The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Alright, I'm going to get measured for a Cyber but I'm also going to try to repair my eco-suck glue 3/2 using McNett's Black Witch adhesive and neotape.

Update: I bought a 3/2 Cyber in XL and they're going to shorten the legs below the knee slightly. The half-stitch method they use is much more durable than the full-stitch + tape method used by big manufacturers in SE Asia. The glue is oil-based instead of water-soluble eco crap used by the other manufacturers. The construction is done in Japan. I need 1 mm less rubber than I would by buying from a mainstream surf brand. Price is 10-20% more. Buy now to avoid the rush. :jamon::jamon::jamon:

Last edited:

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Good first impression from my new Need Essentials 4/3 "Liquid Taped Thermal Chest Zip" suit. LT fit is perfect for me at 6'3, 193. The neck comes up pretty high and the wrists and ankles are really tight, all of which suggests that it's going to avoid flushing. Unlike other 4/3s I've tried, this one has 4mm rubber with lining from the chest down through the legs. That's also a design feature that will make it warm, I hope. Let's see how she performs this winter. I'm sensing this is a great value at $265.

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
Yep bummer.
I must say most crew I know are more than happy with their Needs but it’s my second attempt with them and I won’t be going down that route again.
On a positive note my Isurus Evade 3/2 with booties has been adequate this winter so far and I still have the option of adding a hood.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Yep bummer.
I must say most crew I know are more than happy with their Needs but it’s my second attempt with them and I won’t be going down that route again.
On a positive note my Isurus Evade 3/2 with booties has been adequate this winter so far and I still have the option of adding a hood.
That's a shame about the need. Mine has died after three seasons. Where'd you get the isurus in OZ?

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
The Isurus looks good, but that's quite expensive. It would need to last longer than 2.5 needs suits to break even...

Reactions: Bman76

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
The Isurus looks good, but that's quite expensive. It would need to last longer than 2.5 needs suits to break even...
Not if the Need is a leaking piece of sh!t from the get go that has you freezing your ass off every surf. A leaking wetsuit which doesn’t serve it’s purpose is absolutely useless to me no matter what the price.

I did get my Isurus cheaper than rrp. but even at full retail compared to most brands top tier suits is it expensive?

Isurus Evade 3/2: $699 (aud)

Rip Curl Flash Bomb 3/2: $649

Billabong Furnace Natural 3/2: $749

I know crew with Isurus going on their fourth or fifth seasons. Most top tier Rip, Bong, O’Neill I’ve had are lucky to get a full second season and that’s with rinsing after every session.

Last edited:

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
have prob posted this before; but will restate.

Hyperflex is the best bang for the buck IMO.
im in the water 3-5 days a week, low to upper 50s yr round and really dig their hooded 4/4. on my 3rd and will be getting another one for the coming winter They last just as long or longer than my drylocks ever did and like the hyperflex suits better.

Reactions: tacos