The Curren Method

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
That's wild. I can't imagine another former top pro less suited to communicating his ideas to the public. Gerr was a no-brainer, but this seems like inevitable disappointment. But hey, if it works, that be pretty epic. So, worth a shot: who wants to go in on a group lesson by Tom??
Elite Group Lessons
- 3 or more people
- $300 per person for 3 hours ($30 extra with filmer)

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
That's wild. I can't imagine another former top pro less suited to communicating his ideas to the public. Gerr was a no-brainer, but this seems like inevitable disappointment. But hey, if it works, that be pretty epic. So, worth a shot: who wants to go in on a group lesson by Tom??
Elite Group Lessons
- 3 or more people
- $300 per person for 3 hours ($30 extra with filmer)
Some of the best teachers can communicate their ideas with minimal and even nonverbal communication eg. demonstration modeling, gestures, just a look...
And just because someone is very advanced at something doesn't make them a good teacher.

I would rather have an insightful teacher who didn't blab or lecture, just say or do what is needed at the right time. I have no idea if the Curren Method has those teachers.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
2 audiences here:

1) wealthy adult learners. think Zuck hiring Kai Lenny to teach him how to use a self powered foil.

2) intermediate surfers looking to progress past a plateau.

for #1, it’s a no brainer revenue stream so long as you have the patience. for #2 I think most could benefit more by watching film of themselves surfing and adjusting the obvious issues but some parents and wealthy may indulge on it all.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Call me a dork, but I'd drop $750 to surf with Tom Curren for a week.

*Edit: "Progression Week includes some surfing with Tom, meaning he probably shows up for 20 minutes one day.
Thats what i was thinking Too .Lots of people would pay just to surf with tom or get baked with him and listen to him play the keyboard or guitar

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Some of the best teachers can communicate their ideas with minimal and even nonverbal communication eg. demonstration modeling, gestures, just a look...
And just because someone is very advanced at something doesn't make them a good teacher.

I would rather have an insightful teacher who didn't blab or lecture, just say or do what is needed at the right time. I have no idea if the Curren Method has those teachers.
Sure it's possible. Maybe he can give you "just a look" to improve your frontside cutback. You've seen Tom "communicate", right? Again, I'd be willing to try it for the chance he can impart some style wisdom.

Thats what i was thinking Too .Lots of people would pay just to surf with tom or get baked with him and listen to him play the keyboard or guitar
category #3 should be they're biggest market: those of us who'd be willing to pay a couple hundred to spend some time with their surfing idol from when they were a grom. Let's get a group together for an elite sesh... I'm serious.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Sure it's possible. Maybe he can give you "just a look" to improve your frontside cutback. You've seen Tom "communicate", right? Again, I'd be willing to try it for the chance he can impart some style wisdom.
I think for some it would be a lot more powerful of instruction if (he could give some prior instruction on how to do a cutty...if necessary)
-he just did a cutty in front of you
A) and gives you a look = do it like that
B) you do your own,
get the positive look = yeah that's it bitch
get the negative look = no, that's not it kook

No words are really needed w/ any of that instruction.

If an instructor is very verbal, he could go on about weighting and unweighting, timing and turning the body for hours. Some people just don't learn very well that way.

That's all I am saying, just because a teacher struggles to express themselves verbally does not make them a poor teacher. There are different modalities to convey ideas, especially in such a physical activity.

Often times those types of teachers have insights more traditional teachers do not have to offer.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

My favorite youtube guitar tutorial channel is called "Shut up and play."

Uberkuque

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 19, 2014
2 audiences here:

1) wealthy adult learners. think Zuck hiring Kai Lenny to teach him how to use a self powered foil.

2) intermediate surfers looking to progress past a plateau.

for #1, it’s a no brainer revenue stream so long as you have the patience. for #2 I think most could benefit more by watching film of themselves surfing and adjusting the obvious issues but some parents and wealthy may indulge on it all.
I agree w studying yourself on film. The rare occasions I’ve been able to watch myself surfing I’m surprised at how weak my lines are. But the good thing is it makes me more conscious of where I’m going and what I’m intending to do while actually on a wave

Reactions: sdsrfr

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
The Curren method (you heard it here first):

1) Be born with ridiculous natural style and talent
2) Surf Rincon since it's down the street
3) Smoke lots of weed and disappear