The illegal street vendors have taken over the boardwalk and I’m a bit pissed about it.

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
I mean I'm not trying to tell anyone what to care about or not care about, but I'm not understanding getting mad about, say, those bacon dog vendors -- those guys don't have permits but what's the harm here? It just seems so abstract -- just knowing that someone else isn't 'following the rules' doesn't harm me. Maybe if they were competing for business with me and I had jumped through whatever hoops, but me and those guys or probably anyone they know aren't really in direct competition with each other, you know?

Reactions: keenfish

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I mean I'm not trying to tell anyone what to care about or not care about, but I'm not understanding getting mad about, say, those bacon dog vendors -- those guys don't have permits but what's the harm here? It just seems so abstract -- just knowing that someone else isn't 'following the rules' doesn't harm me. Maybe if they were competing for business with me and I had jumped through whatever hoops, but me and those guys or anyone in that very informal economy aren't really in direct competition with each other, you know?
Non-resident take here. . . . I think it's more that it used to be a boardwalk where you could stroll and have a nice view of the ocean. Now it's a bunch of kitchy garbage that even TJ Maxx doesn't want clogging up the view shed along the whole boardwalk. Plus the fact that they don't even break their tents down when they aren't there.

I agree that a hot dog vendor is much less of an issue. Relatively small rig that doesn't take up much space and comes/goes with the owner.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
That part..
I mean I'm not trying to tell anyone what to care about or not care about, but I'm not understanding getting mad about, say, those bacon dog vendors -- those guys don't have permits but what's the harm here? It just seems so abstract -- just knowing that someone else isn't 'following the rules' doesn't harm me. Maybe if they were competing for business with me and I had jumped through whatever hoops, but me and those guys or probably anyone they know aren't really in direct competition with each other, you know?
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

lol

Yeah, it all works, and it shouldn't be a crime...

...and you'll be the same the one bitching for the government do something when there's an outbreak of foodborne illness.

Or are you for abolishing business licensing and Dept of Health restaurant surveillance as well?

Reactions: Havoc

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
Non-resident take here. . . . I think it's more that it used to be a boardwalk where you could stroll and have a nice view of the ocean. Now it's a bunch of kitchy garbage that even TJ Maxx doesn't want clogging up the view shed along the whole boardwalk. Plus the fact that they don't even break their tents down when they aren't there.

I agree that a hot dog vendor is much less of an issue. Relatively small rig that doesn't take up much space and comes/goes with the owner.
Actually thinking about it I do kinda get that (and silentbutdeadly). When I first saw those pics of the tents I was like "what's the big deal, looks like a farmer's market". but farmer's markets have some degree of organization, like they're there on a schedule and with some group organizing, that you could talk to. I can see if I walked along a boardwalk all the time and there was suddenly a farmer's market there, it would feel like a different category of place, like it changed zoning or whatever. I'm still thinking some people are being mad because the rules aren't being followed in the abstract but I get why people would want a better process for deciding whether there's a farmer's market-type thing there.

I'm just not the type to either get involved on the legit local-civic organization, or to care too much about the informal type, but it makes sense.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I get it how some people aren’t bothered by this going on.

For me though, I like to ride my bike on the boardwalk, been doing it for 25 years. Not being able to see the waves or beach in some parts because of the tents and merch pisses me off. This is a Natural Resource that is being used and exploited by a few at the detriment of the masses. I’ll never agree with you on that matter. Please try to explain your point again.

Now when the hot dog vendors block the boardwalk path, I see how some people enjoy that too. Its a nice big shiny object, something interesting, and it makes you salivate. Why should there be laws against a large man wearing a greasy apron who is teasing your olfactory senses with his utensils and meat.

It is not lost on me that you despise my views just as much I despise yours. Another thing that is not lost is that people have been pissed about this stuff for years before and have passed laws against this because they know apathetic citizens lead to the downfall of communities.

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
i'll take trannies, tourists, alphabet people, inlanders... for $200 alex
The fact that the girl in the video considered that crappy painting "art", that is one stepped removed from the cheesy airbrush paintings with the howling wolves and mountain sunset that you see on street corners all over the world, tells you all you need to know about the ilk that likes this stuff :toilet:

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
farmers markets are typically once a week. this is 24/7. The overall atmosphere has changed for the worse.
SBD and I have both been surfing regularly at this spot for many years and while the parking lot, grassy area and boardwalk have always had a little bit of an 'edge' to them (hey, it's Mission Beach, not Del Mar or La Jolla), the current situation has absolutely changed the atmosphere for the worst.

BUT, if you're looking to score ANY type of merchandise with your favorite NFL team's logo on it, there's a guy set up right by the showers who's got you covered (and I'm sure he's an official licensee of the league). :socrazy:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
BUT, if you're looking to score ANY type of merchandise with your favorite NFL team's logo on it, there's a guy set up right by the showers who's got you covered (and I'm sure he's an official licensee of the league). :socrazy:
dafuq . . . As if we don't already have enough places to by that crap already :foreheadslap:

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Someone should start an illegal boiled beef and potatoes stand. Oh wait, it would go out of business because the food sucks. I hate capitalism.