The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I think suits have gotten thinner.

When I lived in San Diego back in the 90s, I never owned a 4/3 and didn't know anyone who did. Now it's pretty common place. I've definitely gotten older but you'd think surfing in much colder water regularly I wouldn't be a cold pus but when I was there in December, I was very happy to have a 4/3.
It depends on what the 4/3 is. I have a Matuse that is all 3 except a tiny panel on the chest and back. The 3/2 is the same. I have a Need Essentials 4/3. It’s mostly 4mm with 3 in the arms. But they are all 4/3.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Don't get me started on Matuse. Their 4/3 was a joke. Fine on a warm sunny day in San Diego, more like a 2 mil on a windy, overcast day in New York in the fall. Same water temp but take away the sun and add some wind and all bets were off.

Mainstream wetsuits got much better from the early 80s through the late 90s. Warmer, stretchier and more durable. Then at some point they got stretchier but not as warm. Even 5 years ago my new Xcels were a step up from the last one they replaced, but that stopped.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I am more concerned about the long term without smoothie. It seems to help keep even worn suits a bit warmer with the wind blockage.
I think the inner liner is more important for warmth then smoothie. I have a 3mm hyperfreak comp (no liner) "805" and when sitting waiting colder and thinking about going wet suit quiver and going with hyperfreak with liner and even 4/3 been cold winter and usually March and April as cold or colder

Reactions: mundus

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Anyone use 4/3 vissila 7 seas and can compare it to hyperfreak? Thinking about pulling trigger but not sure worth saving $$$ long run.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I think the inner liner is more important for warmth then smoothie. I have a 3mm hyperfreak comp (no liner) "805" and when sitting waiting colder and thinking about going wet suit quiver and going with hyperfreak with liner and even 4/3 been cold winter and usually March and April as cold or colder
I agree said it before I have a 5 mill Billabong without smoothie and it is warmer than smoothie suits. All about the liner these days.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
bros, you're gonna get casa all riled up again on how essential smoothie is for our chilly SoCal 55F waters. He's gonna pull out his charts and reams of data. LOL #itsscience Just teasing. Everyone's tolerance is different.
Last week, I wore my 3 years old, barely used 4/3 Vissla with smoothskin chest/back/shoulders. Of course I first had to glue about 10(!) tears in the smoothie around the chest zip and shoulders. It's ridiculous. I do not have coke nails. I do not understand how you can take off a skin-tight rubber suit without pulling the materials with your fingers. I dunno. Maybe I need to put on mittens first. If I ever get another suit with smoothie, it will be only on the chest/back- not around the chest entry.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I’m onboard with less panels = stronger and more flexible suit. They always tear at the seams in the chest getting in and out.

in that regard I can see how zipper-less or back zip could be superior.

Reactions: oeste858

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
I just got a new Hyperfreak 3/2 with full lining and man-oh-man is it a nice suit. Only surfed a couple sessions in it so far and it's been super warm but what's really blown my mind is how flexible it is. Night and day compared to my old Rip Curl. This Hyperfreak doesn't have smooth skin on either side, so I'm curious to see how it does on a cold, overcast, windy morning. As of now, I've surfed it in cold water but with sunny, not too windy/breezy conditions.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
bros, you're gonna get casa all riled up again on how essential smoothie is for our chilly SoCal 55F waters. He's gonna pull out his charts and reams of data. LOL #itsscience Just teasing. Everyone's tolerance is different.
Last week, I wore my 3 years old, barely used 4/3 Vissla with smoothskin chest/back/shoulders. Of course I first had to glue about 10(!) tears in the smoothie around the chest zip and shoulders. It's ridiculous. I do not have coke nails. I do not understand how you can take off a skin-tight rubber suit without pulling the materials with your fingers. I dunno. Maybe I need to put on mittens first. If I ever get another suit with smoothie, it will be only on the chest/back- not around the chest entry.
Vissla had terrible luck with that material and pretty much stopped making those suits. I love Vissla suits in general though.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I just got a new Hyperfreak 3/2 with full lining and man-oh-man is it a nice suit. Only surfed a couple sessions in it so far and it's been super warm but what's really blown my mind is how flexible it is. Night and day compared to my old Rip Curl. This Hyperfreak doesn't have smooth skin on either side, so I'm curious to see how it does on a cold, overcast, windy morning. As of now, I've surfed it in cold water but with sunny, not too windy/breezy conditions.
My 3mm comp hyperfreak feels decent in 12mph winds but longer waits gets my upper body cold.

Reactions: ZZ Soft Top

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Vissla had terrible luck with that material and pretty much stopped making those suits. I love Vissla suits in general though.
yeah it just seems like a poor design decision in where they used it. I had a 3/2 7Seas that was perfect good value for the $200 price. I just bought my nephew one for xmas too.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
yeah it just seems like a poor design decision in where they used it. I had a 3/2 7Seas that was perfect good value for the $200 price. I just bought my nephew one for xmas too.
That's the beauty of Vissla suits. They're cheap enough you can replace them every year if you want. Mine have typically lasted about 2 seasons.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
i really want to find something better than the Hyperfreak. but i just cant. so comfy but takes forever to dry.
The comp drys fast but of course same liner keeps you warm also slows down dry time:) I love my hyperfreak and pretty sure going with another with liner this time.

Mar 1, 2010
eyeing up this one for my new 3/2 but will probably go with the psycho tech.. need that smoothy.. i get cold easily. expensive though for a 3/2 wow

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I've been wearing my 3/2 psychotech for sunny or overcast but low wind afternoon sessions with the water in the high fifties very comfortably. In the mornings I need the mental reassurance of thicker suit most of the time. I haven't had a hyperfreak so I can't compare. The flexibility is incredible though.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
5'8" 170# size MS 'Bong Furnace 4/3 hood front zip plenty warm and comfortable plus super flexible for thickness of rubber and liner. The zipper gasket works nice and seals good with out having to over cinch strap. Funny how some zip right (Bong, pataguchi) others go left (O'neill, BG) I prefer left easier but you get used to it. The hood is comfortable and no eye drips after duck diving. Another nice thing is suit dries fast and was almost completely dry next morning besides a little damp in wrists and ankles. Next only time well tell if it last but I baby my suits: fresh water clean inside/out hand dry in shade plus only plan on using for 4 months at most but normal Winter more like 2 months.

Last edited: