The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
have prob posted this before; but will restate.

Hyperflex is the best bang for the buck IMO.
im in the water 3-5 days a week, low to upper 50s yr round and really dig their hooded 4/4. on my 3rd and will be getting another one for the coming winter They last just as long or longer than my drylocks ever did and like the hyperflex suits better.
I wanted to try a ss full based on your rec, but none available in my size. Will have to revisit in the future.

Reactions: Swallow Tail

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Good first impression from my new Need Essentials 4/3 "Liquid Taped Thermal Chest Zip" suit. LT fit is perfect for me at 6'3, 193. The neck comes up pretty high and the wrists and ankles are really tight, all of which suggests that it's going to avoid flushing. Unlike other 4/3s I've tried, this one has 4mm rubber with lining from the chest down through the legs. That's also a design feature that will make it warm, I hope. Let's see how she performs this winter. I'm sensing this is a great value at $265.
i just got my second need essentials suit a couple months ago. the top of the line 3/2 thermal yad yada. for socal i think they are more than fine. the 4/3 thermal did me good this past winter and i'll definately get a second season out of it. so far this 3/2 is toasty and feels pretty good for the dawn patrols. not sure id be singi ng the same tune in places where it gets actually cold but for socal - not sure ill ever buy another suit.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Anyone got an opinion on this?

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019

378CED70-BA96-458D-9E6B-3D204890017B.jpeg

my opinion based on the chart, is there sizing is whacked.

wheres a 6-1 180 guy supposed to go with this sh!t

Reactions: menobrah

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

China:

Import records:

ZeeHawk

OTF status
Apr 13, 2018
Big Asian Island
I've been surfing in Xcel Drylocks for probably 15+ years. Was getting tired of the increasingly poor craftsmanship on them The new suit is definitely lighter and super comfy to paddle in but I have to say it's not nearly as warm as a Drylock. I got cold after about an hour and a half and even just walking down the beach to the break, I could tell it's just not as warm of a suit. The flexibility comes with a price.

Kinda disappointed for $500 (no deals on O'neils) , but still a winner for flex and ease of entry/exit. Just not the warmth I was hoping for. Will probably be my warmish winter day suit. Probably great with water temps in the high 40s and some sun out just not the freezing offshore nor'easter suit I was hoping for. Next time maybe a 6/5 from someone as the 5/4 O'Neill feels like a 4/3 Xcel. Glad I still have a relatively new Drylock in the closet. The seams leak a bit in the balls but it's still overall warmer in the upper body.
Thanks for this post! Pretty much my winter conditions and you've answered my questions. I got an Infinity 5/4 3 years ago and did well the first season and a half but then limped through the last season with lots of leaks. Even still, it hasn't left me out in the cold. I was thinking Psychotech but warmth is important for those low teens morning sessions. Might have to grab a new Xcel.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Thanks for this post! Pretty much my winter conditions and you've answered my questions. I got an Infinity 5/4 3 years ago and did well the first season and a half but then limped through the last season with lots of leaks. Even still, it hasn't left me out in the cold. I was thinking Psychotech but warmth is important for those low teens morning sessions. Might have to grab a new Xcel.
@ZeeHawk aren't you in Japan?

You have access to so many amazing, well built wetsuits.

Reactions: ZeeHawk

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
for real, if you live in Japan and you're wearing american brand suits you're doing it wrong. I wish we had easier access to all the dank rubber they've got over there.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ZeeHawk

OTF status
Apr 13, 2018
Big Asian Island
@ZeeHawk aren't you in Japan?
You have access to so many amazing, well built wetsuits.
I am, and there are lots of great suits. I'm a real fan of Dove suits. Materials and craftsmanship are second to none, The Mad Tailor is insane. https://dovewet.com/mad_tailor/

I can get a custom suit and be pretty stoked BUT $1,500 stoked. There's some stock sizes but I'm not quite stock size out here. I've tried to save up but give at the $500 mark since I can get a decent suit and 3 years or so out of it. Not sure what I'd do if I snagged my $1500 suit on a stick on the way to surf.

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
I am, and there are lots of great suits. I'm a real fan of Dove suits. Materials and craftsmanship are second to none, The Mad Tailor is insane. https://dovewet.com/mad_tailor/

I can get a custom suit and be pretty stoked BUT $1,500 stoked. There's some stock sizes but I'm not quite stock size out here. I've tried to save up but give at the $500 mark since I can get a decent suit and 3 years or so out of it. Not sure what I'd do if I snagged my $1500 suit on a stick on the way to surf.
Always wanted a Dove suit, or a Bewet, but the ordering process is too confusing for me. I have an Airtight from Japan that is an amazing suit, but it's on its last legs

Reactions: ZeeHawk and jkb