The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

Dec 28, 2019
i once had a link for custom bewet suits from japan. still have that suit and its still the best suit ive ever had. going on 3 seasons with it. 3/3 with a tougher textured smoothskin across the top half and a fuzzy green liner on the inside. it was custom fit so its by far my most comfortable suit and stretchy suit. downside is i paid 550 for it but three seasons aint a bad deal.

Not gonna lie though, that mollusk suit i got for 250 is a pretty solid deal if it holds up for even 2 seasons. not as comfortable or stretchy as my custom but still pretty damn good
Never heard of. Mollusk, will check them out. thanks

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
what's that wetsuit shampoo? I hung my wetsuits too often in the sun..so they've gotten a little crusty

wetties: 2 oneil 4/3 hyperfreaks (best wetsuites I've ever owned, so comfy), 1 matuse 4/3, 2 excel infinity 3/2's, 1 flashbomb 3/2, 1 excel 2mm short sleeve full (favorite suit to wear), 1 west 2mm short sleeve full, and 2 excel 2mm springsuits

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
How is everyone taking care of their suit?

I am on post session shampoo and rinse Program. Dry over a chair under my shaded patio

Helps having 3-4 to rotate through. Should we post wetsuit quivers? Hahahahahhahaha
rinse off after surf at beach shower or with water jug, change and soak in bathtub or hose water bucket for a few minutes afterwards then hang to dry. if the suit gets stinky i'll occasionally add some baby detergent to the water, have some of that ****-off stuff that I haven't use yet, can't see it being "magic"
always hang to dry at the waist in the shade

Reactions: santacruzin

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
what's that wetsuit shampoo? I hung my wetsuits too often in the sun..so they've gotten a little crusty

wetties: 2 oneil 4/3 hyperfreaks (best wetsuites I've ever owned, so comfy), 1 matuse 4/3, 2 excel infinity 3/2's, 1 flashbomb 3/2, 1 excel 2mm short sleeve full (favorite suit to wear), 1 west 2mm short sleeve full, and 2 excel 2mm springsuits
This stuff

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I use this stuff as well, at the recommendation of a dive shop. It’s great. I dont use it more then 2-3 times a year but it works great.
I have used the Oneill or RipCurl branded cleaners before, but now use this Pau Pilau stuff that they sell at Birds. Supposedly eco-friendly and all-natural, and the directions say not to rinse it out. Seems to work fine, without the Tide detergent smell of the others. Maybe use it 1-2x month, or when it starts to smell funky.
https://www.paupilau.com

Last edited:

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I'm always good to rinse my suit in fresh water (or what you might call So-Cal tap water) and always fold at the waist and hang in the shade - like many others - have never washed my suit in soap or shampoo. I have a few suits in rotation. I get 3 years from each suit. YMMV

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Pretty stoked on my Oneill wetsuit tops. Got the 1.5mm and 0.5mm versions. Not shitty like Need Essentials
Did you go reactor or hyperfreak? I have short sleeve reactor I think its .05mm and pretty basic no ties never comes up or what ever and is holding up good. And have hyperfreak long sleeve 1.5mm bells and whistles super buttery got kind of late water got colder still testing but seems pretty solid.

Jun 4, 2019
Zipper sucks, major flaw...I have requested a return of my new Isurus but they are slow to issue a RA#.
Do not be surprised if getting that RA# becomes a major ordeal. I ordered a 4.3 CS from them in Oct. of last year that I wanted to send back b/c the cinch cord wouldn't hold (guess they still haven't fixed that issue despite clearly knowing about it). Requests via email and phone would get a "no problem, we'll get that right over to you" initial response, then crickets. Had to resort to getting the cc company involved to finally get the RA# from them in December.

• Wow
Reactions: oeste858
Apr 29, 2013
Oregon
Hi praise here for Feral customer service. I ordered two sizes of their suits, sent back the one that didn't fit. I had a pre-paid return shipping label within minutes after reaching out to them. They just refunded my credit card for that suit, tracking number shows that the suit just showed up on their door today.

Jul 18, 2018
Do not be surprised if getting that RA# becomes a major ordeal. I ordered a 4.3 CS from them in Oct. of last year that I wanted to send back b/c the cinch cord wouldn't hold (guess they still haven't fixed that issue despite clearly knowing about it). Requests via email and phone would get a "no problem, we'll get that right over to you" initial response, then crickets. Had to resort to getting the cc company involved to finally get the RA# from them in December.
FWIW I had the same experience but then noticed there is an RA form on their website. I had an RA very quickly after I filled out the form and then received my refund the day they received the suits.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Hi praise here for Feral customer service. I ordered two sizes of their suits, sent back the one that didn't fit. I had a pre-paid return shipping label within minutes after reaching out to them. They just refunded my credit card for that suit, tracking number shows that the suit just showed up on their door today.
Ditto. I had cinch cord issue. They paid to fix locally in leucadia. The repair didn’t hold a month after so they sent me a new suit.

Reactions: MrTips and oeste858