The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
My Vissla High Seas 4/3's lower leg was delaminating over the last couple of weeks and it's only a matter of a couple more sessions and my heel will go through the weakened area. I really liked the suit and probably could have been more careful putting it on many times. It was going on its second winter.

I'm eyeing a Feral 4/3 and also looking at Oneill's Mutant Legend 4/3. I'm in Southern California (LA's South Bay). I've never worn a hood, but do get cold if I'm not catching lot of waves. I bought my second pair of booties in 25+ years recently, but even though the new Vans ones fit really well, I pretty much decided today that booties aren't for me.

The O'Neill is around $30 more, so money is not a driver in the decision between the two. I've never worn a Feral, but MT's in most brands fit me (except Rip Curl, where the arms are always way too short). It seems like both suits are pretty well regarded around here. Any additional direction either way would be appreciated.

On a semi-side note, I tried on a Buell/Subdivision 4mm today and that thing was one of the most difficult wetsuits I’ve ever had to get on and off. I was bummed since I've heard good things and the price is right, but the way they trimmed the top of the inside panels with nylon (where the neck flap seats down on), really restricts how much you can open the thing up width-wise to get your upper body into/out of. I'm 6' 165 and pretty flexible and it was struggle-bus city. My Isurus (Shield 2mm short arm) and Vissla no-zips are so much easier to get on and off in comparison.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I have both. Different suits and I'll try to sum up:

Mutant: extremely flexible. plenty warm (obviously) but I've also surfed central coast and have been fine as well. Suit has held up great other than seem at ankle that I had repaired locally. very little flushing at all. visor is annoying on the hood but I would probably be annoyed with any visor. kind of a pain at times to engage the zipper each time but that's the tradeoff with being able to switch up to a hoodless suit.

Feral: Equally as warm if not a touch warmer. dries quicker. has held up well. Not as flexible but the panels around the pits make paddling pretty much just fine. nearly zero flush except during really bad falls.

Fit: Oneil large fits me great. Both of my suits are XL since I got them when I was heavier and I've found that the feral fits kind of weird. The XL is supposed to be made for someone up to 6'3 and it seems short on me at 6'0".5.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy either and probably will (appropriately sized) next season for what it's worth

Good thing about the mutant is its versatility (hood or no hood). Good thing about feral is the weight and dry time.

my 2 cents

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
these were my go to the last few years. couldnt get em in my size this year tho. imo adequate for socal for winters for sure, but youll need to replace every year.
The Feral won’t hold up for more than one season? I haven’t worn an O’Neill since I was a bottom tier “marketing pro” way back in the day (1996-2003), but I do recall my suits were constantly in for repairs.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
I've had 3 Mutants since I moved to the NE. First one was my first hooded suit ever. Last two being the Legend versions. Have worn them down into mid upper 40s h20.. Pretty durable/ versatile suit. Zipper isn't that bad. I've tried a few other 4/3s and these have been the best bang for the buck for me.

Jul 4, 2006
New England
The Feral won’t hold up for more than one season? I haven’t worn an O’Neill since I was a bottom tier “marketing pro” way back in the day (1996-2003), but I do recall my suits were constantly in for repairs.
I would expect the Feral to hold up to more than one season. I've got nearly a full winter on my suit (6/4) and its showing very little wear. No change in leaks or water seepage, stitching and glued seams all appear to still be holding up really well. There's some wear to the liquid cuff seals on both the internal ankles and wrists, but I don't think that stuff makes a huge impact either way. I'm expecting at least another full winter (30-50+) surfs out the suit, but if it holds up then maybe it'll go even longer. The only area that looks to be like a weak point right now is the potential for the chest cinch to fail at some point, since I feel like I do need to crank that down pretty tight to prevent flushing and the diameter of that cord is pretty small. All that said, no real complaints save for some water infiltration through the zipper that was present on day 1.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
3 sessions on the 4/3 Oneill Hyperfreak and its leaking in the left arm pit! Fucking pissed. Now i gotta go through the hassle of shipping it back or taking it in, and having it fixed or replaced. Geesh!
you can bring the suit in to their repair facility, it's in National City if I remember correctly. The lady inside told me they send it to Mex for the repairs. Have taken suits that were way over warranty there and was charged nothing. Last suit I took in they botched the first repair slightly and gave me a new suit.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
3 sessions on the 4/3 Oneill Hyperfreak and its leaking in the left arm pit! Fucking pissed. Now i gotta go through the hassle of shipping it back or taking it in, and having it fixed or replaced. Geesh!
I'm gonna send mine in before the warranty is up. Hope they just give me a new one.
If so I may just offload it. Super comfy suit but not warm at all.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I would expect the Feral to hold up to more than one season. I've got nearly a full winter on my suit (6/4) and its showing very little wear. No change in leaks or water seepage, stitching and glued seams all appear to still be holding up really well. There's some wear to the liquid cuff seals on both the internal ankles and wrists, but I don't think that stuff makes a huge impact either way. I'm expecting at least another full winter (30-50+) surfs out the suit, but if it holds up then maybe it'll go even longer. The only area that looks to be like a weak point right now is the potential for the chest cinch to fail at some point, since I feel like I do need to crank that down pretty tight to prevent flushing and the diameter of that cord is pretty small. All that said, no real complaints save for some water infiltration through the zipper that was present on day 1.
My feral chest zip failed. They paid to repair and that failed. So they sent me a new suit. This was after a year at least. They really stepped up cust service wise. Killer.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
My Vissla High Seas 4/3 was out of warranty by a month and a half. A local wetsuit repair place (JMJ Wetsuits) quoted me $60 over the phone for a lower leg panel replacement, which would take 2-3 weeks.

Vissla answered my email where I provided photos and their cost to replace the panel is $30 and 7-10 business days to get the suit back.

I forgot I had a perfectly good Vissla North Seas 4/3 from a few years ago which will get me through the Vissla repair process.

The Feral 4/3 arrives tomorrow and I’ll see how the fit is. My biggest concern is that I was never toasty in any of my Matuse’s and my Isurus Shield 2mm short arm is no improvement warmth-wise compared to the Vissla I had that cost almost half as much. The Isurus is noticeably more premium feeling (except the POS cinch thingy), but for a warmer water suit I don’t feel it was worth the extra dough.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Have a Feral 5/4/3 en route. Hope it fits.
i will check out the Solites, thanks. Have you ever owned a Yamamoto suit like a 7till8 or a Feral? Curious to hear your comments if you have and if you have not, why not? I am thinking of ordering a 7till8. Feral did not have correct sizing for me.
Have a Feral 5/4/3 thats supposed to be delivered today. If it fits will be taking it for a spin next couple days.

still really digging the Solite booties.