The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
damn several trustworthy people convinced me to yolo a matuse. Even working on growing a mustache. But JKB is giving me buyers remorse. I guess I'll find out this winter.
Maybe they've gotten better.

Or maybe I just didn't jive with them.

The nylon they glue to the outside of the neoprene is the best in the biz, IMO. I wish everyone used that nylon, but nylon is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of wetsuit construction.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
sounds perfect for my cold offshore winds at dawn. So weird all the broskies say they’re warm as can be
I think you’ll be fine. The ones I’ve had have been warm. 3mil scipio was hot at times during sunny winter days. Only issues I had were odd design quirks and sizing- they tend to run tight as others noted.

I’m also feeling some yolo remorse on the hooded one I got. I should’ve just waited for the Isurus hooded to come back in stock but afraid I got swept up in the yoloness of that sale. LOL

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I had the 4/3 when they first came out. Felt more like a 3/2 and the warmth was on par with one too. It had a silly strip of smooth skin as sort of a sash across the upper chest. When the wind blew my lower back would freeze.

It worked fine in winter CA in the middle of the day with light winds and sunshine but in fall NY or early morning CA it was a complete fail.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I haven’t worn one in a while. I had several back in the day since a friend was one of the main “Matuse Family” members and I was getting flowed suits for several years.

One of the founders, John Campbell, was probably one of the lesser liked people in the industry and a card carrying d-bag the several times I interacted with him. Thankfully he left Matuse in 2018.

I never thought they were particularly warm, but they held up pretty well.

Aug 29, 2019
Ha. Yeah if you need a 5/4, you need a 5/4.

4/3 isn't cutting it when the water dips below 48.
Ha, yeah of course you are correct! Too good to be true. And up here in the PNW/Canaderr, my go to year round is a 6/5…but was surprised and happy to be toasty warm in an old isurus isoldier 5/4 today! Still buttery after all these years.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
dunno about their wetsuits, but I got gifted a Matuse wetsuit top to replace my 6 year old Patagucci, and the standard L was way too small, so I had to bump up a size. maybe fancy neoprene just stretches out less. I'm an XLS in my Isurus S/S full but a LS in just about every other brand. or maybe I just need to cut back on the burritos and beer..:foreheadslap:
that's odd. I was set on going for an isurus but it felt too tight and didn't fit quite right. When I got my matuse and tried it on the Large fit great and seemed consistent with my other brands in that size.

I tell you what, if the hyperfreak was warmer it would be hard to beat.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
that's odd. I was set on going for an isurus but it felt too tight and didn't fit quite right. When I got my matuse and tried it on the Large fit great and seemed consistent with my other brands in that size.

Curious to find out if matuse is warmer then hyperfreak equal mm on windy days:shrug:My 3mm hyperfreak is good down to 55 but if you have to wait for sets and winds howling you feel the cold.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
The Hyperfreak stretchy stuff is extremely not wind resistant. Breeze blows right through it.

There's some of that stuff on the 5/4 Techno whatever I bought last year and it really limits the conditions I'd consider using that in.

Flexible or warm. Pick one.

Reactions: Yewstreet

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
The Hyperfreak stretchy stuff is extremely not wind resistant. Breeze blows right through it.

There's some of that stuff on the 5/4 Techno whatever I bought last year and it really limits the conditions I'd consider using that in.

Flexible or warm. Pick one.
Yes and living South of SLO county no need for warmth so flex is more important as long as suit is durable and well built. My hyperfreak has lasted and still going after 3+ winters but here my go to suit gets most use is 2mm short sleeve full.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

yeah idk. I've got a weirdly long torso and broad shoulders/chest but short arms and legs. could barely zip down the Matuse large wetsuit top. FWIW I really like the way my XLS Isurus fits, would probably get a 3mm zipperless fullsuit at some point.

agree, Hyperfreak is the most comfy suit i've worn too but it's thin like paper

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I bought a hyperfreak long sleeve spring suit yesterday. Hope I'll have a reason to try it soon.

O'Neill doesn't make customs and has factories in Mexico and Asia, FYI. :eek:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I bought a hyperfreak long sleeve spring suit yesterday. Hope I'll have a reason to try it soon.

O'Neill doesn't make customs and has factories in Mexico and Asia, FYI. :eek:
Yes but quality control is good and like I said well built suits not like fireturd trying to sweat shop high tech custom surf craft hack for premium price you can buy a hand made board glassed strong ie: stretch, xtr, varial, coil...

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I love my Hyperfreak long sleeve spring. Took it on a trip to Mexico where it was uncharacteristically cold back in May and have been using it most of the summer here in NY. Pretty much perfect long sleeve spring. Just bought a top from them that is basically the same thing without the legs and half mil thinner for peak summer here.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Ha, yeah of course you are correct! Too good to be true. And up here in the PNW/Canaderr, my go to year round is a 6/5…but was surprised and happy to be toasty warm in an old isurus isoldier 5/4 today! Still buttery after all these years.
Used a 6/5 one year on S. Van Isle. Never again haha it was like paddling in a straight jacket.

Mainly used Xcel's and the odd O'neill, but like everyone in this thread the O'neill got cold after a season.

Also bought a 4/3 Isurus back in 2014... big mistake! Way too cold for that region

Reactions: rowjimmytour

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
yeah idk. I've got a weirdly long torso and broad shoulders/chest but short arms and legs. could barely zip down the Matuse large wetsuit top. FWIW I really like the way my XLS Isurus fits, would probably get a 3mm zipperless fullsuit at some point.

agree, Hyperfreak is the most comfy suit i've worn too but it's thin like paper
LOL I’m a large in wetsuit tops. You my friend, are not the same size. XLS sounds about right.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I love my Hyperfreak long sleeve spring. Took it on a trip to Mexico where it was uncharacteristically cold back in May and have been using it most of the summer here in NY. Pretty much perfect long sleeve spring. Just bought a top from them that is basically the same thing without the legs and half mil thinner for peak summer here.
Love my 1.5mm hyperfreak long sleeve vest perfect for Summer and some times beyond here:cheers:

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Yes but quality control is good and like I said well built suits not like fireturd trying to sweat shop high tech custom surf craft hack for premium price you can buy a hand made board glassed strong ie: stretch, xtr, varial, coil...
You’re a top-notch hypocrite, Jimmyboy. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.:p

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
You’re a top-notch hypocrite, Jimmyboy. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.:p
How ole kook:foreheadslap:wetsuits regardless of brand made from same factory plus I surf in suit I do not ride suit. Point is for the $$$ you pay $900 for taiwan sweat shop board non custom cheaply made for the money compared to going custom same price way higher quality and craftsman build:foreheadslap:If I went custom suit which I do not find worth here in 805 since water here in 805 rarely goes below 56 I would go with Japanse wet suit company really like craftsmanship and believe they build good products:shaka: