The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
bought an Oneill epic 3/2 for the month that we need a 3/2 around here and the thing absolutely disintegrated after 3 sessions, never seen anything like it. All the upper seams pulled apart or are pulling apart. Sending it back and skipping Oneill for a while, which sucks because they fit me the best....picked up an xcel comp 3/2 off the rack of my local shop same day, works fine.

groggylbc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 15, 2006
Whats the word on the O'neill Blue Print? Gimmie the good, bad and everything in between . xoxoxo

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
bought an Oneill epic 3/2 for the month that we need a 3/2 around here and the thing absolutely disintegrated after 3 sessions, never seen anything like it. All the upper seams pulled apart or are pulling apart. Sending it back and skipping Oneill for a while, which sucks because they fit me the best....picked up an xcel comp 3/2 off the rack of my local shop same day, works fine.
Mine did that too. I would've just kept wearing it but then the teeth broke on the zipper. Got the warranty repair back where they reglued the seams and fixed the zipper. Used it for the first time post repair today and... The zipper teeth broke at the exact same spot. O'Neill fit me best too but it's also the only brand I've had to send back for warranty repairs (this is the 3rd one, one high end, one medium and this entry level) and considering that it's the most expensive of the mainstream brands... no more O'Neill wetsuits for me.

• Wow
Reactions: MathDebater

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Saw a du at the local today with an O’Neill that was cray looking. Never seen anything like it before. Had this weird, across the back and shoulders zipper situation and was super baggie up top. Then I realized I had never seen it because I’ve never been to Japan. So I super sleuthed it and found O’Neill‘s Japanese website and lo and behold, they have totally different wetsuits than what we get here in the states. I’m sure a lot of people know that but I did not, because well, I just didn’t, ok? Here’s the tom foolery:
1666480682346.png
and the link:

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Cyber(Japan) has a similar zipper, but chest. Janga wetsuits too
I asked Cyber about it- I was told "it's an awful lot of zipper to keep clean/working"

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Saw a du at the local today with an O’Neill that was cray looking. Never seen anything like it before. Had this weird, across the back and shoulders zipper situation and was super baggie up top. Then I realized I had never seen it because I’ve never been to Japan. So I super sleuthed it and found O’Neill‘s Japanese website and lo and behold, they have totally different wetsuits than what we get here in the states. I’m sure a lot of people know that but I did not, because well, I just didn’t, ok? Here’s the tom foolery:
View attachment 140404
and the link:
Wtf. That’s a horrible picture

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
i can't remember what brand it was but i saw some other japanese wetsuits that looked like that. hella baggy up top. it was a chest zip though i think.

i have no idea what it is about.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
They have those too:
1666503819186.png
1666503992871.png
and how about this crazy sh!t?
1666503748019.png
And they have a few other types of closure/zipper set ups on the site. Who knew we needed so many different ways to get in and out of a wetsuit?
Also, anyone know what “light dry” might mean? The descriptions on the site are Japanese, but titles are in both Japanese and English.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
And they have a few other types of closure/zipper set ups on the site. Who knew we needed so many different ways to get in and out of a wetsuit?
Also, anyone know what “light dry” might mean? The descriptions on the site are Japanese, but titles are in both Japanese and English.
Are they some sort of dry suit? Do they surf in those?