The Craigslist Thread

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Man, it's hard to be realistic about your own used boards. I tried listing used XTRs for $500-600 and got nothing. Gotta be unsentimental when pricing it and look at it as a buyer. Sorry @rts265 if it's yellow, you're probably not getting $300 for it, no matter the shaper. Also, in my experience, 90% of SoCal surfers have no idea what XTR is or why it should cost more.
I'm not sure where you're located, but when I needed the space for new boards and was truly ready to sell em at more realistic prices, I dropped several boards at Birds Shed for consignment and they sold in a week. The shop takes a $100 off the sale, so you agree on the sales price beforehand. Most surfers are working from home and/or have flexible schedules right now, so the shops have so much foot traffic coming through browsing the racks and they are moving so many boards during the post-quarantine... rather than someone having to search on CL for your particular brand/shaper.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I got 375 for an oak foils yesterday. I hear you though. People just aren’t excited about the mackie or gmm2. I don’t get it. I think I’m down to 400 and 350 here on erbb. :shrug:

Reactions: oeste858

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Eps , side cut , not a well known So Cal shaper , and a fin box issue , plus epoxy color work and many people have had issues with air sprayed boards .

Odds are not in your favor with that Makie

• Sad
Reactions: rts265

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Why do you say that?
From experience. My asyms really shine in point/reef style waves where you can really open it up and link a few turns together.

When it comes to quick, punchy beachbreak it's hard to beat a thruster, IMO. I can do a quick pump to get things going and make it around sections I wouldn't otherwise be able to make.

With a keel on the toeside, I feel like you need to let it gather its own speed, to a certain extent. Down-the-line speed is absolutely incredible and the pivot is unmatched, but when it comes to the quickness out of the gate that you need with a lot of beachbreaks (or when there's only enough time to fit one or two quick turns), I prefer a thruster.

I'd love to try an asym thruster for beachbreaks though.

Reactions: oeste858

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Cool, thanks for the insight. The last year or so I've mostly surfed my banjo with EN twins (upright) so I am pretty adapted to the twin beach break life. Back in the good ol' days when there was actually surf in SD I was probably 70/30 beach/reef - maybe a little more the last few years.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Masterbater- Where are the fin boxes placed on your banjo relative to end of the tail?

EN would be pretty far forward, ya?

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
If you ride point breaks or reefs on occasion, then do it. Not really a beach break board, IMO.

I think the line about ridden once is bullshit based off the dirtiness of the wax.
Thanks for the info. If I hadn't just bought a new XTR Pyzel Astro Pop, I'd probably be more on the fence. It did give me that quick "what boards can I sell?" feeling, but I think I want to give one a go first. I need to take waxurDyl up on his offer to try one of his envious collection.

I surf out front of my place the majority of the time, which is a quick lil' beach break wave where you're usually lucky to get two turns off. The local reefs/points closest to my place are a time suck (getting down to the breaks) so I generally only surf them a few times a month during W/NW swell season.

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I got 375 for an oak foils yesterday. I hear you though. People just aren’t excited about the mackie or gmm2. I don’t get it. I think I’m down to 400 and 350 here on erbb. :shrug:
The dims on those boards are pretty niche.

I don't sell a lot of boards online, but I wonder if you cleaned up your Tomo and shot new photos,if you might have better luck. IDK

Reactions: rts265

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
riders shack or usedsurf could be the best option . Good prices and online presence plus they ship