The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
quick question.. I have two pretty significant creases from shipping i'm assumming on my smoothy of a new 3/2 psychotech. will they work themselves out? will they affect the suit warmth wise durability wise? i've had creases on the regular rubber b4 on suits but the smoothy is a different type of rubber of course. i could return it but finding another one will be next to impossible
creases are unsightly but you're not gonna notice a difference in warmth. they may or may not work themselves out over time.

Reactions: live4swell

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I just picked up a Rip Curl flashbomb 3/2 after a few years in Need Essentials suits. While I liked the Need suits, they didn't last long before the dreaded seam leaks started. I thought I would try and get a more expensive off-the-rack suit (without going Japanese custom) and see if it is more durable - it already feels like better quality rubber. I'll report back on this thread in a year or two!

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I was considering grabbing one of Buell's toddler suits for my kid. They were on sale for $60 but I didn't make it out to SC

Mar 2, 2019
Axxe wetsuit review.

Due to covid causing me to be unable to source my normal year old bargain 4mm hooded suit (Oneill or Matuse size L) and flush with relief money, I ordered a "custom" suit from Axxe USA. Eric spent at least 30min with my wife and I taking all sorts of measurements down to the 1/16" twice. He explained that my body type (over 50, broad shoulders, skinny legs and smallish waist was the perfect candidate for a custom suit. I mentioned that O'neill Psychotech fit good around the upper body, but a bit loose around the waist and belly. He explained that Japanese suits are cut slightly fuller so as to not be stressed which would make the suit last longer than the 1 year max I have ever gotten from a US company. I was able to pick a 3mm, smooth skin hood and back, fleece lined torso, and all for only $950! 6-9 weeks later, it showed up...

The materials feel premium, only some of the seems are taped, some have glue that sticks up on the inside just enough to rub again my skin such that there is a constant itch on my shoulder blade while paddling. The custom fit... I tried it on a immediately notified Eric that it was way too big. If you lay a L Oneill on top, there is 2" on either side, so 4" larger in diameter across the chest and waist. I fit a L Ferral, but its a bit snug for my 42" chest, 36 measured waist, 185 lbs. I placed the Axxe on top of an XXL Ferrel and it matched up with the arms and legs, but was an inch smaller in the chest than the axxe made for me! I was instructed to go surf as from a video I took, he said it fit as was designed. Long story short, numerous emails, another video fit session and so on, I was told to F'off (my interpretaion of his words) because the suit delivered to me meets Axxe's specifications for a custom fit. I pleaded to have it altered, or refund the money (which was paid in full prior to ordering with a check or Venmo.) Yes, I am that stupid and gullable.

At 10 uses (kite and surf) the knee seams are opening up where there is no tape, and many other areas are showing neoprene tearing at the stitching, probably from the suit folded on itself while paddling. Axxe has offered to adjust the suit measurements on my next purchase and offer 15% off! F'them (my words.) So I got a suit that has plenty of room for an inflation vest, and should I gain a 50-60 lbs beer belly, will work great. Honestly, I have only felt so ripped off, with so little regard for customer service, and in general, just sh!t upon once before. By an a-hole shaper in Santa Cruz who took my money and made the worst board ever, or just handed me a rejected one made for someone else... When will I learn. Pay with a credit card!
Pics make me look like Arnold, but it's just two inches of extra material folded on itself above the armpits. arnold.jpegbeer gut pouch.jpg

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Time for you to go find Casa and his big mouth about japanese custom no seam tape blah blah blah. That sucks.

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Years back the first Cyber order had an issue with flushing @ the back of the neck and the cuffs.

Steve said no problem - his wife put a neck gasket in that fixed the neck issue.

As for the cuffs - Steve said this has been an issue for some people and others not despite correct measurements. His wife tightened the cuffs up when she placed the gasket.

No issues since. When I order I always order the gasket and the tighter cuffs.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Axxe wetsuit review.

Due to covid causing me to be unable to source my normal year old bargain 4mm hooded suit (Oneill or Matuse size L) and flush with relief money, I ordered a "custom" suit from Axxe USA. Eric spent at least 30min with my wife and I taking all sorts of measurements down to the 1/16" twice. He explained that my body type (over 50, broad shoulders, skinny legs and smallish waist was the perfect candidate for a custom suit. I mentioned that O'neill Psychotech fit good around the upper body, but a bit loose around the waist and belly. He explained that Japanese suits are cut slightly fuller so as to not be stressed which would make the suit last longer than the 1 year max I have ever gotten from a US company. I was able to pick a 3mm, smooth skin hood and back, fleece lined torso, and all for only $950! 6-9 weeks later, it showed up...

The materials feel premium, only some of the seems are taped, some have glue that sticks up on the inside just enough to rub again my skin such that there is a constant itch on my shoulder blade while paddling. The custom fit... I tried it on a immediately notified Eric that it was way too big. If you lay a L Oneill on top, there is 2" on either side, so 4" larger in diameter across the chest and waist. I fit a L Ferral, but its a bit snug for my 42" chest, 36 measured waist, 185 lbs. I placed the Axxe on top of an XXL Ferrel and it matched up with the arms and legs, but was an inch smaller in the chest than the axxe made for me! I was instructed to go surf as from a video I took, he said it fit as was designed. Long story short, numerous emails, another video fit session and so on, I was told to F'off (my interpretaion of his words) because the suit delivered to me meets Axxe's specifications for a custom fit. I pleaded to have it altered, or refund the money (which was paid in full prior to ordering with a check or Venmo.) Yes, I am that stupid and gullable.

At 10 uses (kite and surf) the knee seams are opening up where there is no tape, and many other areas are showing neoprene tearing at the stitching, probably from the suit folded on itself while paddling. Axxe has offered to adjust the suit measurements on my next purchase and offer 15% off! F'them (my words.) So I got a suit that has plenty of room for an inflation vest, and should I gain a 50-60 lbs beer belly, will work great. Honestly, I have only felt so ripped off, with so little regard for customer service, and in general, just sh!t upon once before. By an a-hole shaper in Santa Cruz who took my money and made the worst board ever, or just handed me a rejected one made for someone else... When will I learn. Pay with a credit card!
Pics make me look like Arnold, but it's just two inches of extra material folded on itself above the armpits. View attachment 110622View attachment 110623
That sucks.

No experience with their suits personally, but yeah some of their cuts look, um, intentionally big. See videos/photos below:

http://instagr.am/p/CN3NOTiH6op/ http://instagr.am/p/CNoX1knHdqw/ WTF
http://instagr.am/p/CNP62BjHovT/ http://instagr.am/p/CNFGQCdnkuj/
Does AXXE have two types of cuts? Because some of their suits def do not look like that sort of fit.

Also, it seems like a really bad idea to have someone measure who hasn't been trained to do so.

Last edited:

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
You are so butthurt lol.

Talking about what you've never even tried.

P.S. are those Black Flys?
I'm not butt hurt. I'm happy with my suits and the inside seam tape. All your preaching doesn't seem to hold alot a water. Could be Black Flys. He's from Canada though, not Orange County.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Because both Axxe and Boz use an order form with over 20 different measurements it’s best to be as accurate as possible.

“Don’t go to a tailor to get measured,” suggests (Eric) Koike. “That has happened before and it’s been difficult to work with their measurements. I recommend going to a shop taking Axxe Wetsuit orders and talking to the designated shop employee. That’s the best way to go.”

• How long does it take to be measured for a wetsuit? Usually takes between 30-45 minutes. The shops that carry our wetsuits are familiar with our measuring techniques and would require less time."
Where do I go to get measured for a wetsuit? Shops that carry our wetsuits are ready and willing to measure customers for a custom wetsuit. Please see our DEALER page for more information on the shop locations.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Axxe wetsuit review.

Pics make me look like Arnold, but it's just two inches of extra material folded on itself above the armpits. View attachment 110622View attachment 110623
Sorry for your troubles but no way hell $950 for suit I could yolo a album twin for a little more:socrazy: My new 'bong 4/3 furnace with hood half that price fits great (same as o'neil sizes), warm, flexible, and dries faster then my 3mm hyperfreak comp no inner liner:shaka: