The Elephant (dung) in the Room

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
Quite often the answer is stupendously obvious, thus the elephant reference.

Unfortunately orthodox "progressives" (leftists in general really) are unconcerned with results, intentions are the only bottom line. If reality doesn't match intention? Invent a new reality by changing the past.

See: 1619 Project

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Quite often the answer is stupendously obvious, thus the elephant reference.

Unfortunately orthodox "progressives" (leftists in general really) are unconcerned with results, intentions are the only bottom line. If reality doesn't match intention? Invent a new reality by changing the past.

See: 1619 Project
1597606367887.jpeg

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Anybody have any actual solutions, lets hear em?

I think it starts with political will and attitudes of the citizens in each city. I think you'd need to combine the enforcement of some minimum standards along with care for those that are not able to take care of themselves. Right now I'm having a hard time finding any minimum standards the city is enforcing.

Some minimum standards might be: you can't defecate on the streets, you can't pitch a tent wherever you want, you aren't allowed to create a trash explosion surrounding whatever area you are in, you don't get to set up camp on Caltrans or other properties in close proximity to or on Freeways and major streets where the speed limit is over something like 35 miles per hour. If you are clearly mentally ill and are a danger to yourself or others you don't get discharged back onto the streets to fend for yourself.

Streamline the existing services so that homeless people need to enter some sort of commitment to improving their situation in return for receiving city services and funding. Right now roughly 2/3 of the homeless in SF are on the streets as opposed to shelters. I think if the city offered services on the one hand, but also made it clear that there are minimum standards everyone must meet, then the dynamic would change.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I think it starts with political will and attitudes of the citizens in each city. I think you'd need to combine the enforcement of some minimum standards along with care for those that are not able to take care of themselves. Right now I'm having a hard time finding any minimum standards the city is enforcing.

Some minimum standards might be: you can't defecate on the streets, you can't pitch a tent wherever you want, you aren't allowed to create a trash explosion surrounding whatever area you are in, you don't get to set up camp on Caltrans or other properties in close proximity to or on Freeways and major streets where the speed limit is over something like 35 miles per hour. If you are clearly mentally ill and are a danger to yourself or others you don't get discharged back onto the streets to fend for yourself.

Streamline the existing services so that homeless people need to enter some sort of commitment to improving their situation in return for receiving city services and funding. Right now roughly 2/3 of the homeless in SF are on the streets as opposed to shelters. I think if the city offered services on the one hand, but also made it clear that there are minimum standards everyone Not bad, like you said this will take both political will and funding neither seem to be possible this moment.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Here's a giant oversimplification:

Divide the homeless into 3 categories: Otherwise solid citizens who are temporarily down and out (the majority of homeless, actually), those who are down and out due to mental illness and/or substance abuse issues, and the lifestyle homeless.

The first category is largely invisible - they often take advantage of the many social services available to them to get temporary housing, obtain employment, eat, and generally put their lives back together. They might live in their cars, couch surf, or camp up in the hills maybe. Sometimes they slip into the second category, but most of the time they are back on their feet, housed, and employed in a few months. The system is by and large working for these people.

The second category are the highly visible, big, intractable problem homeless. No one knows what to do, and the problem gets bigger every day. The system is abolutely NOT working for these people, and is not likely to for the foreseeable future.

The third category could be the family in a camper with the sign on it saying "Coming soon to a neighborhood near you" or trustafarians who ride the rails from town to town, sitting on downtown sidewalks in groups and panhandling heavily. There's not much the system can do to help these people since they really don't need help, although the obnoxious street panhandlers could definitely use a swift kick in the ass.

Reactions: kidfury

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
Sounds like a job for a former strict district attorney. Under Biden/Harris this problem will finally be addressed.

ha ha ha ha. Wow. The stupidity of your post is overwhelming. This is a state and local issue.

It baffles me how clueless most Americans are about how our political institutions work, and the relationship between local , state and federal governments.

Dec 3, 2020
Wow, this is a really cool post because it was interesting. It's also visually very appealing, beautifully designed. I think this is a must read and study for absolutely anyone who has been interested in marijuana or cannabis extract based oils at least once in their life. I've been using cannabis in the form of oils, body lotion, and so on for several years now, but I never miss the best dried shroom in the evening. It's usually relaxing and I feel full of energy the next morning. It is the right quality mushrooms which can heal the body, and if you know what kind of mushrooms you can use in different situations in life, it will always be good for you

Last edited: