*** Official Fin Thread ***

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
What was the last board you clicked with well & what was the fin setup on it?
MR/Mayhem Cali Twin .... running Al Merrick Keels ... 3 or 4 days ago board/setup just f*cking rips - i love it. More relative to this post i have been experimenting with fins on a new Ghost for a few months .... have found a thruster set (Machado's) that seem to click but not a big thruster fan ... been surfing twins for a couple years now and going back to a thruster setup just feels slow to me. The Roberts quad set worked ok in small waves but not enough drive for pumping conditions .... I just compared the Future Shaper5 quad rears i just picked up yesterday with the Roberts rears ... definite difference in foil ... the new set is definitely flat foiled .... is it recommended that the fronts be flat foiled as well??

Reactions: trifish

nickpheous

Michael Peterson status
Apr 8, 2008
Huntington Beach
MR/Mayhem Cali Twin .... running Al Merrick Keels ... 3 or 4 days ago board/setup just f*cking rips - i love it. More relative to this post i have been experimenting with fins on a new Ghost for a few months .... have found a thruster set (Machado's) that seem to click but not a big thruster fan ... been surfing twins for a couple years now and going back to a thruster setup just feels slow to me. The Roberts quad set worked ok in small waves but not enough drive for pumping conditions .... I just compared the Future Shaper5 quad rears i just picked up yesterday with the Roberts rears ... definite difference in foil ... the new set is definitely flat foiled .... is it recommended that the fronts be flat foiled as well??
I run Roberts L (Generation series / it has inside foil) with flat foil rears and I love that combo.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Keel fish are known for being drivey, especially if you have a wave with some runway. They are some of my favorite boards to surf because of the drive and feel they have. I only ride quads in small surf where I need to generate speed. For me, they work great in those scenarios. I'm much more consistent on thrusters so I go that way instead of quads usually on better days. But just thinking if you have something your already clicking with so well, I'd stay that course. Ghost is a very good board for critical waves, but it isn't for everybody. Its possible some sort of step up fish could just be a better fit for you and feel more natural coming off your cali twin.

In terms of how I choose my quads though, I usually start with my favorite thruster fronts in my favorite construction to get some sort of familiar feel. I have a couple of rear quads in the same overall size but with different templates that I'll bring out and swap during a session to help sort the rear. Futures legacy series is nice for testing because you can get the same fin in different sizes and different styles (raked, neutral, pivot).

Reactions: flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Keel fish are known for being drivey, especially if you have a wave with some runway. They are some of my favorite boards to surf because of the drive and feel they have. I only ride quads in small surf where I need to generate speed. For me, they work great in those scenarios. I'm much more consistent on thrusters so I go that way instead of quads usually on better days. But just thinking if you have something your already clicking with so well, I'd stay that course. Ghost is a very good board for critical waves, but it isn't for everybody. Its possible some sort of step up fish could just be a better fit for you and feel more natural coming off your cali twin.

In terms of how I choose my quads though, I usually start with my favorite thruster fronts in my favorite construction to get some sort of familiar feel. I have a couple of rear quads in the same overall size but with different templates that I'll bring out and swap during a session to help sort the rear. Futures legacy series is nice for testing because you can get the same fin in different sizes and different styles (raked, neutral, pivot).
Thx for the feedback .... great advice .... i picked up the Ghost at the beginning of our off season .... so in all fairness ... i haven't had a chance to really see how it goes in good waves ... season is just getting underway now. My plan for this season ... a two board quiver ... the Cali Twin as my DD .... and the Ghost for when it is more critical. It could be once i get it in something over head high .... the fin setup will sort itself out. Experimenting .... has been interesting .... seeing how fins work differently ... with different boards, conditions, etc. .... it's been an education ... so I'm not complaining ..... I actually created a spreadsheet .... with the setups i've tried ... conditions and comments on how it felt ..... it's been a good reference looking back as to how it felt ... what i liked and didn't like. But i think its good to hear how others sort their way through it as well.

Reactions: trifish

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yea vote on flat/inside foiled everything if the problem is drive and there are convex fins in the mix.

Reactions: flyinraptr