The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I have an Isurus 1.5 mil jacket that I got pre-covid at a del mar event. Great fellas.
Used it Halloween week - still works great. I take care of my suits.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
I’ve only used it once but the srface 5/4/3 feels really good. It was $285 on sale, Yamamoto rubber - feels much better than other suits in that price range. Super comfortable.

I would’ve gotten another feral but it seems like they’re out of winter suits this winter

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I'm officially down the rabbit hole about my cold Isurus. Made an interesting discovery last night: my suit was made in Thailand. Friends' toasty suits were made in China. Same suit (Ti Evade 4/3). @oeste858 @silentbutdeadly do you know where yours were made??

Isurus 2.jpgIsurus 1.jpg

@casa_mugrienta the question I was asking about Yamamoto was whether or not there are different types of #39 rubber or different types of #40. Not if Yamamoto makes different products. I looked at their site... closest thing I could find was different skin types. Unclear if that can be applied to 39 or 40. Any idea on this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Got frustrated with all the shopping and bought a 6 mil meant for kiteboarding, supposedly uses Yamamoto rubber and they are even more exposed to wind so should be warm.

Reactions: slipped_disc

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I was kinda surprised to see mine was made in china
@slipped_disc Huh. Just looked. they must've changed it this year at some point.

Thailand:
3mil (fall 2021)
2 mil (spring 2022)
2 mil s/s (spring 2022)

China:
3 mil hooded (fall 2022, bought same date as SBD). Hadn't even taken it out of box yet so can't compare warmth / construction quality

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Just checked and my Shield 3.3 hooded is China MFD as well. I hope mine is the toasty side of cool. Luckily the water hasn’t warranted its debut.

encladd

OTF status
Oct 8, 2019

Tried on one of these today. First time trying on a Japanese suit. Felt great, but that price point feels high (~$700 OTR) for 1) no smooth skin, 2) virtually no tape inside except the top of the knees??

Anyone try one? How durable can a suit be w/ no tape? Is it all about the stitching then? It's the only local company I know of in NCSD that can measure you up and get you a custom that I know of.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

Tried on one of these today. First time trying on a Japanese suit. Felt great, but that price point feels high (~$700 OTR) for 1) no smooth skin, 2) virtually no tape inside except the top of the knees??

Anyone try one? How durable can a suit be w/ no tape? Is it all about the stitching then? It's the only local company I know of in NCSD that can measure you up and get you a custom that I know of.
Cyber is in San Clemente and cheaper.

Reactions: encladd

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

Seam tape is a bandaid for poor stitching in the first place. A quality blindstich doesn't need seam tape.

As far as the no smoothskin part.........I definitely find value in smoothskin and only get suits with them.

Check Cyber and Reunion. Those companies also have stock sizes to choose from for a little less money.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Seam tape is a bandaid for poor stitching in the first place. A quality blindstich doesn't need seam tape.
Lies! Taped inside/rubbery seal outside is the way and the light.

As far as the no smoothskin part.........I definitely find value in smoothskin and only get suits with them.
I find value in smoothskin, but I like some of the non-smoothskin comp style suits also for water more in the 60s. I've never tried a 4/3 comp; I assume the 3mm arms would paddle shittier than a 3/2 with smoothskin.

Caveat many of our better days between Christmas and St. Patrick's Day there is a cold Northerly wind and it's cloudy/rainy.

encladd

OTF status
Oct 8, 2019
heard moon suits are warm as fook.

Anyone know why the premium suits seem to go for the detached neck instead of the attached slant zipper? More flexible? In my experience, the detached fl;ushes more
I've always had the attached slant zipper type lately. It was the first detached neck I've tried. Seemed to free up the shoulders quite a bit. I was impressed.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I think I've discovered the secret of how they make new wetsuits so flexible, they now just label a 3/2 as a 4/3 and bingo. Not as warm but really flexible.

Bought a Vissla 7 Seass hooded 4/3 to replace an ageing Drylock 4/3 and there is no way they are same thickness. Wore it for under 2 hours in high 40's air and low 50's water and get cold. This should be right in the wheelhouse of a good 4/3. But I've always wanted a hooded 3 mil so now I have my wish. Still need a good 4/3 though, I guess that will fall to my 5/4 Psychotech.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay

Don’t worry about the non-taped interior if it’s made in Japan. The craftsmanship they put into their suits don’t require it. I’ve had plenty Japanese suits from Axxe, Quality and Reunion. They‘re all only blind stitched and glued, yet their seams are superior to the big names. I just received 2 Axxe/Vissla U-Zip suits and nothing’s changed…Axxe really is the best in the game and still no tape or liquid glued covered seams. Notice the smooth rubber cuffs in bottom pic.
D5CE4826-77B7-4797-AD83-477990A8566B.jpeg
47AA0412-E227-42F7-B42D-529DBF6C50D2.jpeg

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Don’t worry about the non-taped interior if it’s made in Japan. The craftsmanship they put into their suits don’t require it. I’ve had plenty Japanese suits from Axxe, Quality and Reunion. They‘re all only blind stitched and glued, yet their seams are superior to the big names. I just received 2 Axxe/Vissla U-Zip suits and nothing’s changed…Axxe really is the best in the game and still no tape or liquid glued covered seams. Notice the smooth rubber cuffs in bottom pic.
View attachment 143577
View attachment 143576
Why’s axxe slumming with vissla? Are they just Vissla stoke sizes rather than custom?

Reactions: jkb