The illegal street vendors have taken over the boardwalk and I’m a bit pissed about it.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Update. They were cleared out on Sunday morning, then slowly appeared but not in full numbers. In the few times I've been back since, there have been fewer tents/vendors in general. Not sure what went down.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Update. They were cleared out on Sunday morning, then slowly appeared but not in full numbers. In the few times I've been back since, there have been fewer tents/vendors in general. Not sure what went down.
I’ve been biking the boardwalk every other day or so.

It’s so nice to see that the boardwalk right of way isn’t blocked anymore. It was insane with the complete disregard to the public by some of these vendors.

Whatever or whoever is doing the enforcing. Hell Ya.

It’s refeshing to see folks able to picnic in the Mission Beach grass area and see the ocean, instead the back of Park and Swap.

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
I pulled in at about 5:40 this morning and it was nice to see all the EZ-Ups cleared out. There were also 7 City Issued Park Ranger pickup trucks parked on the grass at that time, but no Rangers anywhere in site.

90 or so minutes later, when I got out of the water, all the Rangers were huddled up on the grass, having some kind of a meeting. There were also about 5-6 vendors in the process of setting up their tents and more were pulling into the parking lot as I left.

Curious as to how this is going to play out :shrug:

Reactions: SlicedFeet

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I pulled in at about 5:40 this morning and it was nice to see all the EZ-Ups cleared out. There were also 7 City Issued Park Ranger pickup trucks parked on the grass at that time, but no Rangers anywhere in site.

90 or so minutes later, when I got out of the water, all the Rangers were huddled up on the grass, having some kind of a meeting. There were also about 5-6 vendors in the process of setting up their tents and more were pulling into the parking lot as I left.

Wait was that you on the LB just south of me?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

trucks parked on grass in park = ok
ez up tents = no go

got it

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
just to let the elephant out of the closet.
Poor people trying to make a living in a capitalistic society = bad
Rich people using the law to keep their neighborhoods gentrified = good
There are rules and regulations in every business built from historic lessons.

Go to the Swap Meet that happens every Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday if you want that sh!t. It‘s only a mile away.

Some of these “Street Vendors” aren’t poor, you should see the cars they roll up in to unload their sh!t to sell. I need to start posting pics of that.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Nobody who lives there wants an open air swap meet selling garbage that's too crappy for walmart in front of the beach. Nor does anyone have a right to block a right-of-way with their stuff.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
This is Public Land/Parks/Beaches we are talking about…for all of us to enjoy…not neighborhoods and that’s the true beauty of it.

Why were the original National Parks set up? Preservation!!!!!

Teddy Roosevelt out.

here’s a Teddy quote.

"I recognize the right and duty of this generation to develop and use the natural resources of our land; but I do not recognize the right to waste them, or to rob, by wasteful use, the generations that come after us

Last edited:

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Nobody who lives there wants an open air swap meet selling garbage that's too crappy for walmart in front of the beach. Nor does anyone have a right to block a right-of-way with their stuff.
Obviously that's not true because if it was no one would buy that crap and they would leave. But, your neighbors are buying so they remain to serve a public need. I can see being pissed of you just built a new $5M restaurant on the beach and paying $50K/year in taxes only to have mom and pop show up with cart of tamales that taste better and are 1/20th the cost of your vegan sandwiches and put you out of business, but that's how capitalism works. When I hear of trusties and retirees complaining about $7k/year in taxes and use law to keep public beaches private, I call b.s. It's like during covid when richy rich grandma complained about too many kids at the beach and she is worried she will get infected so the entire beach gets closed down just so she can walk her dog in safety.