The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
only know one person that had one. had bad seems but they took care of him quickly
DaKine is always good with stuff like that when you need it. Discounts aren't great and if wetsuits are like their soft goods sizing can get funky.

Was going to try but going to get a Vissla from a buddy that works there.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Is psycho1 chest zip no mo?

hyperfreak fire took over the price point, psycho tech not much more.

wtf is the difference between hyperdreak fire and psycho1?

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Considering getting an Isurus Shield 3.3 hooded zipfree. I have the Shield 2.2 ss and I've been pretty happy with it, despite the little cinch doohickey that doesn't seem to do anything.

I think I've read some positive remarks on the suit around here. I was told by a surf shop manager friend, they're sticklers for having a receipt to get any sort of warranty work done. He said they're a nightmare to deal with if you lose your receipt and have a warranty claim, but he said the suits are really good and he's heard very little about claims.

I tried a Feral on and it felt a little nicer than the Isurus (chest zip vs. zipfree), but it fit me too tight in the shoulders/upper chest. I'd be paying around the same price for the Isurus as I would for the Feral.

I've been in a Vissla High Seas 4/3 zipfree the past two seasons. I don't wear booties and hoping the hood will help keep me a little warmer on the relatively cold mornings here in LA's South Bay.

Any other recommendations?

Reactions: sh3

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
The thing I don’t understand re Isurus is the neck seal. The interior of the collar is still just jersey material instead of smoothie rubber for a grippier seal. Every other brand uses rubber there except them. Shoot…even Rip’s low end Dawn Patrol line has a rubber collar. Having said that, even with a team discount at the local shop I haven’t tried one so it could be moot. But I would definitely prefer to have rubber in such a critical place. For now I’m sticking with Reunion and Quality, both custom fit brands from Japan to go along with a Rip E-Bomb for the warmer winter days

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaseTMP
Aug 29, 2019
Have a srface hooded remix 5/4. Feels like an O’Neill psycho tech for size(mt) and feel. Really stretchy, really comfortable. Warmth seems appropriate(less warm than my 6/5’s, of course). Shipping outstanding. 7mm boots are very nice. Cannot comment on durability.

Will buy again when they have a 6/5 available.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
The thing I don’t understand re Isurus is the neck seal. The interior of the collar is still just jersey material instead of smoothie rubber for a grippier seal. Every other brand uses rubber there except them. Shoot…even Rip’s low end Dawn Patrol line has a rubber collar. Having said that, even with a team discount at the local shop I haven’t tried one so it could be moot. But I would definitely prefer to have rubber in such a critical place. For now I’m sticking with Reunion and Quality, both custom fit brands from Japan to go along with a Rip E-Bomb for the warmer winter days
Never noticed that on my 2.2 Shield, so it obviously doesn’t bother me. I actually get splits on the top edge of the smoothie collar on almost every suit I’ve had, so this may be better for me personally. I keep my nails pretty short, so I’m not sure why it happens so frequently.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Considering getting an Isurus Shield 3.3 hooded zipfree. I have the Shield 2.2 ss and I've been pretty happy with it, despite the little cinch doohickey that doesn't seem to do anything.

I think I've read some positive remarks on the suit around here. I was told by a surf shop manager friend, they're sticklers for having a receipt to get any sort of warranty work done. He said they're a nightmare to deal with if you lose your receipt and have a warranty claim, but he said the suits are really good and he's heard very little about claims.

I tried a Feral on and it felt a little nicer than the Isurus (chest zip vs. zipfree), but it fit me too tight in the shoulders/upper chest. I'd be paying around the same price for the Isurus as I would for the Feral.

I've been in a Vissla High Seas 4/3 zipfree the past two seasons. I don't wear booties and hoping the hood will help keep me a little warmer on the relatively cold mornings here in LA's South Bay.

Any other recommendations?
No good feedback to provide other than the 3/3 hooded zipless is by far my favorite full suit ever. it works.