The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
SBD's periodic wetsuit review:

My XL Feral has held up extremely well and I like it a lot. What's odd is that it seems to have shrunk with my size and it feels short on me. I'll more than likely order a hooded 3mm for next winter but I'm a bit concerned about the fit. I think I'l going to yolo a Matuse for sure though.

Since getting back in my 3/2's (yes I know I have a wetsuit quiver shut up):

3/2 Hyperfreak: Super comfy but quality is garbage. Leaks like a screen door and is starting to flush already. In the thinner suit, the techno blabber doesn't block wind much.

3/2 Buell: Neo feels good on the skin but it doesn't fit great and it flushes. I'll just say you get what you pay for and won't buy again.
no shame in a wetsuit quiver... have two 4/3s and two 3/2s on rotation so I don't have to put on a still-wet wetsuit for dawn patrols

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
You dawn patrol guys are hard core.

I usually forget to hang up my rinsed suits until the evening, but my isurus generally dry overnight since they don't take on much water to begin with. When I go to pull them on the next day (typically late morning to midday), the cuffs and ankles may still be a little wet but been pretty impressed with the dry time.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
interesting article about the $750 JJ Florence wetsuit.

wetsuit design relevant

Sorry, but a lot of that was just plain "duh".

Anyone who has ever surfed in a short sleeve full can tell you that, not to mention the high school diploma reps from the suit companies.

What a waste of time and money. Easy research when you already know the conclusion.

If anything they should be focusing on how to create more durable yet flexible, water (wind) resistant neoprene and figuring out what is an effective liner.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I thought the article was interesting.

Wetsuits used to be cut like that......with the thickness from the torso being carried down through the legs. At some point, they started making the legs the same thickness as the arms (presumably to cut costs) but marketed as more flexible and lighter.

All my Japanese suits have had the thickness from the torso carried to the legs except for my most recent one, and it's not as warm as previous iterations. I'm disappointed they changed the cut. On my next one, I'll have them use 4mm all the way through the legs.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
A considerable savings
To be completely truthful I order 2 more ;)
this ones cut doesn't pull my nuts up into my guts
the neck "aperture" / closure is on another level to compared to the last customs

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
A considerable savings
To be completely truthful I order 2 more ;)
this ones cut doesn't pull my nuts up into my guts
the neck "aperture" / closure is on another level to compared to the last customs
Will be good to hear a report.

Nothing compares to a good custom fit.

OTR wetsuits become a Wavestorms.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Some deals on suits for those in need.