The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Interesting. I have a hooded 5/4+ and non hooded 4/3+ Hyperfreak and no linerage. 5 is almost 2 years old, but 4 is pretty new bought this past BF. That said both suits are plenty warm, so hasn't really be an issue.
My 3mm hyperfreak comp is plenty warm here accept when winds are over 10mph and long waits.

Reactions: SeaFoamGreen
May 10, 2018
I got a 3/2 Needs full sealed. I got the medium and it fits like a glove even though I was at the top end of the size range and they said to go a size up. It got delivered in 3 days too.

Reactions: sdsrfr

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Pre-covid:

150 dollar (1/2 off) discount suit on the online sites.

Post covid:

20 percent markup on full retail, 6 month wait.
so lucky to have picked up an extra 3/2 and 4/3 before the flu hit, have two brand new unworn suits ready for next winter

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Yeah I usually pick up my new suits during Black Friday sales and save 15% to 20%. Due to replace my primary and wonder if I should pull the trigger now. I was able to pick up a 4mill for 15% off last BF, but that is not my primary suit. Looking at inventory online my size seems to be sold out rn in the model I was thinking about. May grab a DaKine and call it good. Price seems reasonable.

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
I got a 3/2 Needs full sealed. I got the medium and it fits like a glove even though I was at the top end of the size range and they said to go a size up. It got delivered in 3 days too.
Yeah I was pretty happy with Need’s service, really quick replies and shipping. Just got the Need 4/3 and I’ve used it about a dozen times. Like many have said not as flexible but man it’s warm.
Serious wetsuit shortage going into winter (Oz) as most smaller “wetsuit only” brands were out of stock with only Rip, Quick & Bong fully stocked. Speaking of Rip Curl, I sent an old Zipfree 4/3 FB back for seams to get resealed as the thing still looked new. They’ve had it for 3 months and take 4-6 weeks to respond to emails, p**s poor customer service. They way things are going it should be done just in time for summer.

Reactions: noise and Bman76

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I treated myself to a new Adelio 4/3 integrated hood, Chippa Wilson Sketchy Tank designer wetsuit. Japanese limestone neoprene. What I really want is a 5/4, but this was a rare opportunity to get something that fits me.

I intended to wait a few months for the water to warm up, but I couldn't resist trying it and its had two arvo surfs. What a difference a new wetty makes! Something that fits seems to help too. Not much difference in warmth betweeen my 5.5 mm Xcel comp and 5/4 Xcel Drylock, but considerably lighter.

My Xcels were of course warmer when new. The 5.5 mm Xcel comp has seen one and half winters of up to 4 times a week use and started to leak. The Drylock has seen several seasons of 2 to 3 times a week use. The Drylock is not really leaking because of the external seam rubber sealer is largely intact. The neoprene on the elbows has collapsed due to the way I rest my elbows on the deck when duckdiving, but apart from that still intact, therefore it must be breaking down and losing its insulation.

I don't expect my Adelio to stay warm for more than a season and a half. Stitched wetsuits always seem to develop leaks before the rubber sealed types. Like all neoprene I have used, it will lose its insulation after 2 seasons. The wetsuit that seemed to hold its insulation best was my Yulex Patagonia. Real rubber seems to be harder wearing than synthetic neoprene, the penalty is that it is like wearing car inner tube. Despite that I liked my Patagonia, it made me feel rich and was purchased in that era when wetsuits sometimes went on sale. What happened to the Patagonia was that after 3 seasons the rubber seam sealer developed cracks which leak badly in the groin area and its now too cold.

A digression, but I have had some fun surfs yesterday and day before. Semi closeout beachbreak. Hardly anyone else out (or no-one). The waves I managed to make were super fast and I pretended I was in New Jersey. Rest today, more surfing tomorrow.

Last edited:

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I’m curious how this works
Something like this. In a real duckdive my foot would be on the tail kick not the floor of course. This way the board will never get ripped out of my hands and hit me in the face. It could get pulled the other way out of my hands. This technique works very well for me. Despite some overhead crunching waves this morning I don't think I lost grip where it gets pulled away from me and there is no chance it can get pushed out of my hands into my face.

This arvo I creased this board :( I'm going to order another one exactly the same.
ElbowsOnTheDeck.jpg

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Something like this. In a real duckdive my foot would be on the tail kick not the floor of course. This way the board will never get ripped out of my hands and hit me in the face. It could get pulled the other way out of my hands. This technique works very well for me. Despite some overhead crunching waves this morning I don't think I lost grip where it gets pulled away from me and there is no chance it can get pushed out of my hands into my face.

This arvo I creased this board :( I'm going to order another one exactly the same.
View attachment 113574
Thanks for the explanation. Sorry to hear about the board, hope the next one comes out great.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Weak AF. you can just use your arms extended like a real man, maybe roll off to the side if your little elf twigs fail and feel the board about to hit you in the face :monkey:

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Thanks for the explanation. Sorry to hear about the board, hope the next one comes out great.
No worries, it seems I made a spectacle of myself, so thanks for acknowledging. Board is fubar'd with bent rocker, but getting another one shouldn't be a problem. Only the second board I have buckled in my life and I got a fair amount of use out of it, so in the grand scheme of things I'm doing alright. I recommissioned my Chilli Grom+ this morning - that's a great board, a bit faster particularly in flatter waves because of the way I can get it to ride over the surface, but less positive in the juice than the one I buckled.

FuBar.jpg

Reactions: sushipop

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Interesting technique. I don't think I've ever seen that before.
So I studied my technique this morning and it seems I employ that technique or not is a subconscious choice. I don't do it on regular softer waves, but brace myself in that position whenever I believe I am going to get slammed - which seems to happen a lot. Even the industrial grade rubber of my Patagonia is thinned on the elbows, the neoprene on my xcel is completely pancaked flat. However I reckon worn elbows only accounts for a small percentage of overall insulation loss.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Weak AF. you can just use your arms extended like a real man, maybe roll off to the side if your little elf twigs fail and feel the board about to hit you in the face :monkey:
No one else is reporting this technique, so weakness might be why I employ it, I have never been strong. Our resident strongman Von Meister reckons that I am weaker than the average middle aged woman which from viewing that demographic around me I would say is true. The average aussie woman is certainly a lot bigger than me! I would like to think I am fitter though.

So I do have an arms extended technique as well, in certain situations I have my body underwater dead straight like superman and hold the board as parallel as I can to let the water flow between board and me with minimal resistance - do you ever do that? Or is it another sign of weakness LOL

While I am on the subject of duckdiving I have a nice story. Sometimes I get lucky and am sucked down deep. In this situation I can sometimes just point the nose of my board in the direction of the surface and wait for the buoyancy to pull me to the surface.

Years ago in Bells beach I was in this sucked deep situation and I had my arms above me holding my board trying to thread it towards the surface when a sideways current twisted my spine sideways. I felt/heard a distinct "click". My reaction was f*** f*** and upon reaching the surface I clambered on to my board and waited for the pain to kick in, but there was no pain! It occurred to me that the click was just like what I sometimes experience from a chiropractor adjustment. I explained this to my chiropractor and the thought was that I had my spine adjusted so much that it was pliable and resilient. This has only happened twice in my life - the second time was about 2 months ago.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
So I do have an arms extended technique as well, in certain situations I have my body underwater dead straight like superman and hold the board as parallel as I can to let the water flow between board and me with minimal resistance - do you ever do that? Or is it another sign of weakness LOL
Duck diving is not something I think consciously about, the only thing would be to try and go deeper depending on the amount of whitewater and power in the waves. I don't try and hang on if it will be unsuccessful, just let the board go underwater and hopefully it's still attached to the legrope when you resurface.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
No one else is reporting this technique, so weakness might be why I employ it, I have never been strong. Our resident strongman Von Meister reckons that I am weaker than the average middle aged woman which from viewing that demographic around me I would say is true. The average aussie woman is certainly a lot bigger than me! I would like to think I am fitter though.
coffee on the sheets , man. dying.

:roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: Mr J