The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Anyone try a Patagucci suit recently? Have they been updated or do they still eat a bag of dicks? I had one in 2020 that was a pile of poopy caca.
I have the 2mm full short arm front zip bought 2x father days ago and is holding up great nicely built and the price at time was unbeatable. I was going to get the hyperfreak version but the gucci was $40+ cheaper. This suit gets the most wear out of all my full suits and does the job with no rash and being only 2mm plenty flexible good seams.

Reactions: sushipop

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Water is between 54-55 degrees on the buoys with this wind. May have to think about my non-booty wearing position when the wind lets up in my South LA zone. Brrr! I haven’t seen/felt it that cold locally since 1995.

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
without pouring through this dictionary of wetsuit experience - easiest chest zip full suit manufacturer to get in and out of, with the largest cross chest zipper? Find backzip flush too much in the cold water I surf, and repaired shoulders don't appreciate the wiggle in boogie. I fit an Xcel LT fine other than getting my shoulders in, an O'Neil Hyperfreak makes me feel like I'm getting swallowed by a friggin python it's so tight to squeeze into.

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
is your hyperfreak 3 times too small? I find that suit to be so flexible I woud never consider it less than easy to take off
no, same LT as I always wear. Actually peeled off easy it was getting it on that was hard.
Just tried on a couple of different makes of back zips, such a great idea, having pull over seals that jams the zippers every friggin time their pulled up.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Have a zipperless 4/3 vissla high seas (but not the version 2). It is super comfortable and flexy. Only negative is how heavy it gets when wet. My wet 4/3 vissla is probably the same weight as my wet 6/4 feral.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

LoganV

OTF status
Sep 29, 2010
Anyone got experience with the fit differences between the O'Neill Hyperfreak and the O'Neill Hyperfreak Fire on the shoulders? I've read the Fire is more restrictive on the shoulders. I'm a lanky build with wide shoulders and shoulder mobility is usually a problematic point on the wetsuit fit for me. Volcom Modulator fits almost like a glove in MT but i need a 5/4 without a hood. And is warmth and durability really that much worse on the normal Hyperfreak?

Reactions: Aruka and JDJ

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Anyone got experience with the fit differences between the O'Neill Hyperfreak and the O'Neill Hyperfreak Fire on the shoulders? I've read the Fire is more restrictive on the shoulders. I'm a lanky build with wide shoulders and shoulder mobility is usually a problematic point on the wetsuit fit for me. Volcom Modulator fits almost like a glove in MT but i need a 5/4 without a hood. And is warmth and durability really that much worse on the normal Hyperfreak?
I have the same problem. Tall and slim but big in the shoulders. My experience is that Volcom LT fits slimmer than ONeill LT. Similar in the shoulders but Oneill have more room in the torso.

I can't compare Hyperfreak to Hyperfreak Fire, sorry.

Volcom suits fit about as good as any OTR suit I've tried, it's a shame they don't make a more premium hooded suit.

Reactions: LoganV