The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Bought a 4/3 Dawn Patrol. Scored it on sale for $219. Warmer than my Vissla. I dig it.
I have a bz 4/3 dawn patrol. I did last winter in it, first time ever not going to thicker rubber although it was an unusually warm winter here. I'd definitely get another.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Was ready to order a new winter suit and Feral is out of stock until January:cursing: Not really feeling it for this winter, maybe take a break until spring.

• Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Are wetsuits getting worse?
They have been "worse" for a long time with most brands... starting with hitting the point of diminishing returns when making them stretchier (often by making them thinner) and use of water-based glues.

The consumer has been duped, I think a lot of people at this point don't realize just how bad their suit is.

The trend in this thread seem to be buying new suits all the time and/or seeking out bargain labels and every suit seems like a roll of the dice.

That's a hassle I wouldn't commit to. I surf a lot more than most people and I've bought one 3/2 in the past 3 years and I'm still warm once the time comes for it (62 deg or less).

The wetsuit is more important than the board, a lot of people don't see that.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I think as they make them stretchier, they get less warm. When I lived in southern california 20 years ago, no one had a 4/3. Now I feel like they are common during the winter, probably because a 3/2 now isn't as warm.
IMHO the Drylock 3/2 is warmer than anything from 20 years ago, and I'd be surprised if the fancy E7 wasn't the same.

I do agree about the stretchier though. I remember the Xcels with no smoothskin/vulcanized rubber panels being a minority, and like every O'neill the smoothskin felt Fluffy-proof, Rip Curl and Billabong had a shitload with smoothskin...

Now it seems like the only option for a chest zip with smoothskin is the Drylock and the Infiniti. Last time I pepsi challenged those two, the Infiniti felt a touch less warm but better flex.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
IMHO the Drylock 3/2 is warmer than anything from 20 years ago, and I'd be surprised if the fancy E7 wasn't the same.

I do agree about the stretchier though. I remember the Xcels with no smoothskin/vulcanized rubber panels being a minority, and like every O'neill the smoothskin felt Fluffy-proof, Rip Curl and Billabong had a shitload with smoothskin...

Now it seems like the only option for a chest zip with smoothskin is the Drylock and the Infiniti. Last time I pepsi challenged those two, the Infiniti felt a touch less warm but better flex.
Checkout the billabongs, warmer than xcels IMHO

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

If there is a breeze smooth skin is always going to be warmer. Just ask kite guys. Or any serious cold water suit.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Checkout the billabongs, warmer than xcels IMHO
Fit/sizing. When I did the ghetto measurement for sizing a bicycle, my height vs leg length put me in like the 90-something percentile of stumpy-legged/long torso people.

If there is a breeze smooth skin is always going to be warmer. Just ask kite guys. Or any serious cold water suit.
Yeah and I live for the Winter days at Mayport and there's almost always some solid Northerly blowing. I saw 3/2+ and 4/3+ technoblubber 3 at Sunrise and was kind of curious, but I've had 2 all-3mm wetsuits. The fancy Hurley 303 was nice but not as amazing as the 202. The budget back zip Xcel was a total brick piece of sh!t. And I'm pretty sure you told me you pepsi challenged a 4/3 no smoothie vs 3/2 smooth and the 3/2 won?

My 2mm shortsleeve full is ancient.

My 2mm full and 3/2 comps are 4 years old. The 3/2 was less fancy but actually the better of the two suits - felt slightly flexier which seemed weird.

My 3/2 Drylock and 3/2 Infiniti are 3 years old.

I am thinking new Drylock and I want to try the zipperless Rip Curl shortsleeve fullsuit. I have a springsuit like that and it's buttery gummytastic.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I still like xcel's tops. They are the only one that I know of with a waist cinch and trunk tie loop. They can be found pretty cheap if you scour the web.
Not cheap but my hyperfreak has waist cinch and trunk tie on.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
"I surf a lot more than most people and ..." :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: Pure comedy right there

Casa - the only thing you do the most is post on this forum. :shameonyou:

Happy Holidays :)

The wetsuit is more important than the board, a lot of people don't see that. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
year 2.5 on a 3.5mm hooded feral in OBSF. All seams have stayed solid and the only damage is a small hole by where the hood is attached to the entry (not a big deal). Feral suits have been the only suits for me where the seams have held up for more than a season. Got a 5/4/3 from them last year that I rotate in with it now.

Used all kinds of other suits when I lived up north (Xcel, Ripcurl, Bong, Isurus, Finnisterre, O'neill) and Feral has been my favourite in terms of durability (O'neill wins for flex)

Also liking this Buell I got during the summer, super flexible and good value for price

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Not cheap but my hyperfreak has waist cinch and trunk tie on.
I have one of these and like it. FWIW, I wear MT's in pretty much all brands (except Rip Curl which are always too short in the arms) and this jacket was way too small in MT. It's still a little tight in a large.