The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Live in SD so don’t need gloves and hate wearing booties. Every time I wear them the fill with water and get like little balloons and I can’t deal with them. Got any recommendations for a nice pair?
go down a size and get ones with a strap, I have a rule to not wear booties or gloves until the hands or feet go numb. socal is usually no problem, up north some early am sessions you'd wish to have worn gloves :cry: can surf down to the mid 50s water temp in a 3/2 no booties for shorter sessions if the air is warm enough.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
finally tried on an isurus. honestly I'm not reallty sold. suit seems like great quality, fit was great, but not very flexible at all (I know it loosens up after a few surfs though). Deal breakers for me: Threading the zipper each time (WTF would they do that on a premium suit?) and the cinch cord wouldn't stay put. I know they get their positive reviews but I think I'm staying clear.

what did impress me was the Vissla north seas I tried on. fit was great, chest and back panels, inner liner was comfy. ankles and wrists were super snug. I dug it.

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
When I went to pick up my CZ isurus at San Clemente, the guy in front of me had the same issue with his zipper and the inability to latch it on before zipping. He had to tried on another to make sure he was able to zip it.

I have no issues with mine

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
how's the vissla "ridiculous rubber". Hate the name but seems like a similar concept to the hyperfreak with "pre-stretched" rubber? I think it's only on the high seas.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
When I went to pick up my CZ isurus at San Clemente, the guy in front of me had the same issue with his zipper and the inability to latch it on before zipping. He had to tried on another to make sure he was able to zip it.

I have no issues with mine
Where was this? is there an isurus shop/office in San Clemente?

@silentbutdeadly Where did you try that one on in SD?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
4 sessions in the 5/4 isurus.

first impressions are it's fairly warm. it's hard to tell how warm for sure because the water isn't super cold lately. the air has been in the 40's though so and when it's cloudy and breezy it can chill you down pretty fast. still, i haven't been overheating like i would with a brand new 5/4's like an xcel drylock or rip curl flashbomb. even though the suit has loosened up a little and is easier to get on and off it's definitely not as stretchy and easy to move in as an oneill or buell. it doesn't seem to soak water and get too heavy which is nice. i like that it's slim through the midsection and not sized for the lowest, beer bellied, common denominator (sorry sbd:monkey:). the hood is nice. a little snug at first but now fits my fat head perfectly and doesn't allow much water ingress. the suit feels solidly built, like it will last but that also remains to be seen. i dig whatever they use as seam tape on the inside. i wish Xcel would use this instead of their favored material which seems to be made of paper?

why any slant chest zip suit would require you to thread the zipper is baffling to me. it works but it's not great having to dick around with it with frozen fingers. the cinch cord over the shoulder also doesn't stay put. the little spring loaded cincher thing just doesn't work at all so i can't tighten it up and as a result i get some flushing through the chest zip area on duckdives. my biggest gripe is that the cuffs don't have anything to keep them tight and especially the leg cuffs are constantly getting folded up after a wipeout. it's pretty annoying when surfing punchy beachbreaks (which is what I surf almost exclusively) beacuse it's like after every wave i am messing with the cuffs trying to get my gloves and/or booties tucked back in. somehow the legs themselves are snug but the cuffs are loose. this is a common problem with bargain suits in my experience but most of the top end 5/4's don't have this problem.

overall for the price I think it's a bit lacking. not as bad as a Patagonia or anything but still, not great. it's mostly small details that seperate a good cold water suit from a bad one and the Isurus just doesn't seem to have it quite figured out. the psychotech 5/4 is a much better suit and almost $200 cheaper. if you can find one.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
how's the vissla "ridiculous rubber". Hate the name but seems like a similar concept to the hyperfreak with "pre-stretched" rubber? I think it's only on the high seas.
It's nice. more of a buell type material than a technobutter material though. Vissla seemed well built for a cheaper suit.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

first impressions are it's fairly warm. it's hard to tell how warm for sure because the water isn't super cold lately. the air has been in the 40's though so and when it's cloudy and breezy it can chill you down pretty fast. still, i haven't been overheating like i would with a brand new 5/4's like an xcel drylock or rip curl flashbomb. even though the suit has loosened up a little and is easier to get on and off it's definitely not as stretchy and easy to move in as an oneill or buell. it doesn't seem to soak water and get too heavy which is nice. i like that it's slim through the midsection and not sized for the lowest, beer bellied, common denominator (sorry sbd:monkey:). the hood is nice. a little snug at first but now fits my fat head perfectly and doesn't allow much water ingress. the suit feels solidly built, like it will last but that also remains to be seen. i dig whatever they use as seam tape on the inside. i wish Xcel would use this instead of their favored material which seems to be made of paper?

why any slant chest zip suit would require you to thread the zipper is baffling to me. it works but it's not great having to dick around with it with frozen fingers. the cinch cord over the shoulder also doesn't stay put. the little spring loaded cincher thing just doesn't work at all so i can't tighten it up and as a result i get some flushing through the chest zip area on duckdives. my biggest gripe is that the cuffs don't have anything to keep them tight and especially the leg cuffs are constantly getting folded up after a wipeout. it's pretty annoying when surfing punchy beachbreaks (which is what I surf almost exclusively) beacuse it's like after every wave i am messing with the cuffs trying to get my gloves and/or booties tucked back in. somehow the legs themselves are snug but the cuffs are loose. this is a common problem with bargain suits in my experience but most of the top end 5/4's don't have this problem.

overall for the price I think it's a bit lacking. not as bad as a Patagonia or anything but still, not great. it's mostly small details that seperate a good cold water suit from a bad one and the Isurus just doesn't seem to have it quite figured out. the psychotech 5/4 is a much better suit and almost $200 cheaper. if you can find one.
hey I resent that. I don't have a belly mo more :roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I really like The latest version of the solite booties - 3mm Custom Pro 2.0 . had previous version N those SUCKED-cold, fit was terrible and started falling apart quickly.

Have been using drylock booties for a number of years, but like the new Solites more.

Have prob posted this before:

I really like Hyperflex hooded 4/4.
Have 2 of em and about to order another. Not the most flexible but very warm.

No fancy internal lining - which for me is a plus. That sh!t just ends up making the suit heavier and takes longer to dry-after 10 or so surfs every lined suit I’ve had is like this.

No external “ liquid tape” BS

The not so great: the nylon starts to fray way sooner than other brands- but this doesn’t matter to me-doesn’t effect functionality.

I’m in the water 3-5 days a week on Central Coast. I always soak/rinse in a rubbermaid n hang dry in the shade on a drying rack. No suit lasts more than a year for me-ever. They may look in excellent condition after a year but they become cold and absorb water -all of em. so I sell em on consignment at local surf shop.

So for me-the hyperflex makes perfect sense.
I have an O’Neil hyper freak 4/3+ that’s barely been used and stays in my car as a backup suit.
YMMV

Dec 28, 2019
go down a size and get ones with a strap, I have a rule to not wear booties or gloves until the hands or feet go numb. socal is usually no problem, up north some early am sessions you'd wish to have worn gloves :cry: can surf down to the mid 50s water temp in a 3/2 no booties for shorter sessions if the air is warm enough.
Going down a size feels like my longer toe is pinched to much. I wear a size 12 shoe. Are you suggesting to go down to a 11?

Dec 28, 2019
finally tried on an isurus. honestly I'm not reallty sold. suit seems like great quality, fit was great, but not very flexible at all (I know it loosens up after a few surfs though). Deal breakers for me: Threading the zipper each time (WTF would they do that on a premium suit?) and the cinch cord wouldn't stay put. I know they get their positive reviews but I think I'm staying clear.

what did impress me was the Vissla north seas I tried on. fit was great, chest and back panels, inner liner was comfy. ankles and wrists were super snug. I dug it.
I did not like my Isurus either, same reasons…KAKA zipper. Going back to Boulder.

Dec 28, 2019

Great review, thanks for posting. I am glad I did not keep mine. Lack of a slant zip and tighter sleeves and cuffs does not make sense. Seems the suit is better for a dive setup then for Surfing. My O’Neil P1 has a great zip, tight sleeves and cuffs, and external liquid sealed seems for considerably less $$.

Dec 28, 2019
I really like The latest version of the solite booties - 3mm Custom Pro 2.0 . had previous version N those SUCKED-cold, fit was terrible and started falling apart quickly.

Have been using drylock booties for a number of years, but like the new Solites more.

No fancy internal lining - which for me is a plus. That sh!t just ends up making the suit heavier and takes longer to dry-after 10 or so surfs every lined suit I’ve had is like this.

The not so great: the nylon starts to fray way sooner than other brands- but this doesn’t matter to me-doesn’t effect functionality.

I’m in the water 3-5 days a week on Central Coast. I always soak/rinse in a rubbermaid n hang dry in the shade on a drying rack. No suit lasts more than a year for me-ever. They may look in excellent condition after a year but they become cold and absorb water -all of em. so I sell em on consignment at local surf shop.

I have an O’Neil hyper freak 4/3+ that’s barely been used and stays in my car as a backup suit.
YMMV
i will check out the Solites, thanks. Have you ever owned a Yamamoto suit like a 7till8 or a Feral? Curious to hear your comments if you have and if you have not, why not? I am thinking of ordering a 7till8. Feral did not have correct sizing for me.

Reactions: Swallow Tail
Dec 28, 2019

YMMV
What model Hyperflex do you buy?

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Going down a size feels like my longer toe is pinched to much. I wear a size 12 shoe. Are you suggesting to go down to a 11?
Ya, or 11.5
got some half sized booties from Xcel a few years back. never had any trouble going down a size, at first they'll be squishing your toes but will loosen up after a while.

Dec 5, 2010
i will check out the Solites, thanks. Have you ever owned a Yamamoto suit like a 7till8 or a Feral? Curious to hear your comments if you have and if you have not, why not? I am thinking of ordering a 7till8. Feral did not have correct sizing for me.
i once had a link for custom bewet suits from japan. still have that suit and its still the best suit ive ever had. going on 3 seasons with it. 3/3 with a tougher textured smoothskin across the top half and a fuzzy green liner on the inside. it was custom fit so its by far my most comfortable suit and stretchy suit. downside is i paid 550 for it but three seasons aint a bad deal.

Not gonna lie though, that mollusk suit i got for 250 is a pretty solid deal if it holds up for even 2 seasons. not as comfortable or stretchy as my custom but still pretty damn good