The illegal street vendors have taken over the boardwalk and I’m a bit pissed about it.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Obviously that's not true because if it was no one would buy that crap and they would leave. But, your neighbors are buying so they remain to serve a public need. I can see being pissed of you just built a new $5M restaurant on the beach and paying $50K/year in taxes only to have mom and pop show up with cart of tamales that taste better and are 1/20th the cost of your vegan sandwiches and put you out of business, but that's how capitalism works. When I hear of trusties and retirees complaining about $7k/year in taxes and use law to keep public beaches private, I call b.s. It's like during covid when richy rich grandma complained about too many kids at the beach and she is worried she will get infected so the entire beach gets closed down just so she can walk her dog in safety.
You haven't got a clue.

Sorry.

• Love
Reactions: PJ

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I'm still a little confused by some of the replies to this topic.

Is the boardwalk a business district that is open for all to do commerce on or is it a public walk for all to share and enjoy the common area without proprietors clogging it up with unlicensed businesses that shouldn't be there in the first place?

This is mystifying to me.

There is a place for businesses in business zoned places.

Common area is for the people not businesses to set up shop?

Am I missing something?

• Love
Reactions: PJ and grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Obviously that's not true because if it was no one would buy that crap and they would leave. But, your neighbors are buying so they remain to serve a public need..
It looks like mostly tourists buying that stuff and who were stoked on it. Do we really need any more places to buy knockoff pro team gear and cheap pipes?

I can see being pissed of you just built a new $5M restaurant on the beach and paying $50K/year in taxes only to have mom and pop show up with cart of tamales that taste better and are 1/20th the cost of your vegan sandwiches and put you out of business, but that's how capitalism works.
I agree, however they should also be subject to the same permits and inspections as brick n mortar. They should also be paying rent if they are making money on public land. At a certain point, the number of vendors kills the vibe because it leads to congestion and blocks the views. Beyond that, you are ignoring that they are blocking public right of ways and leaving their crap out overnight.

When I hear of trusties and retirees complaining about $7k/year in taxes and use law to keep public beaches private, I call b.s. It's like during covid when richy rich grandma complained about too many kids at the beach and she is worried she will get infected so the entire beach gets closed down just so she can walk her dog in safety.
LOL, who are you to judge whether we pay enough in taxes or not? $7k/year is middle of the road in terms of the US, and we pay the highest income taxes in the country on top of that.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
missed the part about trusties and retirees paying 7k. I pay 7K cause of when I was born, saved up my cash and bought a house. FFS, man.
What kind of house did you find in San Diego for only $700K on the beach? Anything I see on the market is like $2-3M for a condo size, which would put you in the $20-30Kyear tax bracket if you bought today. Or are you riding your bike in all the way from the desert and then claiming its your local beach and tourists and kart vendors are ruining it? Maybe I just suck at math.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego

Is the boardwalk a business district that is open for all to do commerce on or is it a public walk for all to share and enjoy the common area without proprietors clogging it up with unlicensed businesses that shouldn't be there in the first place?

Am I missing something?
Before Vendors.

C9B08D79-6BA4-41A1-B2B9-8049C04F5730.jpeg
0CD7DB0C-B42F-45E5-A12C-9B0ACB31373B.jpeg

jettylocal

Michael Peterson status
May 23, 2002
jettygirlsurfmag.com
SBD and I have both been surfing regularly at this spot for many years and while the parking lot, grassy area and boardwalk have always had a little bit of an 'edge' to them (hey, it's Mission Beach, not Del Mar or La Jolla), the current situation has absolutely changed the atmosphere for the worst.

BUT, if you're looking to score ANY type of merchandise with your favorite NFL team's logo on it, there's a guy set up right by the showers who's got you covered (and I'm sure he's an official licensee of the league). :socrazy:
My wife and I went for a stroll in La Jolla last week and there were street vendors posted up everywhere from the Cove to the art museum.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
If the street vendors are able to come back/stay, why not just build a nice house on the boardwalk. Doesn't seem much different, maybe a make shift hotel created with shipping containers.

• Haha
Reactions: PJ

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
My wife and I went for a stroll in La Jolla last week and there were street vendors posted up everywhere from the Cove to the art museum.
Yup, it's gross.

Am I missing something?
What's amusing is the people here defending this crap and celebrating cottage food vendors are the first ones to cry out for government regulation.

If it were restaurants operating outside the boundaries of the Dept of Health they would be up in arms especially if they or their children became sick from eating queso fresco made in a bathtub.

If the street vendors are able to come back/stay, why not just build a nice house on the boardwalk. Doesn't seem much different, maybe a make shift hotel created with shipping containers.
That's already basically going on all over the City of San Diego - houses and mobile homes planted in public parks, on streets, on sidewalks, and on Cal Trans property.

Outside of SD there's Venice, of course:

Last edited:

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I’m such a dick, even if you know me. :nana:

I rode my bike down the boardwalk this weekend and the first sidewalk vendor who pissed me off, because their tent blocked the free flow of traffic on the PB boardwalk, was a used record seller.

….this farker made the boardwalk turn into three feet total Of movement, total cluster fuck.

Record seller or not, I had to voice my opinion because Most Amercians have their hands up thier ass thesse days.

Not sure if you have heard the news in record/vinyl land, but it turns out that newer records are basically 12” vinyl CD’s. That warm analog goodness is all BS…it‘s all recorded from CD’s/digital copies A d sold to you at a premium.

Enter Mofi Records.

So I told off the farker with his BS vinyl/Mofi records and to shove them up his Croslye record player ass...

why the fark do I enjoy schadenfreude so much these days…oh Im getting olders and do t give a fark.

Get Off My Boardwalk

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
It's such an easy way to make big money, selling records on the sidewalk. Hard to resist such a wonderful lifestyle - living in a car and selling stuff outside all day.
the times article is not worth reading. it’s saying white men are still bad and “trickle-down ecomony” is still a barnburner of a word to use when not wanting to discuss real economic theories.

“What American workers need are multiple simultaneous experiments in rebuilding worker power, from tweaking existing labor laws to sectoral bargaining to the creation of whole new trade associations and broad-based not-for-profit organizations. For example, imagine an AARP for all working Americans, relentlessly dedicated to both raising wages and reducing the cost of thriving—a mass membership organization so large and so powerful that our political leaders won’t dare to look the other way. Only then, by matching power with power, can we clear a path to enacting the laws and policies necessary to ensure that that trickle-down economics never threatens our health, safety, and welfare again.”

• Love
Reactions: PPK96754

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I’m such a dick, even if you know me. :nana:

I rode my bike down the boardwalk this weekend and the first sidewalk vendor who pissed me off, because their tent blocked the free flow of traffic on the PB boardwalk, was a used record seller.

….this farker made the boardwalk turn into three feet total Of movement, total cluster fook.

Record seller or not, I had to voice my opinion because Most Amercians have their hands up thier ass thesse days.

Not sure if you have heard the news in record/vinyl land, but it turns out that newer records are basically 12” vinyl CD’s. That warm analog goodness is all BS…it‘s all recorded from CD’s/digital copies A d sold to you at a premium.

Enter Mofi Records.

So I told off the farker with his BS vinyl/Mofi records and to shove them up his Croslye record player ass...

why the fark do I enjoy schadenfreude so much these days…oh Im getting olders and do t give a fark.

Get Off My Boardwalk

Maybe you're just angry or resentful and afraid to address the root cause of your anger and resentment, so you externalize your feeling of lack of control onto sidewalk vendors because you're pretty confident that they won't hurt you nor force you to face your feelings.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Maybe you're just angry or resentful and afraid to address the root cause of your anger and resentment, so you externalize your feeling of lack of control onto sidewalk vendors because you're pretty confident that they won't hurt you nor force you to face your feelings.
Are you ok with unlicensed vendors constricting public right of ways in high traffic areas?

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I'm seeing more of this on State St in SB. People setting up displays and selling shoes and clothing/jewelry with a retail storefront behind them paying $10-20/month rent. It's not nuts like the OP but I'm sure the retail tenants aren't happy about it.