The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

ckupczynski1

OTF status
Oct 14, 2009
second session in the need essentials 3/2 this morning..still stiff af but not a single drop of water touched my body i reckon. was dry when i peeled it off in the lot and felt warm the whole session despite it being 50 degree air and high 50's water.
I have the 4/3 last year model and it took about 6-8 sessions to break in. It’s a good suit and I’ll be using it again come January-April

Reactions: CutnSnip

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I have the 4/3 last year model and it took about 6-8 sessions to break in. It’s a good suit and I’ll be using it again come January-April
yea - the fit is good, and its a comfy suit. just alot stiffer out the gate than the rip curls ive been wearing the last decade or so. finally cold enough to warrant wearing a new suit so im sure itll break in quickly now.

I bought a 4/3 at the same time for when the temps dip around here in January.

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
Bought the zipless 3/3 about 4-5 months ago.

Super flexible and soft. Material of the wetsuit itself is very high quality. But I started getting rips in the seams about 3 months in.

Talked to customer service and they said they prioritize flexibility, which I get but three months when I wasn't even wearing the suit full time is a bummer.

They did pay to get the seams patched, but I can already feel water starting to seep through the crotch repair. No bueno.

You might have better luck with the chest zip. I think part of the problem is the zipless flushes regularly (I was told to expect this and honestly didn't mind because the suit is really warm), which pulls the legs/crotch down and puts extra stress on that area.
What are your dims and the size you got?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
That's good to know. I just got mine back from seam repair and discovered the leak. Been hesitant to get back to them cause I don't want to be stuck with my shitty Xcel backup now that the water's cooling down.

My brother in law rented an excel this weekend. I was shocked at how god awfully heavy it was.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
Have a bunch of isurus suits (5/4 hooded, 4/3 no hood, 3mil zipperless hooded) and I don't think I would recommend a zipperless isurus (got mine used on CL to fill out the wetsuit quiver)

at least for the way mine fits (tight!) it takes a lot of stretching to get on/off, which started to create a hole where the chest seams meet. tbh i don't really see the benefits of a zipperless suit (my zipped suits are plenty flexible for me)

generally love their suits -- warm flexy and last a long time minus the issue described above

btesser

OTF status
Jul 18, 2005
LA
Visit site
I've got about 60 sessions on my O'Neill 4/3 Hyperfreak with hood. Insane flexibility. Bar none, it's the lightest, most flexible and comfortable suit I have ever owned. So far, the only issue is some thinning on the right knee pad, which I expect will become a hole at some point. Will definitely buy another one when this one wears out. I wore Rip Curls for years and hadn't owned an O'Neill suit since the early 90's. Of course, durability is a concern. But I don't care. I like being warm in the water and the flexibility makes surfing so much more enjoyable.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
may just get another mutant
You weren’t gonna get the zipperless anyway, just get the chest zip Isurus.
I did have the initial flushing with my zipperless 3/3 but simply cinching the cord another 1/2 inch solved it. I ordered the LT and they also emailed to try to talk me into LTS. They design their suits to fit tight, but LT fits my long torso perfectly. Later I ended up getting a barely used 2/2 full in LTS, and it’s just slightly short in the torso for me. I’ll replace it with a zipperless 2/2 next spring.
YMMV

Last edited: