The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Depends on your situation.

If you surf 3 or 4 days a week and wear a 3/2 year round is $900 really too much to spend?

I see the other sh!t people pay $900 for and I laugh at the fleeting worthlessness of what they buy. Or people that buy sh!t like nice cars.

So I guess it's perspective.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
funny think about all these custom suits is i don’t care enough to try and chase down measurements, I just want the equivalent of an OTR medium tall. I’ll even wait for them to cut it out and glue it up if need be.

i didn’t think $900 is obnoxious other than how poor a suit it was for $900. If it can actually last 5yrs and fit like a rusisan condom it’s probs worth it.

if you dig at who post here, plenty of us with spare cash to justify on the nice things but hardly any of us are FOMO’ing over wetsuits.

Reactions: jkb and oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
@sdsrfr yeah, it’s all relative.
for me, my most expensive suit previously was flahbomb+, which I think was over $300, so to me the line was $400. I considered my Isurus 3mil zipperless a yolo. But it’s fantastic and dammit, I’m worth it.
I guess the way prices are going, maybe $500 is baller / YOLO?

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
My short arm full cost more than my 4/3. $175 vs. $170. :roflmao:

Both wetsuits work just fine. No rashes, no leaks, and they fit as long as I keep the beer and burrito consumption at a sustainable pace.

I'm sorry; $600 is crazy. The most I've ever spent on a wetsuit of any kind is $200, which ironically was over 15 years ago. :crazy2:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Kento, We need a wetsuit quiver shot.
Ask and ye shall receive.

1623371265727.jpeg

L to R: Shortsleeve rashguard, longsleeve rashguard (for farmer tan avoidance), 2/2 shortarm full, 4/3 full

Cumulative retail value: Far damn less than that 1mm Quik suit for $900.

sbd, that wetsuit does have style. Those booties look top of the line too. That guy in the middle, though, seriously... is that nameless? :roflmao:

BTW, I will add that the designer board and wetsuit shopping styles of some people on here very closely resembles women shopping for designer purses and shoes on Rodeo Drive. I mean, you gotta have two or three different ones for each day of the week! :nana:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
if you dig at who post here, plenty of us with spare cash to justify on the nice things but hardly any of us are FOMO’ing over wetsuits.
The most important thing in surfing is being warm. More important than the board.

Also, I think a lot of the guys rocking budget suits aren't surfing that much. Or at least as much as some of us.

If you're getting in the water once a week a lot of the budget suits will be fine.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
BTW, I will add that the designer board and wetsuit shopping styles of some people on here very closely resembles women shopping for designer purses and shoes on Rodeo Drive. I mean, you gotta have two or three different ones for each day of the week! :nana:
You're not wrong. Bored, procrastinating work, and chained to a computer most of the week = too much time to look at "gear"

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
The most important thing in surfing is being warm. More important than the board.

Also, I think a lot of the guys rocking budget suits aren't surfing that much. Or at least as much as some of us.

If you're getting in the water once a week a lot of the budget suits will be fine.
Yes, I figure if I can handle 48 to 52 degree water in that suit and booties for a 3+ hour session, that's good enough for me.

Overall, am down to once or twice a week right now. However, even surfing 3-6 days a week, generally would get at least 3 to 5 years out of each suit. Washing them out promptly and hang-drying them in the shade after each session goes a long ways to making them last.

In my experience, once you get past a certain price point, it's just status driving a shitty product. They know they have suckers on the line. Refer to Exhibit A: Oakley.

Reactions: rowjimmytour