The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

Dec 28, 2019
My Isurus has been received by them on 12/3 and still not credit. Might have to email them if I don’t get soon. Don’t like that they did not even bother to send an automated email that they have received the suit. But understand everyone is short staffed and overworked so I will chill.
I sent them an email and they posted my credit.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Am I the only kook who always puts a bag over my foot? Ripped one wetsuit struggling to get my foot through and pretty much always use something to slide thru now.
Always with my thicker suits especially. Otherwise it's a chore to get my feet through. Plastic bags are hard to come by in NY so always bring some back up when I visit my folks. Keep a stash in the truck.

Reactions: MathDebater

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
If your tall 6’3”
if you weigh 165-170
Stop your suit search and purchase an O’Neil MT; the fit and flex is unsurpassed.
trust me, I have tried on MT’s & LT’s in most of the major brands.
Isurus (LTS), Feral, Billabong, Excel, Buell, Volcolm, Ripcurl, Quicksilver.
Closest 2nd choice fit was the Volcolm LT but the arm length came up short and a bit baggy.
I settled on the O’Neil Psycho One 4/3 Slant Zip for this winter over the Hyperfreak.
My 3/2 Hyperfreak fell apart and got cold, and I did not like the fit of their 4/3+.
Psycho One is the winner.
the whole process was a royal pain and did cost me a few bucks in shiiping fees.
overall, well worth the time and effort.
Now need waves!
Shoot I'm 6'3x180ish and still wear MT. Perfect!

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I just got a Hooded 4/3 Hyperfreak by O'Neill from the wife as an early christmas present. The suit feels sick! Nice and stretchy... but a little thin in the hood and throughout. Anyone have one of these? Just wondering how warm it actually will be.

1638994156782.png

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I just got a Hooded 4/3 Hyperfreak by O'Neill from the wife as an early christmas present. The suit feels sick! Nice and stretchy... but a little thin in the hood and throughout. Anyone have one of these? Just wondering how warm it actually will be.

View attachment 120413
My 3mm comp hyperfreak is plenty warm for 805 so I think you should be fine in those frigid SD temps and plus ya can still get wifey to score gloves and booties for stocking:shaka:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

View attachment 120413
from my experience the Hyperfreaks are always a little less warm than their less flexible counterparts, but that's the tradeoff you get. the hooded 4/3 should work plenty fine in Oceanside though

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali

View attachment 120413
I just got a 3/2 Plus and it's really warm (for the 805). It's surprising how warm it is for how thin and flexible it feels.

I went with a size on the smaller end, M instead of L, and it fits like a glove.

Reactions: ReForest

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I just got a 3/2 Plus and it's really warm (for the 805). It's surprising how warm it is for how thin and flexible it feels.

I went with a size on the smaller end, M instead of L, and it fits like a glove.
Hyperfreak comp you notice only when its windy and long lulls between sets but no wind "light" plenty warm and worth flexibility no liner.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Sick! Cant wait to slide into it with while wearing my fancy changing poncho. lol.

Another thing, the bill on the hood feels hard like plastic or something. Im used to them flexible and made out of neoprene.

Dec 28, 2019
really no need for the hood. I tried one on and did not like the hood fit at all so ditched it. Guess on the am when really cold it would be kind of nice to pull it over the noggin for a bit.

Reactions: ReForest

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Just snagged quite possibly the last 5.5/4 Hyperfreak Size L in PNW. Its a good suit and plenty warm for low to mid 50s. Lightest and flexiest I've ever had. Also have a hoodless 4.5, which is also doable down to the mid 50s when paired with hooded rashie vest as long as your surfing and not sitting. Seams last about 80-100 sessions, at least that was my experience. My old one started leaking in usual arm pit area. Still a good backup for a 2nd sesh dry suit and warmer days. Almost pulled the trigger on a Buell and I probably would of, but my size sold out over BF even though there were zero deals on wetties. Buell definitely felt heavier and prene not as soft and stretchy, but the price was right. Sure price will go up on those. Wanted to check out and try on mid range DaKine Mission but never got around to it. Starting to see them around here. I'm set for another 2 years now.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019
Just snagged quite possibly the last 5.5/4 Hyperfreak Size L in PNW. Its a good suit and plenty warm for low to mid 50s. Lightest and flexiest I've ever had. Also have a hoodless 4.5, which is also doable down to the mid 50s when paired with hooded rashie vest as long as your surfing and not sitting. Seams last about 80-100 sessions, at least that was my experience. My old one started leaking in usual arm pit area. Still a good backup for a 2nd sesh dry suit and warmer days. Almost pulled the trigger on a Buell and I probably would of, but my size sold out over BF even though there were zero deals on wetties. Buell definitely felt heavier and prene not as soft and stretchy, but the price was right. Sure price will go up on those. Wanted to check out and try on mid range DaKine Mission but never got around to it. Starting to see them around here. I'm set for another 2 years now.
No comparison between the Buell RB series and the Hyperfreak. Hyperfreak, or better yet Psycho One, hands down better suit(s) then Buell.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
LoO-Loo on that as I quote,
"... you notice only when its windy and long lulls between sets "
I know what you mean, doesn't it always go down like that and I will even paddle in without that last ride sometimes. I hate that but fridgid dorko last rides are worse that no last rides. YMMV.

Also ++ on the 4/3 psycho 1 being the softest, most comfortable yet warm enough suit I ever had. I put a hooded vest under it and could get two hours in <45° water many days... Until it gets too windy and Lully that is.

Reactions: MathDebater

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Broke the hooded 5/4 Hyperfreak in yesterday. Low 40s air, low 50s water. Not horribly cold and would have been tolerable in a standard 4/3 with an ice cream headache here and there to remind you that you're alive. Overall, suit was easy to put on, pretty flexible considering the thickness, with no seam/blister points, at least so far. Sesh involved a lot of paddling and did get overheated so had to pull the hood down from time to time. Feel the suit could hang into mid-40s at least.

Only knock was that the visor is a nuisance, especially duckdiving. Caveat that I don't like wearing hats with any kind of brim for same reason - they obstruct your vision. Hell, I don't know how anyone tolerates baseball/trucker hats that remove a solid percentage of your upward peripheral vision but that's a different thread. Had to make a point to flip it back but not horrible. And I did once get that cold flush down the hood into the deep regions; woke my balls up, that's for sure. Am sure that'll happen now and then.

Overall, though, best suit I've ever owned. Solid Yolo purchase. And it dries fast too. Was dry this morning despite non-optimal conditions. Going to come in real handy this spring.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
A year in, my hyperfreak has given all that it has to give. No rips, but I can feel the shoulders have thinned from stretching, and the wind bites through. It isn't as warm as it was new. A one year suit.