The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

Apr 29, 2013
Oregon
One weekend, gone Feral. I received my size L hooded 5/4/3 last week. The customer service from Feral has been great.
The inital fit was quite tight through the legs and body with a bit of slop under my arm pits. I also ordered a L and LT, but the fit was better on the L. I have typically used LT in other brand suits. I am 6ft and 185 lbs. The Feral 3mm panelling in the arms and armpits seems impossibly thin to be warm in PNW conditions.

I surfed it in all day Saturday. Three short sessions, trying to time the crowd and conditions. Purposefully just kept the suit on all day. Bit stiff and snug during test fit and first day. Day two, two more sessions. Allowed to dry between sessions. The suit is very quick drying and it does hold less water making it lighter. By Sunday the suit has already loosened up in the fit and easy of paddling.

Conditions were light offshore winds and mid-50's water, 40's and 50's air and anemic November 'sun'. Plenty warm enough, in fact surfed with the hood down most of the time, which I rarely do. Zero flush from duckdiving or bailing with the hood on and very little with it off.

So far pretty stoked. Great balance of warmth, paddling and fit. Now is it a value? I also considered a Rip Curl 5/4 which is like $100 cheaper so this suit has to last a long time to be a "value". My favorite suit I've had in the past is the old Rip Curl E-bombs which had no liners. That is why I like Feral, I feel like fuzzy liner are for the showroom. It just holds more water and adds bulk with not much actual warmth. There is very very minimal taping on the Feral suits, so not sure how this is going to be a year down the road. I also tried on a Isurus 4/3 hooded which is almost $100 more. Isurus felt way stiffer than the Feral out of the box. The Feral is already a better paddling suit than my Drylocks and Rip Curls.

Reactions: MathDebater

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
sizing on oneill's? Looking at a hyperfreak but am in between a med and small tall. I typically wear medium in Xcel, Need, 7till8, etc but am wondering if oneill's run a little large?

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I haven't found O'Neill's to run large. Perhaps the torso is a bit longer than Xcel but pretty negligible difference. I am 180-190 x 6' and wear L in both brands.

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
Original ordered an Isurus 3mm zipless but changed it to a 4:3 iSurus Ti Evade CZ. Surprisingly felt a mini flush from duck diving and tiny leak at right lower leg upon entering the water. But the core fuzz in the back and front chest area keeps it pretty warm. Only 2 or 3 sessions so far.

will order a feral 4/3 back zip in December to rotate

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I just picked up a Feral 4/3 MT and the rubber is amazingly soft and flexible. Haven’t gone in the water yet cause I think it might be to small. I am 6’3” 165 and their MT on the size chart shows 5’11” - 6’1”. I am concerned it’s a bit short for me but hard to say. Any thoughts on the suit loosening up?
I have MT feral. Im 6'0" 175. MT fits perfect length wise. No way would it fit 6'3". Id swap it for the next size up for you.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
first time out in the Feral 5/4/3 around SC. giving the suit the once over there are some design changes from last years (stitching on the inside instead of just taped). Overall similar to my 3.5 but a bit beefier. Should be great for when I go back north over xmas break
Nicked the leg when coming in over the reef :bricks:

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
@whynotsurf i wouldn’t expect that rubber to stretch. IMO it feels like moves with you like a second skin, but is not stretchy like say, hyper techno psycho butter.

As someone who whose biggest fit issue is the length in the torso, I would advise not risking it if you think it’s possibly too short. That puts a lot of unnecessary strain on the seams of the suit and they will break down faster. I’m an LT in every brand, but some fit better than others. I returned the Feral 3/2 because it fit shorter than the Isurus 3/3. If Isurus or another OTR suit doesn’t fit your tall slim frame, you should consider custom.

I have Isurus 2/2 CZ in LTS and agree having to thread the zip every time is a PITA. Are all their CZs like that? I can see how that makes the neck entry easier to open wider, with less strain pulling the seam. Like sh3 I really like the zipperless entry. I’ve really noticed the difference lately in my neck muscles not being sore from paddling like the CZ. YMMV
I actually wrote Isurus an email because I am so stoked on the zipperless.

I'd for sure get a 4/3 (hell, even a 4/4) if they made it.

Dec 28, 2019
@whynotsurf i wouldn’t expect that rubber to stretch. IMO it feels like moves with you like a second skin, but is not stretchy like say, hyper techno psycho butter.

As someone who whose biggest fit issue is the length in the torso, I would advise not risking it if you think it’s possibly too short. That puts a lot of unnecessary strain on the seams of the suit and they will break down faster. I’m an LT in every brand, but some fit better than others. I returned the Feral 3/2 because it fit shorter than the Isurus 3/3. If Isurus or another OTR suit doesn’t fit your tall slim frame, you should consider custom.

I have Isurus 2/2 CZ in LTS and agree having to thread the zip every time is a PITA. Are all their CZs like that? I can see how that makes the neck entry easier to open wider, with less strain pulling the seam. Like sh3 I really like the zipperless entry. I’ve really noticed the difference lately in my neck muscles not being sore from paddling like the CZ. YMMV
I have MT feral. Im 6'0" 175. MT fits perfect length wise. No way would it fit 6'3". Id swap it for the next size up for you.
Feral said I would fit better in the MT cause I am skinny but I agree with you, it’s a bit restricting and needs tad more length. I ordered the LT as well and it fits better length wise but am concerned it’s too much suit. Seems my best fit is the O’Neil Psycho One MT.

Dec 28, 2019

All their CZs are the same kaka zipper, shame. I have considered custom and prob go with 7till8 for that, like their outfit and quality seems legit; price not bad. I see you purchased a LTS from Isurus, you must be tall and Skinny like me. have you tried a Feral in the LT? Height is within spec for me but weight is for someone much heavier so I am concerned it will be baggy in the water, your thoughts? I am 6’3” 165.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019
first time out in the Feral 5/4/3 around SC. giving the suit the once over there are some design changes from last years (stitching on the inside instead of just taped). Overall similar to my 3.5 but a bit beefier. Should be great for when I go back north over xmas break
Nicked the leg when coming in over the reef :bricks:
Eat a fvcking sandwich, bro.
Strikes over bro, get something to eat!
Geez, guess I am on the thin side but upper body ripped like Rambo…could hit the gym more. Just finished the best burrito in North County….couldn’t finish it all. My Volcom MT 4/3 Slant Zip is on its way. Looking forward to trying it on and comparing it to the Psycho One since the MT for Volcom runs on the taller size (6’-6’2”) but thinner weight range then O’Neils. Sending back the Feral’s, wish they would have fit. Awesome suit though. Wonder if the 7till8 brand is the same feeling suit like the Feral? Anyone had any experience with them? Oh, did I mention; I’m 6’3” 165?

Last edited: