The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Anyone got experience with the fit differences between the O'Neill Hyperfreak and the O'Neill Hyperfreak Fire on the shoulders? I've read the Fire is more restrictive on the shoulders. I'm a lanky build with wide shoulders and shoulder mobility is usually a problematic point on the wetsuit fit for me. Volcom Modulator fits almost like a glove in MT but i need a 5/4 without a hood. And is warmth and durability really that much worse on the normal Hyperfreak?
My 3mm hyperfreak comp fit exactly same as my 3/2 hyperfreak fire MS 5'8" 170#. The only difference is my comp hyperfreak had no inside liner :shrug:

Last edited:
Reactions: LoganV

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I just LOL at the branding genius of “HYPER FREAK FIRE
It’s perfect for an XXXtreme sport like sarfing! :ROFLMAO:
I believe O'neil followed "copied" firewire after seeing the profits from adult learners and how they eat up the word fire and ibolic. Next the psych -ibolic -freak with built in hood, booties, and extra layer of trunks on outside:monkey:

• Haha
Reactions: LoganV

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
late 80s backzip bodyglove chafe machines I grew up on didnt have no techno butter

Jan 10, 2014
What are the favorite wetsuit tops? I have an old rip curl one that’s falling apart and will need to replace. Anyone try the yamato ones like feral, Isurus?

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
quick update on hyperfreak fire

defly warm suit. with booties and thin 1.5mm hood, 4/3 has been good in 54 degree water. never got cold. shoulders still a bit tight but doesn't seem to affect paddling. would def'ly purchase again. that new lining is dry when i take the suit off. only drawback was a pinhole leak in the lower back area.

jimmy saying we are all pansys for wearing 4/3 in 50 degree water in 3,2,1...

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
What are the favorite wetsuit tops? I have an old rip curl one that’s falling apart and will need to replace. Anyone try the yamato ones like feral, Isurus?
I don't think yamo tops would be worth the extra coin. The water is obviously warm enough that you're not too concerned with insulation if you're wearing just a top and personally, I don't mind putting on a semi-damp one, so the quicker drying aspect isn't a big selling point.

Coincidentally, I'll be grabbing an Isurus top in a day or two, but I'm getting hooked-up by them and probably won't have a chance to wear it until early June.