The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
A $1,000 wetsuit that lasts 4 seasons is less wasteful than a $500 wetsuit that lasts 2. If it were that simple I would much prefer the high cost/high longevity choice for my hooded winter wetties. My cheap summer 3/2 suits do last me about 4 seasons due to only getting about 3months use a year and I'm also rotating 2 or more. So happy with the cheap option for summer.

I would like a Japanese suit, but their websites are not set up for international order. Mellow wetsuits look really cool with nice colour choices, but website in Japanese which I can't navigate.
I'm not sure if you're talking in AUD Mr J, but I'm not buying top of the line boutique Japanese wetsuit brands like Axxe. The last Japanese 4/3 I got was $600 USD. This is a stock sized wetsuit (no custom size) but I did customize certain features that I wanted, like having an secondary neck gasket and narrowing the ankle and wrist cuffs slightly. I'm not sure if prices have gone up (or not) since my last order, but if they have I can't image they would be very drastic. In the end, I'm paying $150/season for my suits.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
@Mr J
To parrot jkb I paid about $500 US for custom Japanese. If you're really interested you could reach out to Ryo @reunionwetsuits they could possibly ship straight to Au. Like Cyber they have a form for measurement that isn't hard to fill out (someone skilled in tailor measuring is preferred) keep things snug in the neck,wrist,and ankle. Assuming you're not far off from big box stock measurements. Suit take a couple months for delivery. The new 2022 Yamamoto rubber is most excellent

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
wetsuit update. two sessions in the matuse tumo 4/3. Water aint 4/3 temps but the air its. Anyway, not overly impressed. suit fits and feels good for the most part. Zipper is really heave duty and you can feel it bind up in the chest. Not a deal breaker but kind of annoying. Was surprised that I wasn't boiling the 2 times I wore it so I wore my 2.5 year old Feral this morning for comparison and despite it's age it's still noticeably warmer than the brand new Matuse :socrazy:

@jkb was it you that was warning me of this?

Oh well, not sure what I'm going to do at this point. May try to sell it if I can get decent money for it. If not, it's wearable.

SBD's venture to more premium suits is not paying off so far,

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
wetsuit update. two sessions in the matuse tumo 4/3. Water aint 4/3 temps but the air its. Anyway, not overly impressed. suit fits and feels good for the most part. Zipper is really heave duty and you can feel it bind up in the chest. Not a deal breaker but kind of annoying. Was surprised that I wasn't boiling the 2 times I wore it so I wore my 2.5 year old Feral this morning for comparison and despite it's age it's still noticeably warmer than the brand new Matuse :socrazy:

@jkb was it you that was warning me of this?

Oh well, not sure what I'm going to do at this point. May try to sell it if I can get decent money for it. If not, it's wearable.

SBD's venture to more premium suits is not paying off so far,
Air temp schmair temp.
I've been toasty in 2mil Isurus full.
[insert Rowjimmy trademark shrug emoji]

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
2 seasons.

Already got 2 out of my isurus and it's still going strong.
DItto. Have a 4/3 suit I've now owned and used for 2 years (that's about 6 seasons of use) with zero issue. Used it today. LOVE IT. My 3/3 is insane. My 3/2 is the same.

I'm with @tenover , as well. Suit has to last 3 years. Pa**go**a suits didn't last like that, but I used to get them for super bro prices, then Covid hit in 2020 & I didn't get incredible wetsuit prices. Switched to Isurus immediately and have been so happy!

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I'm not sure if you're talking in AUD Mr J, but I'm not buying top of the line boutique Japanese wetsuit brands like Axxe. The last Japanese 4/3 I got was $600 USD. This is a stock sized wetsuit (no custom size) but I did customize certain features that I wanted, like having an secondary neck gasket and narrowing the ankle and wrist cuffs slightly. I'm not sure if prices have gone up (or not) since my last order, but if they have I can't image they would be very drastic. In the end, I'm paying $150/season for my suits.
jkb, actually yes Axxe and talking AUD. Just prior to the time I bought my Buell 5mm (from Santa Cruz off US website) for $500 AUD I was doing a lot of googling for a warm hooded wettie. Xcel drylock 5mm unavailable in my size, ONeill 5mm unavailable in my size including UK's main website surfdome. Isurus available in size S for $1,000 AUD. Axxe it turned out has a dealer in a Melbourne northern suburb. I don't live in Melbourne anymore, but can visit. No Au pricing, but going by their Eu pricing I would be looking at between $1,200 and $1,500 AUD.

The thing to note is that we don't get north american wages. As a guide an engineer in US say earning US$100k could expect to earn AU$100k doing the exact same job in Aus. So me paying AU$1,500 for a wettie is like a US resident paying US$1,500 for a wettie. That's too extravagant! $900 AUD (600 US), yes if it lasted 3 to 4 seasons. Axxe say their rubber suits last 2-3 years and their neoprene suits longer.

There is a company in NZ called seventh wave, who do a custom suit for about $800 AUD - @Maz - any experience of these?

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
@Mr J
To parrot jkb I paid about $500 US for custom Japanese. If you're really interested you could reach out to Ryo @reunionwetsuits they could possibly ship straight to Au. Like Cyber they have a form for measurement that isn't hard to fill out (someone skilled in tailor measuring is preferred) keep things snug in the neck,wrist,and ankle. Assuming you're not far off from big box stock measurements. Suit take a couple months for delivery. The new 2022 Yamamoto rubber is most excellent
Yes, I am really interested and something to consider for replacing my Adelio. I've been following your posts, would I be right in noting that you have been unlucky with Cyber custom measurements, but really happy with Reunion - even bought two? I have a long neck, although this doesn't seem to be an issue for stock measurements in my size - both my Buell hooded and Adelio hooded fit me perfectly with no tight bits or loose bits. I might also consider a 4mm no hood suit - they are useful to me in the warmer seasons (like now - 15.8C sea surface temp, 9C air temp and blowing 30knots).

Last edited:

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
It was me.

It's weird how polarizing Matuse suits are. I find it odd that a good chunk of people seem to be completely fine with their warmth and another good sized chunk feels like they suck.

They do feel nice to the touch though.
I was getting flowed suits from them about eight years ago. I think it was a 54° water day and I was in a 3mm Scipio that was supposed to feel like a 4mm. I was so miserably cold after an hour I wasn't even bummed when the gravy train ended. I was happy to pay money for suits that actually kept me warm. To confirm what jkb said, I had friends that were fine warmth-wise in numerous Matuse offerings.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I was getting flowed suits from them about eight years ago. I think it was a 54° water day and I was in a 3mm Scipio that was supposed to feel like a 4mm. I was so miserably cold after an hour I wasn't even bummed when the gravy train ended. I was happy to pay money for suits that actually kept me warm. To confirm what jkb said, I had friends that were fine warmth-wise in numerous Matuse offerings.
Huh. The only matuse fullsuit I’ve had was a Scipio 3mil and I thought it was the warmest suit I’ve had (along with 3/2 Flashbomb+, when new). I was telling SBD, it’s actually still warm, but it friggin shrunk from a just-right XL to a too-tight L. So I’ve been using it as my backup last two winters to my goldilocks Isurus 3mil Shield. And I am a total wuss with cold so really YMMV
[insert Jimmy shrug here]

unrelated note: been toasty in my 2mil Isurus CZ fullsuit that I’ve been using last couple weeks. I’ll be wearing this well into Dec. I got it used (for a couple months by a team rider) for cheap last year. Love it. Only complaint is the cinch sucks (known issue on these). Will upgrade to my preferred zipperless shield model next summer.
Aside from quality rubber and construction, I am sure one of the biggest factors is the Isurus LT size just fits me like a glove. Hope they don’t change anything!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019
jkb, actually yes Axxe and talking AUD. Just prior to the time I bought my Buell 5mm (from Santa Cruz off US website) for $500 AUD I was doing a lot of googling for a warm hooded wettie. Xcel drylock 5mm unavailable in my size, ONeill 5mm unavailable in my size including UK's main website surfdome. Isurus available in size S for $1,000 AUD. Axxe it turned out has a dealer in a Melbourne northern suburb. I don't live in Melbourne anymore, but can visit. No Au pricing, but going by their Eu pricing I would be looking at between $1,200 and $1,500 AUD.

The thing to note is that we don't get north american wages. As a guide an engineer in US say earning US$100k could expect to earn AU$100k doing the exact same job in Aus. So me paying AU$1,500 for a wettie is like a US resident paying US$1,500 for a wettie. That's too extravagant! $900 AUD (600 US), yes if it lasted 3 to 4 seasons. Axxe say their rubber suits last 2-3 years and their neoprene suits longer.

There is a company in NZ called seventh wave, who do a custom suit for about $800 AUD - @Maz - any experience of these?
I have a seventh wave, the fit is the best fit of any suit I have. Literally like a second skin everywhere. Well built, no leaks after several years, and super flexible. But it’s a 4/3, and is definitely warm for a 4/3, but not really warm enough for me except in the summer. So really I haven’t used it much, so maybe that’s why it’s held up so well. Highly recommend if you don’t need something thicker, shipped to the PNW quickly, and if they made a 6/5, I would buy again immediately. Hooded with some Yamamoto material…#7000 or something. Just excellent otherwise. Easy to do the measurements at home, and great customer service. You won’t be disappointed, just don’t believe the hype that the 4/3 is a true frigid weather winter suit, except in some semi tropical area perhaps.

Reactions: Mr J

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Anyone have a reco for a wetsuit hood?
I think xcel has one of the better designed hoods. They make a couple difference hooded vests that are meant to be worn underneath your suit which I prefer to having just the hood or some type of gasket. There's a version that is a rashguard vest with neoprene hood or 1mm and 2mm neoprene vests + 2mm hood that will add a little extra warmth if you need it and have the space in your suit.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
I got a rip curl f bomb hood. It is pretty warm ,but has no cinch for the face and takes a long time to dry with the fuzzy liner. Was also like $70 bucks ,but do to covid times all that was available. Will go oneil or maybe excell next time

Reactions: cjs2002

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Isurus hood is comfy/warm, although I’m still just not really used to wearing a hood a few times a year. It does come untucked from inside the wetsuit neck tho. I don’t think the flap is any shorter than other brands. Been keeping an eye out for a mutant hood with a longer flap like @jkb suggested, but havent seen any in any local shops so far.

Reactions: jkb