The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
To further confuse things, what's the difference with the 7 Seas comp? Vissla's on sale at Evo.com till the 29th.

I've been pretty happy with a very old Vissla 4/3 I bought in CA like 6 years ago. It was a cold Xmas and I was out visiting and needed a 4/3 and it has held up pretty well though it's heavy compared to newer suits. But warm.

I also bought a Vissla 4/3 7 Seas Hooded Chest Zip Wetsuit last fall. It's a lot lighter but feels more like a 3/2. Like there's no way it's a 4/3. Good suit and I've always kinda wanted a hooded 3/2 but I think all wetstuit company's now lie and add a mil or two to how thick they say the neoprene is which is why everyone is wearing 4/3's in SoCal.

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
So I was perusing sites looking for a Fourth of July sale for a new 4/3 for next winter, and Rip Curl has the Flashbomb slashed from $470 to $188. That's insane. So I am seeking the advice of my forum brothers as to the quality of Rip Curl suits. I've only had summer suits from them that didn't have any issues that I can recall, so I don't know if they work when it's cold. Please advise.

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
So I was perusing sites looking for a Fourth of July sale for a new 4/3 for next winter, and Rip Curl has the Flashbomb slashed from $470 to $188. That's insane. So I am seeking the advice of my forum brothers as to the quality of Rip Curl suits. I've only had summer suits from them that didn't have any issues that I can recall, so I don't know if they work when it's cold. Please advise.

I got an xl flashbomb, I'm definitely an xls, but damn good wetsuit. Pull the trigger now if they have your size at that price

Reactions: SurfMission

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
Thank you. Raced up to Surf Ride to try on a Rip Curl to double check sizing. Dick move by me but whatever.

Stoked. We should have a thread about sales so we can have each others backs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sauce

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
***to all wetsuit brands listening... make a ton of XLS this year so I can get a good deal next year!!!:cursing:
What if you buy the wrong size, then contact customer service next week and say, "Oh, it didn't fit. Can you send the XLS?"

Might work........

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I hope either Feral or Isrius has a 6mil available this fall after being out of stock for a year.

LoganV

OTF status
Sep 29, 2010
Any reviews on Sol Lite booties. Or recommendations for a thin bootie? I like to feel my board and, also sadly I suffer from SPS (slow pop up syndrome, where popping up on mushy waves you kook out when front booty catches wax on take off) Tried E Bombs, pretty good but slack in the arch. Loved the Billy 2Ms, fit perfect and warm enough but discontinued, probably due to the fact that they were basically disposable, I barely wear booties, probably wore those only a dozen times before I had two holes in the soles of both of them, buyer beware, the 3 mills can't be much better!
I just bought some Solite Custom 2.0 3mm Pro Boots. Pros have the strap. Same size as my O'Neill Boots. Not the thinnest sole and not for narrow feet. The sole structure feels good though. Won't be using them till autumn, so can't give a full review, but i have a good feeling about them. The anatomic toe cap is lower profile than on my O'Neill heats.

Reactions: chilly1

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I just bought some Solite Custom 2.0 3mm Pro Boots. Pros have the strap. Same size as my O'Neill Boots. Not the thinnest sole and not for narrow feet. The sole structure feels good though. Won't be using them till autumn, so can't give a full review, but i have a good feeling about them. The anatomic toe cap is lower profile than on my O'Neill heats.
I love these booties in SB. First pair I did the hot water molding thing. Actually didn't like how they felt. Got a slightly smaller pair and kept them as-is. LOVE them now. Did have to size down, but I can live with that.