Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
News bulletin via email:

The Eddie Big Wave Invitational Announces 2019 Surfers
Opening Ceremony Set for December 5, 2019
Honolulu, HI
– The Eddie Aikau Foundation presents the 2019 The Eddie Aikau Big Wave Invitational with an all-star line-up and new format.

For the 34th annual event, 32 Invitees and 18 Alternates will be invited including nine females. For the first time ever, seven legends will take the Bay in the first heat of the day and be eligible for the Hawaiian Airlines Best Wave of the Day and 250,000 HawaiianMiles.

“The Eddie Aikau Foundation is excited to have the support of our generous sponsors who have joined us in celebrating and honoring the life and legacy of our brother, Eddie,” said Solomon Aikau. “This year we honor not only the equality of women in the sport, but some of the longtime surfers in the industry.”

During the three-month holding period from December 1, 2019 through February 29, 2020, if waves reach heights of 20-feet (Hawaiian style), The Eddie will go for these big wave riders.

Mahalo to the sponsors of this year’s The Eddie Aikau Big Wave Invitational: Hawaiian Airlines, Kona Brewing Company, L&L Hawaiian Barbeque, Turtle Bay Resort and Waimea Valley for bringing the most prestigious surfing competition and opening ceremony for the community and world to witness.

The opening ceremony to kick-off of the waiting period will be held on Thursday, December 5th featuring a traditional Hawaiian blessing, informational booths, entertainment, and an opportunity for Hawai‘i’s keiki to visit with their schools.

When The Eddie last ran in 2016, it undeniably became the biggest event in competitive surfing. Over 1.2 million fans watched the live stream from over 200 countries around the world – making it the biggest event in the history of surfing.

Invitees
Aaron Gold
Andrea Moller
Ben Wilkinson
Billy Kemper
Bruce Irons
Danilo Couto
Dave Wassel
Eli Olson
Emi Erickson
Grant Baker
Greg Long
Ian Walsh
Jamie O’Brien
Jamie Mitchell
John John Florence
Kai Lenny
Keala Kennelly
Keali‘i Mamala
Kelly Slater
Koa Rothman
Landon McNamara
Lucas Chianca
Luke Shepardson
Makuakai Rothman
Mark Healey
Mason Ho
Nathan Florence
Nathan Fletcher
Paige Alms
Ross Clarke-Jones
Shane Dorian
Tikanui Smith
Male Alternates
  1. Tyler Larronde
  2. Kyle Shipman
  3. Kohl Christensen
  4. Chris Bertish
  5. Chris Owens
  6. Mike Pietsch
  7. Torrey Meister
  8. Alex Martins
  9. Ryan Seelbach
  10. Matt Bromley
  11. Reef McIntosh
  12. Ezekiel Lau
  13. Jamie Sterling

Female Alternates
  1. Bianca Valenti
  2. Raquel Heckert
  3. Justine Dupont
  4. Silvia Nabuco
  5. Laura Enever

Legends
  1. Derek Ho
  2. Garrett McNamara
  3. Jeff Clark
  4. Mike Ho
  5. Mike Parsons
  6. Peter Mel
  7. Tom Carroll

About The Eddie Aikau Foundation
The Eddie Aikau Foundation is a charitable organization created to share Eddie Aikau's life, contributions and accomplishments while promoting education and the advancement of Hawaiian culture. Founded by the Aikau family, the Foundation pays tribute to Edward Ryon Makuahanai Aikau in honor of his love for his family and others, his courage and compassion in saving lives, and his dedication to Hawaiian people and culture. Eddie's legacy is a pure symbol of the Aloha Spirit.

The Foundation's ambitious goals are realized through advocacy, education and philanthropy. These goals include advancing education and community service; supporting ocean-related activities and events; assisting in the preservation and perpetuation of Hawaiian history and culture; and encouraging Hawaiians and visitors alike to respect and contribute to the growth and development of Hawaiian culture. The Foundation strives to inspire people to develop a strong sense of pride in themselves, their heritage and their community through Eddie's remarkable spirit and character. For more information, visit www.eddieaikaufoundation.org.

###

Media Contact:
DTL Hawai‘i
info@theeddieaikau.com
(808) 593-3048

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
what happen to Ramon Navarro? he's had great performances in prior contests

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I know a few of the people involved after Quik got bounced and they wanted to put more focus on locals for the invite list.

Redeyes

OTF status
Jan 16, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
Surprised Bruce got invited back. I remember him ghosting the opening ceremony last year. What ever happened to that DUI arrest he got last year?

Oct 29, 2012
I surfed or watched Waimea several times already this year and each time a standout was two time Duke winner James Jones. He takes off deep and doesn't just drop to the bottom and angle, he turns half way down the face and seems to still go for the curl every chance he gets. He's in his mid to late 60s, so he doesn't fit the surf industry demographic, so that's a mark against him.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Surprised Bruce got invited back. I remember him ghosting the opening ceremony last year. What ever happened to that DUI arrest he got last year?
Bruce won the Eddie one year so he's in. Clyde bowing out at almost 70 y/o on the gnarliest Eddie ever, and after doing like 3 flips down the face and shredding his shoulder and continuing to surf the conest was all time. I'd love to see Mason Ho, Erickson or Kemper win it.

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
He was sponsored by Quik at the time. And Quik sponsored the contest.
That would be a pretty petty reason to drop Ramon. More likely it's the feud he has with Makua.
Derek Ho and Mike Parsons as legends? How about some past winners like Keone and Noah or some Waimea legends like
Doerner, Kinimaka or Bradshaw. Noah, Titus and Ken were all Quik riders so maybe that is the reason they were all dropped.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
That would be a pretty petty reason to drop Ramon. More likely it's the feud he has with Makua.
Derek Ho and Mike Parsons as legends? How about some past winners like Keone and Noah or some Waimea legends like
Doerner, Kinimaka or Bradshaw. Noah, Titus and Ken were all Quik riders so maybe that is the reason they were all dropped.
What feud?

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
All I heard was that Makua doesn't like Ramon. I didn't ask why but my guess is that it's about cloudbreak. Ramon made his giant wave and Makua ate it. Makua said something to the effect that at least I wss in the barrel.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
All I heard was that Makua doesn't like Ramon. I didn't ask why but my guess is that it's about cloudbreak. Ramon made his giant wave and Makua ate it. Makua said something to the effect that at least I wss in the barrel.
Well that seems like a really rational reason.