The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Has anyone seen or tried the Hyperfreak Fire? Just noticed it's a thing.

Also, is anyone liking / loving any high-performance / warm enough / flexible suits in the ~$300 range that isn't a Hyperfreak?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Has anyone seen or tried the Hyperfreak Fire? Just noticed it's a thing.

Also, is anyone liking / loving any high-performance / warm enough / flexible suits in the ~$300 range that isn't a Hyperfreak?
'Bong furnace is pretty flexible mine is 4/3 so kinda hard to compare to my 3mm hyperfreak comp:waving:

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Hyperfreak Fire. Interesting. Hadn't seen that either. More warmth with liner and perhaps extended durability with the external liquid seams? Kinda waiting for new Psycotechs to drop, but a hooded 5 Fire could fit the bill. Not a thing, yet. 5 mill Hyperfreak has been hard to beat for the 48-58 range. My current I got last Nov is holding up well, although kinda been babying it. One prior started to leak at about 60 or so sessions. My buddy is a year and a half into a Psycotech and says no leakage, so considering going back to that model for extended durability. Hyperfreaks are so damn flexy thou. Think Im good for this winter anyways.

Last edited:

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Does anyone know who is making team wetsuits (e.g. Vans, Monster, Vans)? I know at one point feral was doing Volcom. No idea about Vans and others.

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
Anyone tried these French booties? Supposed to be like barefoot. I just ordered a pair to test.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I don't really trust booties without velcro cinch straps across the foot not to end up swollen and full of water.

Anyone tried these French booties? Supposed to be like barefoot. I just ordered a pair to test.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Those look trippy. Wax the soles? Interesting concept.

After 30 some years of 5 and 7 mil split toe Hotlines, switched to 7 mil split toe Buells. Reason Hotlines went up to 100 bones. Buells interested me because they made a 7 mill split toe. Yes I like split toes and price was right at around 60 bones with 15% off bro deal. They are toasty and have fuzzy liner, which I have only had once when I tried Patagonias which were terrible and I retuned. Anyways had them for little under a year and holding up pretty well.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Warmest mass-produced 3/2?

My infiniti and drylock were requiring some hole repair after season #3. I just accessorize the 3/2 for mid-winter and December trips to CenCal.

Thinking about just replacing the Xcels. But I got a zipperless Rip Curl springsuit I like and was wondering if their 3/2 with the smoothskin, E7 fireseeker or whatever is warmer. But looked like it did not have vulcanized rubber on the back.

Sep 26, 2022
This is a cool thread. I skimmed most of it (just joined the Forum) and thought I'd ask:

Anybody try on a Feral in sizes Medium and/or Medium Tall? How would they compare to O'neill? I want to order one and get the size right. I've already tried on a Large, and it was too loose.

I wear a Medium in O'neill. The only issue is the arms/legs are almost always a little short (except for my last Psycho Tech for some reason; it was a bit longer). I'm 172 lbs and a hair over 5'11".

If anybody has info on how Isurus fits in the sizes above, that would be great too. Thanks

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Anyone know of a good 3/2 or even all 2 mil with smoothskin?

Need something for the cold, windy offshore days where the water is still relatively warm. Wind goes through my long sleeve Hyperfreak spring and my 2mil and 3/2 Xcel comp suits which are all great when it's not windy.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I’ve got a 3/2 psycho tech with smoothie on the chest that is insanely warm (to me). It’s two years old and going strong. I wear it when the water is between 68-62 depending on how windy or cold it is out.

Reactions: Aruka