The evolution of the surfboard (I need help)

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Brainstrust, misfits and weirdos of the ERBB, I need your help.

Some years ago, I bought a bunch of mini shaped surfboards from a shaper that was down on his luck to help the dude out (he didn;t even laminate the top side of the board to save money), and I decided to create a wall art piece out of it. I asked him to label the details each board for me so that I can display them in a case with the intention to showcase the broad evolution of surfboards through the years.

It was an incomplete project, and it was never really finished off as intended (because I'm a lazy dickhead).
It was supposed to have the board details nicely inscribed on a plaque beneath it after he gave me the details, however, I realised after I put them all in the order he told me to, that all the naming, dates and details were off (both the names of the boards and the years they were associated with),

Being the lazy-arse I am, I gave up on trying to make it nice, I put a glass cover on the box and just left it like this;

2015-12-28__16-12-30.JPG

Since then I upped my life and moved to Australia and I had to dismantle the case, because wood makes Aussies sad.
I now have the opportunity to do it right as I have a mate with a fancy peewpeew lazerthing, and I'm finally pulling my finger out my arse and getting her restored and put back / completing the original vision.

This is where I need your help.

Would you please help me order them correctly from left to right, far left being the oldest, far right being the newest.
Name each board, list the year that the board was made famous, or have historically been associated with.

For example: Mark Richards Twin Fin, 1977 (...and yes, I realise he shouldn't have a third fin in there :/ )

Here's the labels, sorry for the potatoe phone pic quality;
0d6ed6e4-f02c-4d97-a5e2-8b55d96f6a6e.jpg
e2402d83-5683-4657-adf1-59e4fd0490a0.jpg
2e56f629-b403-49c2-b8dc-6ae0fb8a7d72.jpg

Last edited:

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
So something along the lines of L --> R. Does this look right?

* Ancient - early 1900's, Alaia
* 1947, Simmons Spoon
* 1955, Velzy Pig
* 1960, Early Foam
* 1967, Brewer
* 1967, Lis Fish
* 1977, Mark Richards Twin
* 1981, Simon Anderson Thruster
* 1990, Performance Thruster

Last edited:

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Holy sh!t. I saw that exact same box art display at a surf shop in Jeffrey’s Bay and was so tempted to pull the trigger but it was $300US or something like that. Plus carting it around on the trip.

Stocked you posted those photos. I think I took a pic of it, I’ll see if I can find it this week. You’ll be able to print out the CI descrip.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Holy sh!t. I saw that exact same box art display at a surf shop in Jeffrey’s Bay and was so tempted to pull the trigger but it was $300US or something like that. Plus carting it around on the trip.

Stocked you posted those photos. I think I took a pic of it, I’ll see if I can find it this week. You’ll be able to print out the CI descrip.
HA, it's the same shop I saw it in, in the corner there by the surfshop / factory outlet cluster :)
I bought those boards off the shaper, who lived in a little room just up the road there. I also ended up giving him a Firewire (the very first ones that came out that had the plug in the middle), though I can't quite remember why I felt I wanted to at the time :p

Reactions: SlicedFeet

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Put the foamies on the end because that's the only thing any of us will be riding thanks to all the beginners graduating from their Wavestorms and tying-up the glassers forever.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc