The Game Changers on Netflix

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
mind opening documentary on diet, athletics land overall health that is a game changer on how we think about protein sources. If into fitness and long term health, it is worth every minute of your time.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
This documentary has been thoroughly debunked. A quick google search will bring up a ton of rebuttals. Layne Nortons response is the most thorough and he breaks down every frame of that propaganda piece. A lot of the athletes featured in it are no longer vegans, or never were, which is why they carefully used the moniker “ plant based”.

James Cameron funded it and is an investor in a vegan food company. Him and his wife are zealots who think we all need to stop eating meat to save the world but have numerous huge homes all over the world, just like every hypocritical piece of sanctimonious Hollywood garbage.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Layne is pretty smart.

The general rule is limit processed food.

A lot of the plant "meat" is highly processed.

Humans are highly adaptable.'

I had a steak, a half a sweet potato and and a half a avacodo last night.

My point?

I'm great.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
mind opening documentary on diet, athletics land overall health that is a game changer on how we think about protein sources. If into fitness and long term health, it is worth every minute of your time.
My health and fitness have never been better since I started eating grass fed organic beef daily.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
We have three grass fed, free range cattle farms in Shenandoah County (80 acres a piece, nothing crazy) and I always get a quarter cut from my uncle each fall...I agree it's the best. The stockade, corn fed beef farmers up the street are disgusting. and wash all their sh!t into the river. Don't get me started on chicken farming :toilet:

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
This documentary has been thoroughly debunked. A quick google search will bring up a ton of rebuttals. Layne Nortons response is the most thorough and he breaks down every frame of that propaganda piece. A lot of the athletes featured in it are no longer vegans, or never were, which is why they carefully used the moniker “ plant based”.
Blood panels are the diagnostic that reveals our current physical condition and predicts our future condition, as adults age none are more critical to health than chloresterol, and there are endless well established studies that directly link high cholesterol with dairy and animal protein.
I'm in my 70's, 6'2 x 185# which is what I weighed at 21, surf, swim laps, bike and lift most days of the week, don't drink alcohol, and still I have watched my LDL slowly climb over the years. When I changed my diet, eliminating the salmon, organic chicken and beef I used to regularly eat and replaced it with plant proteins, my LDL dropped back to what it was 30 years ago. Another positive has been the marked reduction in chronic overall body inflammation from the injuries incurred during decades of surfing, snowboarding, mtn biking, etc.
As it is, have a son who is a hella athlete/surfer who thrives on organic chicken and beef, and a daughter who consistently places high in her age group triathalon races who has been a vegetarian since a teenager.
We all just need to do what works for us respectively.
The one thing none of us need to introduce into our bodies is hate.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Blood panels are the diagnostic that reveals our current physical condition and predicts our future condition, as adults age none are more critical to health than chloresterol, and there are endless well established studies that directly link high cholesterol with dairy and animal protein.
The number 1 way to drop cholesterol is to shed excess body fat. Most of your cholesterol number is tied to the amount of body fat you walk around with. If you are relatively lean then you likely have nothing to worry about. Some people are also born with a high baseline cholesterol, even if lean. Most of the studies you are referring to are associative in the sense that most fat fucks probably eat McDonald’s and have other unhealthy habits.

Studies that separate for lifestyle factors show minimal differences between those who eat Meat and those who don’t. There is a also a growing body of research showing how wrong we’ve gotten cholesterol over the last several decades.

I'm in my 70's, 6'2 x 185# which is what I weighed at 21, surf, swim laps, bike and lift most days of the week, don't drink alcohol, and still I have watched my LDL slowly climb over the years. When I changed my diet, eliminating the salmon, organic chicken and beef I used to regularly eat and replaced it with plant proteins, my LDL dropped back to what it was 30 years ago. Another positive has been the marked reduction in chronic overall body inflammation from the injuries incurred during decades of surfing, snowboarding, mtn biking, etc.
Great. That’s what we call an anecdote.

As it is, have a son who is a hella athlete/surfer who thrives on organic chicken and beef, and a daughter who consistently places high in her age group triathalon races who has been a vegetarian since a teenager.
We all just need to do what works for us respectively.
Agreed.

The one thing none of us need to introduce into our bodies is hate.
Also, agreed. The vegan propagandists are the worst offenders at this.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
The number 1 way to drop cholesterol is to shed excess body fat. Most of your cholesterol number is tied to the amount of body fat you walk around with. If you are relatively lean then you likely have nothing to worry about. Some people are also born with a high baseline cholesterol, even if lean. Most of the studies you are referring to are associative in the sense that most fat fucks probably eat McDonald’s and have other unhealthy habits.

Studies that separate for lifestyle factors show minimal differences between those who eat Meat and those who don’t. There is a also a growing body of research showing how wrong we’ve gotten cholesterol over the last several decades.

Great. That’s what we call an anecdote.

Agreed.

Also, agreed. The vegan propagandists are the worst offenders at this.
Is there a doctor that can comment on this?
I know a lot of people who are nowhere near overweight and have high cholesterol

Reactions: mundus

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
I've got to stop using bacon lard with my eggs in the cast iron, but man it tastes so good

Reactions: averagejoe

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Is there a doctor that can comment on this?
I know a lot of people who are nowhere near overweight and have high cholesterol

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
I’m not espousing anything here, but when my wife and I went vegetarian in 2018 for 80% of our meals and had cheat days, we both dropped a lot of weight we had put on after having a baby.

What struck me most was the way I felt when I ate better. Higher energy levels, alertness, and focus were noticeable.

We fell off the wagon during Covid and honestly are just getting back to it, without being vegetarian. It is noticeably harder to lose weight than when we cut out meat for a long time.

this is also anecdotal, of course.

The main thing is not eating processed foods and eating healthy snacks consistently. A doctor once said to me that once your food passes your tongue, it is just chemicals to your body. Kinda like using cheap oil and gas in your car, runs great for a while but could perform better on better quality fuel…

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
Over the past two decades have watched buddies from our gromhood surf posse steadily drop out of surfing as their diet/weight/alcohol intake began catching up with them, and have sadly lost a half dozen good friends to the health related diseases that start picking off the susceptible in their 60' and 70's. Want to be here for the long haul, never too early to do the right things.
As to hating me? If you actually knew me, you really would. :)

• Haha

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Over the past two decades have watched buddies from our gromhood surf posse steadily drop out of surfing as their diet/weight/alcohol intake began catching up with them, and have sadly lost a half dozen good friends to the health related diseases that start picking off the susceptible in their 60' and 70's. Want to be here for the long haul, never too early to do the right things.
Which speaks to my original point . . . It’s never the animal based protein in isolation, it’s the entourage effect of numerous lifestyle factors. There is nothing inherently unhealthy about animal based protein. Nobody gets fat from eating beef in isolation- it’s the French fries, potsto chips, milk shakes beer etc that really adds the calories.If you are really worried about the cholesterol you can always opt for fat free dairy, chicken breast, London broil, pork tenderloin, fish etc. If anything, animal based proteins are better for weight control and maintaining muscle mass for athletic purposes because you get a more bioavailable form of protein, and you can get less calories per gram of protein than what you get from other plant based protein sources.

As for the land use and sustainability side of things, there is no free lunch with that either. Proteins and fats will always require more water and fertilizer inputs, whether they are plant or animal based. Almonds, pistachios and other nuts require insane amounts of water and fertilizer inputs. Most soy for tofu comes from clear cut farms in Brazil or India. Most of the artificial and faux meat products are highly processed. Whereas hoofed animals like cows, goats, sheep etc can graze on land that is too steep, rough and/or dry for plant agriculture or housing and can turn that scrub into edible protein and milk, along with creating manure that actually adds carbon back into the system and creates fertilizer for plant based agriculture.

Which is why propaganda like the film you mentioned is absolute garbage and deserves to be called out for the horseshit that it is.