The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Oneill fit is so $

Really wish I could get one in Yam. Feeling like a convert after spending the winter in my Matuse, but I don't really want to go through the hassle of getting a custom fit when O'Neill fits so perfectly off the shelf.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Yes, liquid welds of the past used to crack, then pinch.
And I worry about the lack of liner as well.
idk
idk
Fwiw, I will not go back to O’Neil for suits. I’ll go with feral, Colby+ or Isurus (if on sale) for the foreseeable.

O’Neil has just gotten that bad. Sizing on my hyperfreak fire+ is WTF after 20yrs of always wearing O’Neil medium tall.

Apr 17, 2024
from far yet near
Fwiw, I will not go back to O’Neil for suits. I’ll go with feral, Colby+ or Isurus (if on sale) for the foreseeable.

O’Neil has just gotten that bad. Sizing on my hyperfreak fire+ is WTF after 20yrs of always wearing O’Neil medium tall.
Curious what changed in the fit for you :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
I Am MS and seems to be the same going from comp hyperfreak to fire hyperfreak a least 4 years apart now.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I've only had Feral and Isurus yammy suits.

Compared to O'neill Hyperfreak that I had years back, yammy rubber isn't as ultimately stretchy - but it's lighter, dries faster, and retains its "rebound" longer. Just as warm if not a little warmer in my experience, no liner needed.

Never tried a Matuse or Colby+.

Isurus is a bit too pricey IMO even though the suits are great. Feral is a happy medium for me.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Curious what changed in the fit for you :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
I Am MS and seems to be the same going from comp hyperfreak to fire hyperfreak a least 4 years apart now.
Shoulder width is very tight on my 4/3 hyperfreak fire+ to the point I only wear it when I’ll need the extra warmth. Way more effort to paddle than it should be.

Never had an issue with the many psycho1 suits I had over the years prior.

Reactions: terdroamer

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Wore my Isurus 5/4 this morning because the water is freezing and it's my least used suit. Forgot how stiff and hard to get into/out of this suit is. It is warm but not crazy warm and definitely not worth the flexibility penalty. Not to mention the cinch cord doesn't stay snug so it flushes through the chest zip area.

My buddy is happy with his Colby+ but it's still pretty new. The lack of fuzzy liner has me skeptical.

I feel lost since Oneill tightened up the cut on their hoods. One of the few brands that is long enough in the limbs with enough room in the shoulders without being giant through the midsection.

• Sad
Reactions: oeste858 and jkb
Aug 9, 2015
For those who want an affordable yammy suit with a fuzzy liner srface over in Europe seems to be the option. I did not go that route as I needed a new summer 4/3 hooded suit and they only make hooded 5/4's. Everything below that is sans hood.

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
So I came across a brand new 2024 R2 Patagonia wetsuit on gumtree for $100...maybe stolen, not sure, don't care. Grabbed it. Now the water is still really warm here in oz, but I wanted to try the suit. First thing I noticed was how big it is for a size small. This thing is really long (maybe I've shrunk) and bags up around my stomach and while the yulex feels soft and flexible, the neck flushing is insane. I don't even get that on some suits I've had for over five years. I wonder when they'll get it right?

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr and Havoc

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
So I came across a brand new 2024 R2 Patagonia wetsuit on gumtree for $100...maybe stolen, not sure, don't care. Grabbed it. Now the water is still really warm here in oz, but I wanted to try the suit. First thing I noticed was how big it is for a size small. This thing is really long (maybe I've shrunk) and bags up around my stomach and while the yulex feels soft and flexible, the neck flushing is insane. I don't even get that on some suits I've had for over five years. I wonder when they'll get it right?
I fell for a Gucci suit sale years back. never again. I can’t even loan it to buddies, one of my friends commented “I never truly knew what neck flushing was until I borrowed that suit”

• Haha
Reactions: Bman76

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Anyone tried one?

Looking for a new 4/3. Yammy would be nice but for those temps want a liner.

For those who want an affordable yammy suit with a fuzzy liner srface over in Europe seems to be the option. I did not go that route as I needed a new summer 4/3 hooded suit and they only make hooded 5/4's. Everything below that is sans hood.