The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Don't remember if I previously posted. But after this winter, I'm very stocked on the Isurus 3 mil zipfree fullsuit I got in October. Hands-down the best suit I've ever owned in 35 years of surfing.
Quality and workmanship are top notch. The Yamamoto #40 rubber feels like a second skin that moves with you. Very flexible but not overly stretchy like it's going to wear out over time. Never been cold all winter in SoCal without any smoothie, regardless of wind or conditions.
Zipperless entry is perfect, easier to get in/out than the chest zips I've had (and I'm not exceptionally flexible). Much less shoulder soreness than I get from paddling a lot in chest-zip suits. This was very obvious after the sessions when I had to use my old back up suit a few times this winter. Initial minor flushing at entry was solved by cinching the cord down an inch more than I have on other suits. Easy.
LT size fits me perfectly. Wish I would've gotten one of these sooner. I got 25% off when I bought it, but it is worth every penny, IMHO... assuming it will be as durable as I expect. Can't picture going back to non-yamamoto rubber or a non-zipperless suit again.
I liked it so much I grabbed a 2-month old Isurus 2 mil fullsuit off CL. Guy said he gets a bro deal hookup so replaces his lightly used ones after a couple months. Never had a 2 mil full before, but it's pretty great too and perfect for this time of year.

Last edited:

surfapotomus

OTF status
Jan 21, 2014
on a leash
I'm closing out winter #2 with my 3/2 Isurus and still loving it. It's nearly as warm as my 4/3 E6 Ebomb, which has been a great suit in it's own right.

Honorable mention goes to my Billabong Furnace Comp 2mm booties. I HATE booties. But, I didn't mind these one bit. They're basically just neoprene socks with rubber patches on the sole. Light, easy on/off, and superb board feel. I was afraid they would fill up like a balloon with water but that hasn't been the case. I'm a 9.5 shoe and the size small fit me perfectly.

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
Honorable mention goes to my Billabong Furnace Comp 2mm booties. I HATE booties. But, I didn't mind these one bit. They're basically just neoprene socks with rubber patches on the sole. Light, easy on/off, and superb board feel. I was afraid they would fill up like a balloon with water but that hasn't been the case. I'm a 9.5 shoe and the size small fit me perfectly.
Those booties are the greatest surf accessory I've ever bought.

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
I'm closing out winter #2 with my 3/2 Isurus and still loving it. It's nearly as warm as my 4/3 E6 Ebomb, which has been a great suit in it's own right.

Agreed, these booties are great as far as board feel. They reminded me of better versions of the oneill ninja boots. Unfortunately, I got holes in the bottom of both of them within 2 months of daily use from my walk to and from the beach. Tossed em in the trash.

surfapotomus

OTF status
Jan 21, 2014
on a leash
Agreed, these booties are great as far as board feel. They reminded me of better versions of the oneill ninja boots. Unfortunately, I got holes in the bottom of both of them within 2 months of daily use from my walk to and from the beach. Tossed em in the trash.
I wait till I'm on the sand before putting them on.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Finally water warmed enough to use my Billabong 4/3 furnace comp, light comfortable and flexible, one thing I think they changed the sizing wore a large in the 5 mil slightly short, in the 4 mill a little too long. Should have went LS or Med but this was the only size availble(online). So try them on if you can.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Bought a pair of Vissla 7mm boots midway through the winter. Love them. Feet were getting cold in my Xcel drylocks (new ones too - pretty disappointing after using them for 15 years).

The Visslas are really comfortable, no velcro bs. Good amount of support from the rubber pieces (no flopping around). Most importantly they’re warm and still no leaks/water getting in. Seems easy to find discounts too - so they’re just about half the price of xcels.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Bought a pair of Vissla 7mm boots midway through the winter. Love them. Feet were getting cold in my Xcel drylocks (new ones too - pretty disappointing after using them for 15 years).

The Visslas are really comfortable, no velcro bs. Good amount of support from the rubber pieces (no flopping around). Most importantly they’re warm and still no leaks/water getting in. Seems easy to find discounts too - so they’re just about half the price of xcels.
nice. i'm also pretty disenchanted with the drylock boots recently. seems like they just aren't as warm as they used to be.

did you go same size with the vissla? how does the fit compare?

Jul 4, 2006
New England
nice. i'm also pretty disenchanted with the drylock boots recently. seems like they just aren't as warm as they used to be.

I'm so so on the visslas 7mm boots. Ended up going back to my 2 year old hotline 7mm near the end of winter. Visslas fit a tad more generously (more give/more flexible) than the same size drylocks, but they also split near the ankle cuff on both boots so perhaps that is what caused them to start feeling cooler due to more water infiltration. Not bad, but I'm back to hotlines for next winter.

Reactions: Aruka

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
My Vissla High Seas 4/3 has been a great bang for the buck suit. I got 30% off on it so it was just over $200 bucks, but it’d still be a deal at regular MSRP. The two negatives are the super stretch upper torso/arm area that almost looks like velvet, gets a little pilled where it’s continually rubbed. Mine right inner arm had some minor pilling from either rubbing against my leg or board.

There are two lines of some sort of liquid tape that’s supposed to keep the zip-free portion of the shoulder flap centered but it’s not correctly oriented. There doesn’t seem to be any negative issue with water intrusion or anything else I can figure out with the edge of the flap not seating correctly.

The over the shoulder draw string to cinch down the over-the-head/shoulder flap could sit more flush, but it’s a nitpick and I don’t think anyone looking at the suit would notice anything.

I thought it was super thin and light until I put back on a 3/2 which is definitely thinner lighter. It’s a 2020/2021 RVCA , but an Xcel for all intents and purposes and has the tie-dye look Celliant lining.

I find Vissla’s zip-free to be as easy to get off and on as the RVCA/Xcel chest zip.

Reactions: Aruka and oeste858

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002

Close enough. Visslas maybe a touch roomier. They both fit my wide feet. Narrower ones, like O’Neills, do not work at all for me.

Also, Fwiw, my xcels felt a little tighter than in years past.

Reactions: Aruka

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Finally water warmed enough to use my Billabong 4/3 furnace comp, light comfortable and flexible, one thing I think they changed the sizing wore a large in the 5 mil slightly short, in the 4 mill a little too long. Should have went LS or Med but this was the only size availble(online). So try them on if you can.
I found the sizing to be same as O'neill and my new 4/3 furnace hood fit perfect MS 5'8" 170# even though chart showed slight smaller waist.

Reactions: mundus

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Bought a 4/3 Quiksilver Syncro for $150. Nothing special, just a wetsuit, I guess, but has kept me warm in sub-50 degree water. I greatly prefer back-zip wetsuits; so much easier to put on. The many-duck-dives-in-a-row in 48 degree water, my body and feet were fine but my head was like Viserys but with a liquid nitrogen crown. May have to acquiesce and get a hood eventually; I am resisting. Good testament to wetsuit/booties though if you ask me.

I got some of those Ripcurl Drylock booties. Only used a couple times but I dislike them. Heavy, lack of ankle flexibility, they crimp the top one of my toes for some reason, and actually overly warm to point of being clammy. I also distrust/hate the heel loop needed to take them on/off; feels like I'm putting on old Nordica ski boots or that I recently crossed the mafia and they took me fishing.

I do have a pair of 20 year old O'Neill split toe booties. I assume 3 mil? Hadn't needed them down south so they just sat around a lot but breaking them out again now that they're very much needed, they are pretty close to perfect, snug, warm, don't fill up with water at all, stick to the board well, etc. I barely even notice they're on; might as well be slippers. Unfortunately I know they're not forever as there is some glue degradation in of the soles and the little bit of netting by the ankle is corroding.

Would love to get another pair but I don't think they make that style anymore (I sure can't find them online) and reviews of latest generation of their booties were pretty unfavorable, mainly that they fill up with water. Any suggestions to something as close to the O'Neills from that era?

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Bought a 4/3 Quiksilver Syncro for $150. Nothing special, just a wetsuit, I guess, but has kept me warm in sub-50 degree water. I greatly prefer back-zip wetsuits; so much easier to put on. The many-duck-dives-in-a-row in 48 degree water, my body and feet were fine but my head was like Viserys but with a liquid nitrogen crown. May have to acquiesce and get a hood eventually; I am resisting. Good testament to wetsuit/booties though if you ask me.

I got some of those Ripcurl Drylock booties. Only used a couple times but I dislike them. Heavy, lack of ankle flexibility, they crimp the top one of my toes for some reason, and actually overly warm to point of being clammy. I also distrust/hate the heel loop needed to take them on/off; feels like I'm putting on old Nordica ski boots or that I recently crossed the mafia and they took me fishing.

I do have a pair of 20 year old O'Neill split toe booties. I assume 3 mil? Hadn't needed them down south so they just sat around a lot but breaking them out again now that they're very much needed, they are pretty close to perfect, snug, warm, don't fill up with water at all, stick to the board well, etc. I barely even notice they're on; might as well be slippers. Unfortunately I know they're not forever as there is some glue degradation in of the soles and the little bit of netting by the ankle is corroding.

Would love to get another pair but I don't think they make that style anymore (I sure can't find them online) and reviews of latest generation of their booties were pretty unfavorable, mainly that they fill up with water. Any suggestions to something as close to the O'Neills from that era?
Like you I hate booties and only wear them in Santa Cruz and North never at home but last year I bought a pair of these only 3/2 but flexible and good board foot feel.

Reactions: Kento

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
The glued parts on my Solite's keep tearing off after about 4-6 months of use. This includes the loop on the heel that you use to take them off and the pass-through tab for the velcro strap. Need to contact about warranty. Anyone else having this issue? These boots fit me and keep water out better than any others I've tried.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Have to say, I’m enjoying my first 2 mil fullsuit (Isurus c-zip) the past few weeks of SoCal Spring. A non-essential but nice addition that’s getting more use than I thought. Most guys in the water still wearing 3/2 fulls. I’m perfectly warm and nice to a little have less rubber. I love my s/s full (matuse) but realized the legs on that are much thinner, feels more like 1-1.5mil, so we’re maybe still not quite there yet

Reactions: jkb

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
The glued parts on my Solite's keep tearing off after about 4-6 months of use. This includes the loop on the heel that you use to take them off and the pass-through tab for the velcro strap. Need to contact about warranty. Anyone else having this issue? These boots fit me and keep water out better than any others I've tried.
I had an issue, emailed them and they were very responsive.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
1 full season in on the technodank 3 psycho 1 and I’m pretty stoked on it. Held up much better than some of my other super flexible suits.

wonderibg if the water is gonna go full warmup mode or derp back into the high50s. current water temps put me in wetsuit limbo.