The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

Jun 4, 2019
Hi praise here for Feral customer service. I ordered two sizes of their suits, sent back the one that didn't fit. I had a pre-paid return shipping label within minutes after reaching out to them. They just refunded my credit card for that suit, tracking number shows that the suit just showed up on their door today.
Had the same experience with them with the 543 I ended up getting from them. Will add that they were great about answering initial sizing questions as well. Suit itself is great so far, so really happy with them overall.

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
It’s the 4m throughout that I love. No wind chills at all. Not heavy like a 5/4. Doesnt have a nightmare zipper scenario like some of the older Buellwetsuits.

I fear like it may start to fall apart becasue so far it’s perfect. But no issues yet.
Does the 4 mil feel more restrictive than a standard 4/3? I get cold easy and was thinking of trying out one of those but was worried it would feel more like a 5/4 than a 4/3 and I'm worried a 3m would be too cold.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Does the 4 mil feel more restrictive than a standard 4/3? I get cold easy and was thinking of trying out one of those but was worried it would feel more like a 5/4 than a 4/3 and I'm worried a 3m would be too cold.
That was exactly my concern and its not restrictive at all. This is why I am also afraid it will fall apart.

Maybe the arms feel a little bit heavier but I have yet to notice.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
I have used the Oneill or RipCurl branded cleaners before, but now use this Pau Pilau stuff that they sell at Birds. Supposedly eco-friendly and all-natural, and the directions say not to rinse it out. Seems to work fine, without the Tide detergent smell of the others. Maybe use it 1-2x month, or when it starts to smell funky.
https://www.paupilau.com
I used the McNett for years, but switched to the Pau Pilau too about a year ago. I use it about once a month. It has a unique smell and kills any foul pissy smells and seems to keep the neoprene buttery. Couple things I like about it over the McNett, no second rinse after wash with product, and can purchased by the gallon.

https://www.drainbo.com/product/pau-pilau-1gal/

Last edited:

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I got an O'Neil 3/2 Hyperfreak the other day and am very impressed. Almost too warm, and it feels thin and really flexible. Made it feel like the suit it's replacing, a worn-out RipHurl E-bomb, didn't even work. I just hope it lasts.

Reactions: MathDebater

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Good advice sought on a short john, please.

Can get a Vissla 7 Seas 2mm or an O'Neill O'Riginal 2mm.

Might not be much in it, but if any of you have experience with them, please sing out.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

Might not be much in it, but if any of you have experience with them, please sing out.
It's a short john and has pretty limited use. Go with whatever fits best.

Reactions: Maz

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017

Ive had a couple Short Johns and liked the oneill the best. Had a Vissla vest and it was also really nice but seemed like it was made of thinner feeling neoprene. Personally I’d go oneill.

Reactions: Maz
Dec 28, 2019
My Isurus has been received by them on 12/3 and still not credit. Might have to email them if I don’t get soon. Don’t like that they did not even bother to send an automated email that they have received the suit. But understand everyone is short staffed and overworked so I will chill.

Dec 28, 2019
I got an O'Neil 3/2 Hyperfreak the other day and am very impressed. Almost too warm, and it feels thin and really flexible. Made it feel like the suit it's replacing, a worn-out RipHurl E-bomb, didn't even work. I just hope it lasts.
My Hyperfreak 3/2 began to unravel at the area the inner thigh hugs the board when siiting on it. Took about 8 mths to show. Never had a suit do that. Inside tape held up very well but the skin at the crotch, inner thigh, and the cuffs of both the arms and legs all began to disintegrate. flexible but holds water over time and gets cold with any wind.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
My Hyperfreak 3/2 began to unravel at the area the inner thigh hugs the board when siiting on it. Took about 8 mths to show. Never had a suit do that. Inside tape held up very well but the skin at the crotch, inner thigh, and the cuffs of both the arms and legs all began to disintegrate. flexible but holds water over time and gets cold with any wind.
I think the leg cuffs will wear out first because they're ridiculously tight. Practically need a shoehorn to get them over the heel.

Dec 28, 2019
If your tall 6’3”
if you weigh 165-170
Stop your suit search and purchase an O’Neil MT; the fit and flex is unsurpassed.
trust me, I have tried on MT’s & LT’s in most of the major brands.
Isurus (LTS), Feral, Billabong, Excel, Buell, Volcolm, Ripcurl, Quicksilver.
Closest 2nd choice fit was the Volcolm LT but the arm length came up short and a bit baggy.
I settled on the O’Neil Psycho One 4/3 Slant Zip for this winter over the Hyperfreak.
My 3/2 Hyperfreak fell apart and got cold, and I did not like the fit of their 4/3+.
Psycho One is the winner.
the whole process was a royal pain and did cost me a few bucks in shiiping fees.
overall, well worth the time and effort.
Now need waves!

Reactions: MrTips and emmohl80