The Dems blew it

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
The Dems blew it. They allowed their passions and their seething hatred of Trump to drive the bus and they pulled the impeachment trigger totally prematurely. The cooler heads in their party did not prevail and they really rushed things. Had they slowed things down and meticulously built a case around something that the independent public could get behind, or maybe even not impeached him at all, they would be in a much better position now. Currently they are not scoring too many points with independent voters in Michigan or Pennsylvania or Ohio. The whole impeachment thing has changed exactly zero minds.

They wanted so badly to get a smoking gun on Trump that when the whistleblower thing came out they creamed in their pants and thought they had it. Blinded by their passions, they forgot that there is nothing that will convince the 40% of America who love Trump to change their minds, just like there is nothing that will convince the 40% of America who seethe with disgust at him to change theirs. Furthermore, they were extremely naive in thinking that Repub Senators who are terrified of being primaried would ever vote to convict, even if deep down those same Senators know Trump has to go.

Had they just kept investigating, subpoena-ing, digging, and letting Trump hang himself by sooner or later doing something much dumber than extorting a political favor from Ukraine, they’d probably have done more damage to Cheeto in the upcoming election that a failed impeachment bid would ever do. They could have hammered the guy every single day for the whole year; instead we have this ridiculous kangaroo court currently going on in the Senate that will be over next week with its pre-ordained conclusion, and Trump will take a humongous victory lap.

Never underestimate the Dems' ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The only way they could make matters worse is if the nominate somebody un-electable like Liz. If Trump gets re-elected I will never forgive them.

Reactions: grapedrink

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
I disagree.
There is just about no way PresidentRump would ever be removed. It's now coming out the Mitch, Pence and Nunez and one other weasel who's name escapes me, were all involved in the Ukraine investigation drug deal.

A bloodbath is coming in November.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
The Dems blew it. They allowed their passions and their seething hatred of Trump to drive the bus and they pulled the impeachment trigger totally prematurely. The cooler heads in their party did not prevail and they really rushed things. Had they slowed things down and meticulously built a case around something that the independent public could get behind, or maybe even not impeached him at all, they would be in a much better position now. Currently they are not scoring too many points with independent voters in Michigan or Pennsylvania or Ohio. The whole impeachment thing has changed exactly zero minds.

They wanted so badly to get a smoking gun on Trump that when the whistleblower thing came out they creamed in their pants and thought they had it. Blinded by their passions, they forgot that there is nothing that will convince the 40% of America who love Trump to change their minds, just like there is nothing that will convince the 40% of America who seethe with disgust at him to change theirs. Furthermore, they were extremely naive in thinking that Repub Senators who are terrified of being primaried would ever vote to convict, even if deep down those same Senators know Trump has to go.

Had they just kept investigating, subpoena-ing, digging, and letting Trump hang himself by sooner or later doing something much dumber than extorting a political favor from Ukraine, they’d probably have done more damage to Cheeto in the upcoming election that a failed impeachment bid would ever do. They could have hammered the guy every single day for the whole year; instead we have this ridiculous kangaroo court currently going on in the Senate that will be over next week with its pre-ordained conclusion, and Trump will take a humongous victory lap.

Never underestimate the Dems' ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The only way they could make matters worse is if the nominate somebody un-electable like Liz. If Trump gets re-elected I will never forgive them.
If you really believe that drivel nothing would ever change your mind anyway. No different than the rest of the cult.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
" just like there is nothing that will convince the 40% of America who seethe with disgust at him to change theirs."

I don't think the right wing 40% = the left wing 40%

I'm reading A Very Stable Genius.

And it changed my mind about Trump.

I used to think he was evil.

But the book made me think he is grossly unqualified for the job of being president.

To blame trump's troubles on the Dems' sour grape requires a very narrow frame that omits lots of evidence to the contrary.

Trump brought most of this upon himself (I,e, hiring Flynn after he was compromised by the Russians, firing Comey . . . .)

Also, I may not agree with Steve Bannon but he is a smart person.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
My like/dislike ratio of the things Trump has actually been doing as POTUS is positive, so that's all the "qualified" he has to be.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My like/dislike ratio of the things Trump has actually been doing as POTUS is positive, so that's all the "qualified" he has to be.
What do you like?

You may have said this already but I can't remember what.

I don't get how you don't get that trump's rashness is potentially a catastrophic long term strategy.

Check out A Very Stable Genius.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Had they just kept investigating, subpoena-ing, digging, and letting Trump hang himself by sooner or later doing something much dumber than extorting a political favor from Ukraine, they’d probably have done more damage to Cheeto in the upcoming election that a failed impeachment bid would ever do.

I've been saying this from the beginning.

But

The media played an even bigger role in this... the constant bullshit stories since day 1 that required retractions, the constant crying wolf, the attempts to frame Trump as racist, "Trump hates gay people" etc.

In the long run the only people who fall for the BS are the people who already hated Trump in the first place...it merely strokes their confirmation bias.

As for his supporters, the media's constant flailings, lies, and exaggerations have the opposite, highly predictable effect of strengthening their support.

Many posters here still do not understand this...their reasoning is totally overtaken by their bias and their media-driven outrage.