

Useless information for most I think, but interesting none the less.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Your immediate name calling is telling.
The guy makes a lot of sense and has a history that very much negates your claim.

This thread isn't a trap or a hook.
Its to open up real discussion.

Set your partisan self aside and listen.

His 12 rules for life:
  1. 1. "Stand up straight with your shoulders back"
  2. 2. "Treat yourself like you are someone you are responsible for helping"
  3. 3. "Make friends with people who want the best for you"
  4. 4. "Compare yourself with who you were yesterday, not with who someone else is today"
  5. 5. "Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them"
  6. 6. "Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world"
  7. 7. "Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)"
  8. 8. "Tell the truth — or, at least, don’t lie"
  9. 9. "Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t"
  10. 10. "Be precise in your speech"
  11. 11. "Do not bother children when they are skateboarding"
  12. 12. "Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street"
His target audience is young men who had weak fathers or no fathers in the home. I've watched the young guys at work who like Peterson. It's incredibly sad.

Re: Jung.

I recommend Jordanetics. /thread

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I can't find anything alt-right or fascist leaning in his views, although this excellent contra-Peterson review does detail the grounds for doing so.
JP practically wrote the Alt-Right playbook, which is widely adopted, from Proud Bois to Richard Spencer.

From ranting about white male victimhood, culture wars, bootstrapping, to Neo-Marxist nonsense and of course alt-right's most pressing issue, transgender people.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I don't think it's so much what JP as how the Alt-Right interprets it.

That he attacks some of the left's crazy ideas is the right's justification for getting out the Kiki torches and chanting Nazi sh!t.

The left has some crazy ideas.

For a lefty like myself, it's disheartening.

But that hasn't made me idealize the right.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I don't think it's so much what JP as how the Alt-Right interprets it.

That he attacks some of the left's crazy ideas is the right's justification for getting out the Kiki torches and chanting Nazi sh!t.

The left has some crazy ideas.

For a lefty like myself, it's disheartening.

But that hasn't made me idealize the right.
So Jesus doesn't hate gays? :poop:

There's a reason why Alt-Right accepted JP as their role model. Whether that was his intention or not is irrelevant.

The same reason why David Duke and Richard Spencer endorse Trump.

Ideologically, they're on the same end of the spectrum.

I mean, Proud Boi manifesto reads like JP's book.

Last edited:

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
communism is regressive, not progressive.

community funded infrastructure (roads, trains, airports) is not communism, it's progressive. Tax funded healthcare, libraries, and education is not communism, it's progressive. the experiments with communism have failed. Progressivism is inevitable. Its instoppable. The progression of human rights is inevitable.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
So Jesus doesn't hate gays? :poop:

There's a reason why Alt-Right accepted JP as their role model. Whether that was his intention or not is irrelevant.

The same reason why David Duke and Rishard Spencer endorse Trump.

Ideologically, they're on the same end of the spectrum.
Nice job proving his point.

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The main things that even seem alt-right to me about Jordan Peterson is that he came up on youtube, and the cohort he peels off cult members from. And honestly, of all the right wing sh!t online, this is kraft american cheese, vanilla ice cream, non-alcoholic right wing sh!t. It would be way worse if it was anything else.

He seems about as white nationalist and sexist as some other dinosaurs like Ross Douthat, George Will, David Brooks, etc.
He seems loads smarter than Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, any of the Levine/Savage etc idiots.
He seems like everyone else at the party probably hates him because he's not as smart Ben Shapiro, not as non-threatening a blowhard idiot as O'Reilly/Hannity, and not as educated/telegenic as the rest. All the female media personalities, I bet they detest him on a visceral level. Like, they went to some place that costs a shitload, and/or they were in an expensive sorority for hot girls only, and here comes some psych professor with a kermit voice from a Canadian commuter school who sells self-help to gamers. I bet Rachel Maddow actually hates him the least of every woman with an on-camera job at a cable news network.

He's basically a Canadian Neal Boortz who isn't funny.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I notice lots and lots of self-help books cribbing his message.

we should do one Auto. Slice off a piece of the action.
Mine is almost done.

I ripped off Porges and Kahneman.

I notice a lot of people are riding on their coattails, especially Kahneman's.

You know if anyone writing a GG biography?

I'd buy a copy if you wrote that book.

I swore I would never write another book but that book project (the subject matter) excites me.

I'd work on that project for free.

Last edited:

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
For that to happen, you first have to accept that bigotry is an 'idea' worthy of having in civil discourse.

I'm not sure I'm ready.

Last edited:

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Notice how the alt-right always names things free speech that and free speech this like anybody is stoping them from speaking. "Free Speech Club" "Trump Free Speech Rally".

They're constantly conflating the consequences of their anti-social behavior with their right to free speech.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink